Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Do any of you guys have side gigs?

Options

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of folks with side gigs. Maybe I should find something but I've found that my free time is the most valuable thing I have. 
    I guess part of the answer depends on whether the side gig is because it is enjoyable or it is needed financially (it always helps financially - who doesn't want a few extra dollars?). 
    True words here, Some folks need the drive, some the money, others need to just stop and smell the roses, right before my grandson drives the battery powered Gator over the rose bed. Grand kids keep us busy, no time for a side gig and thanks to Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan, private pension plan and some prudent investments have the money to enjoy the time with family - does not get better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of folks with side gigs. Maybe I should find something but I've found that my free time is the most valuable thing I have. 
    I guess part of the answer depends on whether the side gig is because it is enjoyable or it is needed financially (it always helps financially - who doesn't want a few extra dollars?). 
    For me it is both. I love building websites AND making money. I can survive fine without the money, but when people call me wanting to do a job it is hard to turn the money down. 
    This is what caused my divorce years ago. My wife was a hair stylist making crazy amounts of money. Too hard for her not to turn down the money for working extra hours. We never saw each other and we drifted apart. I learned a valuable life lesson early on. Time with my wife is the best side gig I can have.
    I respect that. You have to have limits.  I have been married 25 years. A little time apart does us good! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

I'm starting to dip my toe into commercial and residential property management and would like to get into that full time.

I did residential property management for a couple years, just one house, ensure it was rented and have things fixed as required while the owners were stationed in Germany.  
    It takes a special personality to do this, one that I don't have.  Constantly had renters skipping out, leaving disgusting messes, new renters trying to bypass any security deposits (or offering me a 40-lb chunk of turquoise as a deposit!), and things (plumbing, swamp coolers, ovens, furnaces) alwaysalwaysalways broke the evening before a 3-day weekend!  Every. Single. Time!!
    I've worked with several AF officers who did this, not always planning to, but it became a very lucrative business for them and that's what they did after retirement, so it is doable.
    But its definitely not for me; never again.   :s

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @Botch I hear ya. One of my closet friends used to do rentals. After tenets burned down two of his houses he called it quits. The final straw was when a woman piled everything her cheating boyfriend owned into the living room, gassed it and torched the place. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    so glad i passed on a three family for my first house and bought a small house on a lake, then bought a second house on a lake up north for the weekends =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    My grandparents were in real estate and had lots of rentals.  They were a classic story of the American Dream.  Both started dirt poor, but worked their butts off and ended up doing very well for themselves.  They put three grandkids through college, including me.  But watching them deal with rentals over the years...I have no interest in that at all.  My mom is helping my grandpa with them now, and they're working on getting them sold off and out of their hands.

My dad had a side gig, he did wedding videos in the metro ATL area (Gaddis Video) for 30yrs, part of that full time.  He's phased it out now though, he's burned out, and doesn't need the extra income.  Me and my sister are both grown and out of the house.

My side gig was part hobby turn business part wanting some additional source of income in case I get laid off.  Consulting engineering has lots of work to do...but not always where you live, and I will never be one of those Company Men who uproots his family and moves for a job.  Seen it happen too many times and then they still get laid off when things slow down.  At my previous employer a guy spent about a year leading a project in India, then finally sold his house and moved his wife and kids over there with him, and 3 weeks later the client canceled the job.  He didn't get laid off, just moved to a new project, but he came back to the States, had to buy a new house, etc.  Bump that.

Anyhow...3yrs of side gig and it grew to where it was tough to keep up with it.  Then we decided to move to be closer to family, so I'd have to leave my day job anyways, so now is the time to try and take it full time and see if it'll go.  Here's hoping!!
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    My grandparents were in real estate and had lots of rentals.  They were a classic story of the American Dream.  Both started dirt poor, but worked their butts off and ended up doing very well for themselves.  They put three grandkids through college, including me.  But watching them deal with rentals over the years...I have no interest in that at all.  My mom is helping my grandpa with them now, and they're working on getting them sold off and out of their hands.

My dad had a side gig, he did wedding videos in the metro ATL area (Gaddis Video) for 30yrs, part of that full time.  He's phased it out now though, he's burned out, and doesn't need the extra income.  Me and my sister are both grown and out of the house.

My side gig was part hobby turn business part wanting some additional source of income in case I get laid off.  Consulting engineering has lots of work to do...but not always where you live, and I will never be one of those Company Men who uproots his family and moves for a job.  Seen it happen too many times and then they still get laid off when things slow down.  At my previous employer a guy spent about a year leading a project in India, then finally sold his house and moved his wife and kids over there with him, and 3 weeks later the client canceled the job.  He didn't get laid off, just moved to a new project, but he came back to the States, had to buy a new house, etc.  Bump that.

