Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - what's your favorite fiction novel or author?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Haven't read much fiction for the last 20 years or so. Sometimes go back to old "hard boiled" detective stories, Dashiel Hammett, Raymond Chandler, etc. Not much humor there, altho there is usually a good bit of sarcasm.

Read just about everything William Gibson and Bruce Sterling wrote before I checked out. Like wise Vonnegut, who is one of my younger son's big favorites. Ever try Philip ****? I've read that his "Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" may be heading to being a movie. Not humor. Really, terribly scary.

Or jump into something quite odd. "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thos. Pynchon. Bizarre, convoluted, full of conspiracy, and some really ludicrous laughs. A story set in WW2, about a fellow named Tyrone Slothrop, who had a strange operation as a child. The result is that he becomes, ahem, erotically stimulated when he is standing next to where a V2 rocket is about to land.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Other thoughts; have you read any Wodehouse?  The Jeeves stories are very funny, and a very quick and easy read.

I've also been going through all my Dad's old Rex Stout books.  Nero Wolfe is a great detective.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fiction, comedy, unintended satire:  Donald Trump "Art of the Deal"
    Used to read a lot of Ian Rankin. Now mostly Bill Bryson (which is travel and history so maybe not fiction) and I go back to some classics every year. Hemingway in particular. Conrad, reading Siddhartha again right now but never read any other Hesse. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • My tolerance for mediocre writing is pretty low, even if the stories themselves are interesting.  

By the way for non-fiction if you aren't reading Coates you are missing a contemporary Baldwin.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Mark Twain. All day, every day. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    My tolerance for mediocre writing is pretty low, even if the stories themselves are interesting.  

By the way for non-fiction if you aren't reading Coates you are missing a contemporary Baldwin.
    I've always enjoyed his stuff  for The Atlantic but have not yet read his latest book. It's been on on my Kindle for many months but hasn't bubbled to the top yet.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Dr. Seuss, by a light year.  He writes at a level that most people can understand (this works for elections also).  Thneeds.  THNEEDS!  Brilliant!
    Dr. Seuss, by a light year.  He writes at a level that most people can understand (this works for elections also).  Thneeds.  THNEEDS!  Brilliant!
    I missed you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Forgot one: Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull).   I've read most if not all of his other books, and really liked them all.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    If you like the lee child / Daniel silva kind of stuff try I Am Pilgrim. Has the same flaws as all those books but it's like getting 4 of them packed into 1. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    "Glass Bikini" by Seymour Hare

"Yellow River" by I. P. Daley

"You Look Wonderful Tonight" by Heywood Jablomy

"The Drunk Wore a Pillow" by Justin Casey Feldowne

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Skrullb said:
    Mark Twain. All day, every day. 
    Related distantly and agree.  Granny's last name was Clemens.  Good call.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • I really enjoy C S Forrester's Horatio Hornblower series.
    have re read them several times over the years along with Hemingway and Twain.
    recently I read a book called The Shack by William Paul Young. Religious based book that had me yelling , putting my Nook down and then picking it back up to read more of it. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    "Glass Bikini" by Seymour Hare

"Yellow River" by I. P. Daley

"You Look Wonderful Tonight" by Heywood Jablomy

"The Drunk Wore a Pillow" by Justin Casey Feldowne

Lol. "20 yards to the outhouse" by Willie Makeit, illustrated by Betty Wont 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2016
    Botch said:
    For non-humorous, give me Tolkein 
     Brother Botch, I have a copy of everything that J.R.R.Tolkien released. I also have a copy of everything that his son Christopher released. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Penthouse Letters
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH said:
    Botch said:
     Brother Botch, I have a copy of everything that J.R.R.Tolkien released. I also have a copy of everything that his son Christopher released. 

I didn't know Tolkien released one of those Guides for Dummies.  Pretty nice of you SGH to keep that around for kids who don't read good.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    SGH said:
    Botch said:

I didn't know Tolkien released one of those Guides for Dummies.  Pretty nice of you SGH to keep that around for kids who don't read good.
    I have a couple of books in that line that are not Tolkien books. 3 if memory serves. 2 of them are "Tolkien Guides".  And I have the 1 Tolkien for dummies as well. I keep it handy for my liberal friends ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Scottie's got a certificate of hygiene there from the state of Mississippi.  Explains a lot about the "filthy" hippy. =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon has everything. Love, war, history, and written in such a way you cannot put the books down. 9  books so far and so good they made a TV series on Starz channel of her books.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • nolaegghead
    bgebrent said:
    Scottie's got a certificate of hygiene there from the state of Mississippi.  Explains a lot about the "filthy" hippy. =)
    That's for his wife, but I like your explanation better....

Hardcover. One of maybe 1200 printed, most destroyed/remaindered. And very few signed. I don't read this on the subway.  

The wife's "Christmas Carol". 1843. Handcolored plates by John Leech. Printed on the day of our anniversary. But like 150 years earlier. 

Got a bunch of crap like this.

I don't get out much. Once I kissed a girl. It was awesome. 

Hope to again some day. 

• frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    I like mysteries and Robert Crais and Michael Connelly are a couple of favorite writers.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Stephen King
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

• I don't get out much. Once I kissed a girl. It was awesome. 

Why did you go the other way then?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I don't get out much. Once I kissed a girl. It was awesome. 

Why did you go the other way then?
    It gets cold in a fishing cabin. And when one of the guys is a short toothless stranger, with a flat head for resting a beer, and from an exotic and erotic area of the world (canada)....  well. When in Toronto....

but no kissing. 

Don't tell the wife tho. She thinks it's about drinking and fishing and good food. 

Really had to cover for the latter when she saw the fotos of indian food on prison trays. 

• Next time I'll get proper thali platters so you can maintain the ruse.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    This is a list of 10 from about 500 of my favorites. Adding Shakespeare to this list, (Richard III, Henry V, etc., just because I am compelled to do so) needs no explanation.

I could easily add another 50, which I believe to be just as impactful, and thought provoking.

In Search of Lost Time - Proust
    Ulysses - Joyce
    The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
    Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky
    One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez
    The Trial - Kafka
    Catch 22 - Heller
    Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
    The Stranger - Camus
    For Whom The Bell Tolls - Hemingway
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM