Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Brisket Question

tikigriller
tikigriller Posts: 1,389
Putting one on tomorrow night for Sunday. Want to get one more practice run in before Christmas SRF Brisket dinner. 

Any benefit to trimming and rubbing tonight instead of just an hour or so before putting it on?  Would
it be a bad thing to do?
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    I always trim and rub brisket 8 hours or so before it hits the smoker.  Dont know if there's any benefit to it but it doesnt seem to hurt. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    You'll get different answers, but with my schedule, I'm usually a rub and cook guy. They always turn out excellente' !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I don't think it matters much one way or the other.  I expect variations in individual pieces of meat will have more of a difference from cook to cook moreso than when you trim and season.
    NOLA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    You'll get the a better smoke ring if you go directly from the fridge to the egg if you're into that sorta thing. 
  • tikigriller
    Ok. 

Sounds like if if I feel like doing it tonight, go for it, but it won't make much of a difference if I decide to just get sloshed instead. 

Leaning towards getting sloshed. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Ok. 

Sounds like if if I feel like doing it tonight, go for it, but it won't make much of a difference if I decide to just get sloshed instead. 

Why can't you do both?
    NOLA
  • I would rub it sooner rather than later

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• tikigriller
    buzd504 said:
    Ok. 

Why can't you do both?
    I just may! Will depend on how sloshed I am after putting up the Christmas tree

Livermore, California
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    fwiw.... I usually trim my brisket then double wrap it in plastic wrap. I then inject it with " beef, better than bullion . fridge overnight. unwrap , rub, and on it goes while still stone cold. 
    More meat please !! :-)
  • tikigriller
    XLentEGG said:
    fwiw.... I usually trim my brisket then double wrap it in plastic wrap. I then inject it with " beef, better than bullion . fridge overnight. unwrap , rub, and on it goes while still stone cold. 
    Oh now I am ready for Sunday indeed!!!!!

Livermore, California
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I usually trim early, just because I shouldn't be playing with knives around the time the brisket goes on. I usually rub just before putting it on, because rubbing my meat after a few, or many, drinks poses no danger to myself.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tikigriller
    DMW said:
    I usually trim early, just because I shouldn't be playing with knives around the time the brisket goes on. I usually rub just before putting it on, because rubbing my meat after a few, or many, drinks poses no danger to myself.
    I'll make sure to have my socks and pillow case close by......

Livermore, California
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    DMW said:
    I'll make sure to have my socks and pillow case close by......

Those are for after you are finished, not when you start.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Rub drink cook drink pull, wrap cooler, drink.
    Then serve
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tikigriller
    You're all wrong. You said to Rub before drink. My garage beverage refrigerator is never passed when arriving home from anywhere without snagging beer. And time really makes no difference, drink before rub is required. 

Livermore, California
  • I am tuned in on this! Never done a brisket before but I can't wait to try. I can't even find one where I live. 
    Sumter. South Carolina
    Bring Your Broom, Cuz it's a mess
    Medium BGE, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle
    2 Pugs (Muffins and Poundcakes)

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    You're all wrong. You said to Rub before drink. My garage beverage refrigerator is never passed when arriving home from anywhere without snagging beer. And time really makes no difference, drink before rub is required. 
    Technicality based on proximity. Never hold u in brisket court, should there be a sober judge.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Might be a little late but imho it depends on the salt content of the rub.  More salt means earlier application dissolve and work it's capillary action into the meat.  You can keep it in the fridge while doing this.  There is likely debate on whether the egg needs the salt solution for moistness but ultimately imho if you are putting salt on it should be earlier not later
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • tikigriller
    Not too late at all. Just finished dinner. Gonna clean and move on to the brisket. Entering mental numbness but in a fascinating way, so it should benefit the entertaining value of trimming. 

Livermore, California
  • I usually let the wife trim, them I rub it, then we go to dinner, then the meat goes in the egg and I go to sleep, no pun intended.... 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • tikigriller
    Jameson19 said:
    I usually let the wife trim, them I rub it, then we go to dinner, then the meat goes in the egg and I go to sleep, no pun intended.... 
    I was hoping for such a different ending then going to sleep. 

Livermore, California
  • Hahaha me too...

I'd like to see the results if you rub hours before putting meat in the egg. I just grabbed 2 briskets and 2 pork shoulders at Costco tonight. Putting them on Sunday night for the Monday potluck at work. It's gonna feel weird when I drag a cooler full of meat in the office and tell everyone to go away from my desk
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • @tikigriller egg on a burger is the way to go. Totally approve of such! The runnier the yolk the better

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I am tuned in on this! Never done a brisket before but I can't wait to try. I can't even find one where I live. 
    Maybe you're not looking in the right places, where about do you reside, sir?
    Jameson19 said:
    @tikigriller egg on a burger is the way to go. Totally approve of such! The runnier the yolk the better
    Yep!  This yolk broke. Bummer but still great!  Used Butt Rub for the seasoning. Man was it good!

Livermore, California
  • Still the best burger condiment!

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • tikigriller
    Trimmed wild mildly sloshed may not have been a good idea.  About a half inch slice. 

Livermore, California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You're supposed to trim the brisket.
    Tell ya one thing. Costco might have great prices per lb., but you are paying 2.69 a lb.  for a lot of fat!!

rubbed and back in the fridge. 

Livermore, California
  • @Jameson19.  We do it reverse.  The wife rubs.  I get some, I mean I trim.  The meat definitely goes into the egg.  Again and again.  Dinner can happen. It's all about positioning both meats. 
    South Buffalo, New York