Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mozzarella: What's the good stuff?

I just ate a pizza sub and the mozzarella cheese on it was awesome. I've had amazing pizzas that had the same amazing cheese. I've made pizzas with liberal amounts of mozzarella. I usually use whatever packet of shredded mozzarella from Publix we have in the fridge. But I've also used fresh soft balls of mozzarella too and those can get chewy from my experience. 

I'm finally going to ask the smart people. What mozzarella do I need to start using and what should I avoid? What's the most amazing mozzarella? And, what am I potentially doing that might be ruining my mozzarella?  
XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal

Comments

• Don't use the pre-shredded stuff. It contains a caking agent. 

Read this:  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-pizza-lab-the-best-low-moisture-mozzarella-for-pizzas.html

Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2016
    Fresh Buffalo mozzarella from Italy is the good stuff. It's made from water buffalo milk and is the creamy melty blobs on a lot of high end pizza and subs.

You can find fresh local (cows milk) mozz in most decent stores and it's a serviceable substitute. Fresh mozzarella comes in balls (like this size of a lemon or so) sometimes its in a tub in water, others it's in tight plastic wrap. You would slice this, not grate it. 

If you want to use shredded, always buy the best you can find in a block or wedge and shred it yourself. Shredded cheese in the bag starts with commodity cheese and has all kinds of anti caking agents added to it. It's garbage. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    im a fan of going to the deli section and having them cut me a block to take home to shred. im seeing my supermarket selling shredded stuff without the caking agents but its dryer than just shredding it yourself.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fresh mozzarella looks like this when you buy it:

And like this when melted on something

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2016
    I think freshness is the key and that's why when I take the mere 30 minutes to make a ball of it that is the best money can buy. For use on a pizza I then cut some into strips and then use an egg slicer to get uniform thickness in my pieces to dot my pizzas.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    I think freshness is the key and that's why when I take the mere 30 minutes to make a ball of it that is the best money can buy. For use on a pizza I then cut some into strips and then use an egg slicer to get uniform thickness in my pieces to dot my pizzas.

Wait, you can make mozzarella in 30 minutes? From scratch (whole milk I presume)? 
  • im a fan of going to the deli section and having them cut me a block to take home to shred. im seeing my supermarket selling shredded stuff without the caking agents but its dryer than just shredding it yourself.
    And it's already in a bag. You can't see it, smell it etc. you can grab a taste from your deli person to see which one is best. Plus Who knows what grade of cheese they started with before they bagged it up.
  • RRP
    RRP said:

Wait, you can make mozzarella in 30 minutes? From scratch (whole milk I presume)? 
    Sure can!

30 Minute Mozzarella

This is a summary of a recipe from a library book entitled Recipes For All Types Of Cheese - Recipe recap and revisions by RRP - Dunlap, IL

Ingredients needed:

1 gallon whole milk that has not been ultra-pasteurized

¼ teaspoon  liquid rennet (or ¼ rennet tablet) diluted in ¼ cup cool, unchlorinated water

1 teaspoon cheese salt (optional) BTW un-idolized Kosher salt is a fine substitute.

2 level teaspoons citric acid (powder)

Method:

1. Add citric acid to milk and mix thoroughly

2. heat the milk to 88° - I used my Thermapen

3. gently stir in the diluted rennet using an up and down motion and continue heating to 105°. Turn off heat and let curd set for a few minutes – I let it go for 4 minutes - Secret here is to stop stirring - otherwise it will break up - you want it solid!

4. The curds should look like thick yogurt. If the whey is still milky white instead of yellowish wait a few more minutes.

5. scoop out the curds with a slotted spoon into a 2 quart microwaveable bowl. Press the curds gently with your hands pouring off as much whey as possible. Reserve the whey.

6. microwave the curds for 1 minute on high. Drain off the whey and quickly work the hot cheese into a ball with a spoon or your hands using rubber gloves for protection.

7. microwave two more times for 35 seconds each time draining off the whey and working the cheese OR for it to be more creamy then just one microwave period for 35 seconds is better!

8.  knead the cheese quickly like bread dough until it is smooth. Sprinkle on the salt if desired while kneading and stretching. When the cheese stretches like taffy it is done, but if the curds break you need to reheat them again.

9. when the cheese is smooth and shiny it is ready to eat. If you want to eat it later cover it and refrigerate.

Yield: ¾ to 1 pound - Use of the by product of whey is a whole other topic!!!

• Good stuff Ron. It's a lot of fun too and you can make ricotta out of the remaining whey if you are in to that kind of thing. And if you make your own cheese, you clearly are :)

• RRP

RRP said:

This is the cheese made from the solids in the milk - note the line of how much whey is left out of that gallon.
  • Good stuff Ron. It's a lot of fun too and you can make ricotta out of the remaining whey if you are in to that kind of thing. And if you make your own cheese, you clearly are :)

Holy cow. I am definitely into that kind of thing. My wife swears by raw whole milk, non pasteurized, non homogenized. So we always have a gallon on hand. I'm definitely going to get into homemade mozzarella now! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2016
    Good stuff Ron. It's a lot of fun too and you can make ricotta out of the remaining whey if you are in to that kind of thing. And if you make your own cheese, you clearly are :)

Holy cow. I am definitely into that kind of thing. My wife swears by raw whole milk, non pasteurized, non homogenized. So we always have a gallon on hand. I'm definitely going to get into homemade mozzarella now! 
    Bet you never thought you were headed down this path when you asked your original question :). You went from shredded crap in a bag to making your own in under an hour!

IT's really fun and even more fun to tell everyone you make your own cheese. You will get some funny looks for sure. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    MisterCode said:
    My wife swears by raw whole milk, non pasteurized, non homogenized. So we always have a gallon on hand. 
    Interesting, where do you purchase such milk?

Regarding fresh mozz, some you can buy in tubs, the cheese is in small, marble-sized spheres.  If you get this style, make sure to cut the spheres in half, or they'll roll off the pie when you "snap" it onto your stone (and mozz smoke is NOT good smoke).  From personal experience. :o   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I used this the first time I made fresh moz now I just buy the rennet and citric acid as needed 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XLWTIO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1482860374&sr=8-2&keywords=mozzarella+cheese+making+kit&pi=SY200_QL40

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Botch said:
    MisterCode said:
    My wife swears by raw whole milk, non pasteurized, non homogenized. So we always have a gallon on hand. 

Regarding fresh mozz, some you can buy in tubs, the cheese is in small, marble-sized spheres.  If you get this style, make sure to cut the spheres in half, or they'll roll off the pie when you "snap" it onto your stone (and mozz smoke is NOT good smoke).  From personal experience. :o   
    Here I can only buy such milk from two stores so you may have to search for it. Try a health food store or a speciality food store maybe there in Ogden.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited December 2016
    I agree with all of the above about the greatness of homemade mozzarella. It's a load of fun and easy to do.  It took me a couple of tries to figure it out - but it's worth the little bit of trouble. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • RRP said:
    Botch said:
    MisterCode said:

Here I can only buy such milk from two stores so you may have to search for it. Try a health food store or a speciality food store maybe there in Ogden.
    Farmers markets are now a haven for non pasteurized dairy stuff too. 
  • Botch said:
    MisterCode said:

Here's what's in the fridge now:

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Costco has this stuff. Excellent mozzarella at a great price. 

https://goo.gl/images/hCsJSg

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Pretty sure regular pasteurized milk is fine for this. It's the ULTRA pasteurized stuff that doesn't work well (or at all). It's heated to a higher temp. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Botch said:
    MisterCode said:

@Botch Natural Grocers in southern utah sells raw milk, they do make you sign a waiver for it though.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    Pretty sure regular pasteurized milk is fine for this. It's the ULTRA pasteurized stuff that doesn't work well (or at all). It's heated to a higher temp. 

Is this correct?  ^^^^
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    GlennM said:

Is this correct?  ^^^^
    Yes. He is correct. It is my experience however that some milk labled pasteurized has actually been taken to temperatures nearing ultra pasteurized. The end result is not all milk labled pasteurized ends up making cheese. Sellers do this for safety concerns and longer shelf life. What this means for you is it may be necessary to try several brands of milk in order to find the one that makes cheese well. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @SciAggie thanks for the clarification. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Where do you find rennet and citric acid?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Citric acid can be found in the canning aisle of most grocery stores. I buy rennet at ModernistPantry.com. You can get CA there too but it's super cheap at the grocery store. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I have to try this. I have meaning to do this for about a year the last time this topic was discussed in depth, but never got around to it. I just have to do it.

What can you do with the whey? (I do not like ricotta) Is there something else? Or does that really require a separate discussion?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Sea2Ski said:
    I have to try this. I have meaning to do this for about a year the last time this topic was discussed in depth, but never got around to it. I just have to do it.

What can you do with the whey? (I do not like ricotta) Is there something else? Or does that really require a separate discussion?
    Use for risotto, oatmeal, rice or beans instead of pure water
    soup broth for cream-style soups
    soaking liquids for beans and grains
    ice cream or sorbet
    biscuits, bread, and pizza crust
    smoothies instead of dry whey powder
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Color me lazy. I buy it from the market and haven't been disappointed in the least. I've grown found of the fresh pearls in evoo with herbs or even the 4pk of fresh log style presliced portions. At some time I may dive into making my own. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814

SciAggie said:
    GlennM said:

Is this correct?  ^^^^
    Yes. He is correct. It is my experience however that some milk labled pasteurized has actually been taken to temperatures nearing ultra pasteurized. The end result is not all milk labled pasteurized ends up making cheese. Sellers do this for safety concerns and longer shelf life. What this means for you is it may be necessary to try several brands of milk in order to find the one that makes cheese well. 
    Not all milk that is ultra-pasteurized is clearly labeled as such.  Check the fine print on the label. UHP or UP are sometimes all that is printed on the label.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.