Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on Beef Tenderloin for Christmas

Options
I have searched here for ideas on cooking a beef tenderloin and it appears everyone loves the hard to find Adam Perry Lange method/recipe.  I've done a google search on him and learned a little and may want to buy his book Serious BBQ.  But for now, can someone share with me the basics.  I hear how everyone loves it, but no one really describes it.  Is it the rub that's so great?  Is it smoked or grilled?  About how long, etc.  I think I gathered the reverse sear portion, but other than that, don't know much about it.  Would appreciate any information.  Thanks. Steve
Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2016
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Here is the recipe from Serious BBQ

• SGH
    Options

Dillon how do you make the link be the word "Here"?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Thank you so much!  looks delicious and I'm going to run with it for Christmas.  Really appreciate the help.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have only done a whole beef tenderloin once and just cooked it indirect at 300 till it was 130, pulled let rest for 20 minutes while I cooked a ton of veggies.  I rubbed it with olive oil and a Montreal steak rub I had.  It came out pretty good.  This looks interesting. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    SGH said:
    FYI This recipe taste great on Tri Tip as well.  We are traditionalists and lover our Santa Maria style but sometimes you just need to try something else. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • stevez
    Options
    I decided to give myself an early Christmas gift and ordered the cookbook, Serious BBQ.  As I'm reading the official recipe it calls for having a hot side of the grill and indirect side.  This recipe isn't specific to the BGE, so I'm asking if those who have done this have any special modifications to the Egg?  Is it better to do the reverse sear or indirect/direct the whole time?  I don't have a way of doing half of the grill grate blocked or indirect and the other half full direct.  Other than removing the Plate setter at some point.  Thank you again.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Tenderloins are the hardest to get right and the easiest to mess up.  
    Very lean cut and not a moving muscle, so it will be tender and tasty until over cooked...I would not go past 125 degrees rested temp..(we pull at 118-121). We don't tent so carry over cooking is somewhat reduced That said if your guest have aversion to looking/eating rare cuts...give them an over cooked hamburger!  ;-)
    We did a whole tenderloin at a fest, (tied to make it uniformed), salt dry cured for several hours, fast seared close to the coals turning every 30seconds and pulled at 120, and let rest in an herbed board sauce, turning frequently to coat....Didn't last long

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I was just asked to do one for Christmas. Think I'll give this a try. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SGH said:

Dillon how do you make the link be the word "Here"?
    @SGH

What you do is Highlight a word, then click the link/ chain above

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @xfire_ATX
    Thank you brother. Now how do you highlight a word on an iPhone? 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,956
    edited December 2016
    Options
    stevez said:
    I decided to give myself an early Christmas gift and ordered the cookbook, Serious BBQ.  As I'm reading the official recipe it calls for having a hot side of the grill and indirect side.  This recipe isn't specific to the BGE, so I'm asking if those who have done this have any special modifications to the Egg?  Is it better to do the reverse sear or indirect/direct the whole time?  I don't have a way of doing half of the grill grate blocked or indirect and the other half full direct.  Other than removing the Plate setter at some point.  Thank you again.
    When I have done this recipe I have pretty much followed it to the letter as best can be interpreted on the Egg.  What that means is that you actually get a good sear around the outside *first*, before cooking it indirect.  I think that this helps to prevent over-cooking it.  FWIW this is not a reverse sear.  With a reverse sear, you sear it at the end.  

So I'll sear it pretty good direct, then drop the PS in to finish it indirect.  Note that in my experience it can take quite a bit more time to come up to your final temp than the recipe indicates.  Mine have taken at least an hour with a 5lb tenderloin.

As to your initial question as to what makes this special?  I don't know, the combination of smoke, rub, and glaze on the outer crust is just about perfect.  I've had the best results using oak for smoke as well BTW.  

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    SGH said:
    @xfire_ATX
    Thank you brother. Now how do you highlight a word on an iPhone? 
    @SGH Hold your finger/ thumb on the word and this pop@SGH

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • stevez
    Options
    Thanks John.  I'll do the initial sear and follow closely.  Too much praise for this recipe to not try it in my mind.  I'll let everyone know who is interested.  Appreciate feedback.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky