Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Do any of you guys have side gigs?

Options

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not a job, but the Rutland service I provide that keeps me hopping - shipped 20 gaskets Friday and 13 today. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble!
    That is a lot of gaskets Ron! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not a job, but the Rutland service I provide that keeps me hopping - shipped 20 gaskets Friday and 13 today. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble!
    Holy cow Ron how many forums you on buddy?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    RRP said:
    Holy cow Ron how many forums you on buddy?
    Just this one about gaskets, but word of mouth gets my name as a contact on several others.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    blasting said:

I'm really hoping to bring to market some new products I've been working on for the Q industry.  I'm trying not to get to excited about this prospect until I know if I can pull it off.
    Now you know we are all wanting to know more about that! 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Same here @johnkitchens. That was about the level we were at. Great for "walking around" money. My remaining sites are nowhere near that level now, but making enough to keep them running especially since they are absolutely no maintenance. If I had to actually "work" on them, it would probably be a different story.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I agree @Dredger. I love walking around money! My ultimate goal is to build a portfolio of e-commerce sites each producing a decent income. I used to think I needed a whale when it came to a site. I thought I had to have one site producing a large amount of revenue, but I have discovered it is a lot easier to have a portfolio of sites. 

After the initial site build it is very low maintenance, and the rewards can be great. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Interesting Thread!  

From age 19 until about 7 years ago, I've been a part-time musician.  Actually helped feed myself early-on; once I made AF Captain I did it more for fun (plus to pay for the newest toy).  My five years in Albuquerque were the heaviest, my reputation grew quick and when my "current" band had a weekend off, I was always asked to sit in with another band, was playing 2 to 4 nights every week (along with my "real" job as an engineer).  I was never that good, but I played a mix of instruments (fiddle, harmonica, pedal steel, plus a good ear for that "third" harmony vocal part) that I could fit in with most bar bands. Couldn't sustain that kind of schedule anymore, but it was fun back then.
    I've also taught Nature Photography off and on, nothing big.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

I'm really hoping to bring to market some new products I've been working on for the Q industry.  I'm trying not to get to excited about this prospect until I know if I can pull it off.
    Now you know we are all wanting to know more about that! 

Specifics wouldn't be prudent on a public forum, but I'll be vague about a couple.  

The one I'm most excited about is a high end vertical cabinet with a huge twist.  If I can get it off the ground, I think it will knock that market segment for a loop.  On a smaller scale, I have an accessory for our eggs that is a simple, no brainer product, that isn't being offered by anyone yet.  

Phoenix 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Does counting the days (and years) until retirement count? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    amateur decoy carver and dog trainer, 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

I am a part time Indian Chief. Things have been a bit slow lately....I guess there is not a lot of call for Indian Chief-in. Not a bad gig when you get work. Sit around with squaw and smoke the peace pipe. Tribe go out and rustle up some cattle for dinner. An occasional trip to the Tee Pee with squaw. Ha, it’s a job.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Chauffeur for daughter and bank for wife.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• johnkitchens
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Chauffeur for daughter and bank for wife.
    I have that same job! 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    fishing trips start each friday and end monday, then i sneak 50 hrs in for work and then theres the time i put in for beverage sampling and preparing for the next fishing trip on friday, there simply is no time for a gig. i could guide on the boat, but its just not always about money. started seeing ice on the ponds this week, pulled the boat out til march. 4 weeks til good ice and the fishing starts again, this is literally a vacation for me =) i only have to work now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    I started a side gig almost 4yrs ago, building custom bicycle wheels, and next week I'll be going full time with it, and expanding my services to offer general bike repair and maintenance and upgrades and whatnot.  Think service/parts/accessories only bike shop that also ships custom wheels all over the country.  I've been trying to go full time for a year now, ever since we moved across state, but we've been saddled with two mortgages and I couldn't afford to leave my engineering job, so for the last year I've spent Mon-Thurs in Augusta at my day job and the old house, and weekends in Macon at the new house and my shop. We're supposed to close on the sale of our house on Tuesday next week!  Then I'll be in Macon full time.  Stoked to say the least.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I'd like to pick something up that I enjoy and no risk.... just not sure what that is yet.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    @Dredger @johnkitchens - Ditto on Penguin & Panda. Pigeon wasn't too bad but still hit a lot of our clients (not terrible, just annoying). Lately the Adwords changes have been more problematic then the organic changes, but the only thing consistent about this business is change.

If you haven't already - checkout flippa.com - great place for buying & selling websites
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Possumtrot
    Options
    Full time job right now is being retired.  It's so boring (and I hate it, seriously) I picked up a side job of lurking here.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    My whole career now is my former side gig. I need a new side gig!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    slovelad said:
    I build farm tables l, barn doors. Etc as a hobby. So far I haven't made much money, I've given it all to Milwaukee for their cordless tools. That being said, it's a free hobby, so that's always a plus 

Your barn door is open!

What do you get for a barn door?  Where are you located?  I am having at least two put in my home renovation.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    In the past I have done IT work for people/small businesses.
    I put in 50 hours a week and have 6 kids.  The 6 kids would be my side gig now.  If I need extra money, I can design tooling for the automotive stamping industry. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

My side gig is Tax Preparation.

I'm starting to dip my toe into commercial and residential property management and would like to get into that full time.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of folks with side gigs. Maybe I should find something but I've found that my free time is the most valuable thing I have. 
    I guess part of the answer depends on whether the side gig is because it is enjoyable or it is needed financially (it always helps financially - who doesn't want a few extra dollars?). 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Amateur psychiatrist.  Actually side gig is residential real estate investment.  Come to think of it, since my real job is being eliminated at the end of December (truth), side gig will be my full time gig for a bit. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of folks with side gigs. Maybe I should find something but I've found that my free time is the most valuable thing I have. 
    +1

I had a side gig, then I got a better 9-5 gig and dropped the side.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I guess part of the answer depends on whether the side gig is because it is enjoyable or it is needed financially (it always helps financially - who doesn't want a few extra dollars?). 
    For me it is both. I love building websites AND making money. I can survive fine without the money, but when people call me wanting to do a job it is hard to turn the money down.