Anyhow...3yrs of side gig and it grew to where it was tough to keep up with it.  Then we decided to move to be closer to family, so I'd have to leave my day job anyways, so now is the time to try and take it full time and see if it'll go.  Here's hoping!!
    If you don't mind me asking who did you work for in Augusta? 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

He gets the silicone at Home Depot!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Left teaching electrical wiring back in 2007, started the electrical contracting business back up found a great partner to run the business in 2012 and retired. Now a full time BGE cult member! Egg Fest nut! Also buy and sell Junk/Antiques/Collectables.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    I've got a part-time sign business - mainly truck lettering and small decals.  It's dying down though.  Lots of competition and technology changes.   
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Used to do some HVAC/R moonlighting but, no more.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dgaddis1
    edited November 2016
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:

CH2M Hill was my previous employer.  I think they just go by CH2M now?  They closed the Augusta office 2yrs ago, some folks transferred to Spartanburg/Greeneville, but most of us stayed and re-opened as the engineering arm of Century 3 Inc, which was a great change that I kind of hate to leave.

And for the record, I wasn't trying to call CH out.  I've seen lots of folks be the Company Man and get the shaft from all sorts of companies.  CH actually did right by me for the most part.  When the recession hit they tried to keep as many folks as they could, instead of laying people off they essentially made them part time, where we could work so long as we had billable work, but if not we stayed home without pay, but, we did keep insurance, continue to accrue time off, etc.  

My dad even had 4 different employers (accounting was his day job) in a 1.5yr time frame because everywhere he went got bought out by a larger company and then shut down.  Same thing has happened to my mom several times.  I've been laid off when my office shut down, changed jobs once before I got laid off when the Great Recession hit, changed jobs again when my portion of a project was coming to a close, and changed jobs once because the job sucked and a better *much* higher paying job fell into my lap.

So watching my parents get laid off again and again when companies closed or downsized, and having to change jobs myself (4 moves in the 9yrs I've been out of college), having so many coworkes who've moved all over the country for various employers, all of that has lead me to want to be more independent, to feed myself so to speak, not rely on The Man.  Both of my grandpas worked for the same company in the same location their entire working lives, made decent money, and retired with good pension plans.  That world doesn't exist anymore though.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    CH2M Hill was my previous employer.
    I have never heard of them. I worked in Augusta for a few years. I was just wondering where you had worked. 

• dgaddis1
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    I have never heard of them. I worked in Augusta for a few years. I was just wondering where you had worked. 
    The Augusta office used to be Lockwood Greene, which got bought by CH2M Hill, they're one of the largest consulting firms in the world.  We do consulting work with local manufacturing/chemical plants, so I've done projects in a lot of the local plants.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I worked for a CPA firm and for E-Z-Go Textron and GIW Industries. That was after college. Before college I worked at 3 papermills, and a couple of other places! 

• dgaddis1
    Options
    Cool.  I've done some work at Resolute Forest Products (fun trivia - largest user of electricity in GA until last year when a paper mill in Savannah took the lead), a little work at Kimberly Clarke, but most of my work has been in chemical plants doing piping work.  I've got some riding buddies that work at Textron and International Paper.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I ran a small BBQ catering company for about two years...I could probably still be doing it today, but side gig's are too time consuming. My wife and two girls take up ALL of my free time. Not much profit margin in BBQ for the time it takes and the cost of the product. Money ain't everything
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    dgaddis1 said:
    The Augusta office used to be Lockwood Greene, which got bought by CH2M Hill, they're one of the largest consulting firms in the world.  We do consulting work with local manufacturing/chemical plants, so I've done projects in a lot of the local plants.
    Very familiar with CH2M. I see their drawings frequently. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I feel like a slacker here with my 50 hour a week only job. Wife can't stand as much as I work now since I don't get much time off except weekends. I'm pretty sure if I make it to old age I won't look back and say I wished I worked more. We're DINK,s and live below our means so we rather have our time off. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Left teaching electrical wiring back in 2007, started the electrical contracting business back up found a great partner to run the business in 2012 and retired. Now a full time BGE cult member! Egg Fest nut! Also buy and sell Junk/Antiques/Collectables.
    .....how could you forget your primary work responsibilities?....what ever Ms Kay wants you to do.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    I do some IT consulting on the side and help friends and family with PC/IT issue's. I get paid in Bourbon from the friends and family :) that's the best part. I'm a network engineer M-F
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2016
    Options
    After 7 years as a stay at home dad... I am now ready to dive back into something (it will need to be flexible no way we both do 45_50 + hours a week away from kids) . We will see where the wind takes me, it's been a blast being with my kids since their birth but it is also nice to know changes are ahead.

I have been known to drive Lyft (like Uber) Friday and sat nights... had a nice streak of revenue for 6 months just working 2 days... it's tapered off (too many drivers) but I will get back out and see how it is Friday.
    Seattle, WA
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    My side gig is playing golf and I will take your money while doing it. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I thought we were talking about mistresses.  I get enough work talk IRL ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS