Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extreme Drought = Burn Ban = No Smoked Turkey

So I am here in Chattanooga, TN and our governor has issued a burn ban. In that burn ban you are not allowed to use a charcoal grill. Gas grill and dryers are ok but no charcoal. There goes my Thanksgiving plans. I would just ignore it, but it is a $2,500 fine if you are caught and we live in a residential neighborhood. 

Comments

• I would say go ahead because who is going to be out enforcing this on Thanksgiving, but then I saw what the fine could cost you. That would be one expensive turkey. What a bummer. I know which governor I would not be voting for next time around.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited November 2016
    jmcnutt5 said:
    So I am here in Chattanooga, TN and our governor has issued a burn ban. In that burn ban you are not allowed to use a charcoal grill. Gas grill and dryers are ok but no charcoal. There goes my Thanksgiving plans. I would just ignore it, but it is a $2,500 fine if you are caught and we live in a residential neighborhood. 
    So all of those morons using propane turkey fryers in their garages are in the clear while you can't use your BGE. Yeah...that makes sense.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Sounds like a hate crime to me.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Man, that sucks.  I probably don't know enough to comment, but I fail to see a substantial risk from grilling, vs. the amount of people affected by an overprotective ban.

I'd be tempted to fab up a giant sploof. 

In Phx, they have no burn days for fires.  They blame the environment and call it a pollution advisory.  Coincidentally, these days predictably land on New years eve, and the fourth of July.  It's a scam.
    Phoenix 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I went and asked the local fire chief if I could run a smoker during our severe draught several years back. He said if they got a call about the smoke, and nobody was around the smoker when they showed up, then someone would be getting a ticket.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    It's bad here too. It's been like 55 days or so without rain. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I'm in Knoxville and I just checked "The Free Times Press" and "The Knoxville News Sentinel" they both said there was a ban but it was only for "open burning of construction/household/camp fires" for 51 counties.

I was going to smoke a turkey on the BGE also but now I am going to cook it over a open pit fire full of tires ... FIGHT THE POWER!!!!

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• Sounds like a hate crime to me.

Don't they realize the turkey isn't going to cook itself???
  • jmcnutt5 said:
    Sounds like a hate crime to me.

Don't they realize the turkey isn't going to cook itself???
    We have to cook the turkey, technically it is way worse for your health raw.

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Much more likely to cause a fire deep frying than using bge - your gov must be dim 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • I'm in Knoxville and I just checked "The Free Times Press" and "The Knoxville News Sentinel" they both said there was a ban but it was only for "open burning of construction/household/camp fires" for 51 counties.

I was going to smoke a turkey on the BGE also but now I am going to cook it over a open pit fire full of tires ... FIGHT THE POWER!!!!

So I did some digging and found exactly what you stated on the state's website: https://www.tn.gov/governor/news/46738

But here is a different article from our local news that seems to take it a step further: http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/33707655/burn-ban-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-region-wide-burn-ban

As @HofstraJet mentioned above, smoking a turkey on the egg is a much smaller risk (if any risk at all) than people using their fryers.  I will make a few calls to our local authorities and see if I can figure something out for sure.  I will let you all know what I find out.

• @jmcnutt5 I am not looking at your links as I plan on using the ignorant hillbilly defense when I go to federal prison for my annual thanksgiving tire fire/turkey roast.

- Calico Jack Rackham

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    jmcnutt5 said:

I'm in Knoxville and I just checked "The Free Times Press" and "The Knoxville News Sentinel" they both said there was a ban but it was only for "open burning of construction/household/camp fires" for 51 counties.

So I did some digging and found exactly what you stated on the state's website: https://www.tn.gov/governor/news/46738

But here is a different article from our local news that seems to take it a step further: http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/33707655/burn-ban-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-region-wide-burn-ban

As @HofstraJet mentioned above, smoking a turkey on the egg is a much smaller risk (if any risk at all) than people using their fryers.  I will make a few calls to our local authorities and see if I can figure something out for sure.  I will let you all know what I find out.

I'd cook the turkey and play ignorant if caught.  After all.....you're just going by what the .gov says.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I'd cook the turkey and play ignorant if caught.  After all.....you're just going by what the .gov says.
    After all if Hillary didn't know what the letter C stood for how are we supposed to figure out all that fed gobbly gook.

- Calico Jack Rackham

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looking at the tn.gov announcement posted above, it only mentions a ban on open flames such as fire pits/camp fires.
    https://www.tn.gov/governor/news/46738

This article seems to indicate that charcoal fires are okay:
    http://www.wbir.com/news/local/haslam-issues-burn-ban-for-51-counties/351912965

I would send an email using the contact us form and ask if they can clarify the ban and if a kamado cooker would be allowed. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @SmokeyPitt

SmokeyPitt said:
    I would send an email using the contact us form and ask if they can clarify the ban and if a kamado cooker would be allowed. 
    I disagree, ask for forgiveness not permission.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • @SmokeyPitt
    I did get in touch with the local fire marshall's office and explained what I wanted to do. The gentleman I spoke with said he was familiar with my type of grill and understood my setup but he legally had to tell me I am not suppose to use a charcoal grill. This tells me they know that it is safe to use, but they are covering their you-know-what. With that said, I believe I am going to smoke it, and if somebody shows up, I will pull up the .gov website and plead my case.  

So long story short, it seems like local municipalities have their own interpretation of the burn ban and everybody affected needs to weigh the risks for themselves. 

@RedSkip
    That exact thought went through my mind. I guess I was optimistic that a level headed person would realize how the BGE actually works. 
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Just do it. No body will say anything and if someone does say they are going to keep a steak on hand to throw on and bribe them!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • I would say go ahead because who is going to be out enforcing this on Thanksgiving, but then I saw what the fine could cost you. That would be one expensive turkey. What a bummer. I know which governor I would not be voting for next time around.

Well this particular governor has reached his term limit, so he won't be running again....

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Thanksgiving without smoked turkey is like new years day without bowl games....
  • I've been cooking on my egg all week, now given I am right at the edge of the ban. No one has said anything to me yet about it. Knock on wood.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• @jmcnutt5 Proud of you man! FIGHT THE POWER .... and as always GO VOLS!!!!

- Calico Jack Rackham

• I understand why open fire/charcoal is banned as it is the easiest and safest way to minimize fire risk to a neighbourhood. Considering the drought in some areas,  wildfire is avery real and scary thing, specially when it engulfs homes. 
    Although we all think/know we are operating our kamados safely, there is always some yahoo who will start a full chimney of lump and accidentally destroy a whole subdivision. 
    Depending on how well you know your neighbours, they will smell smoke and possibly report it, as noted in a post above. Maybe this is the year to rediscover turkey cooked in the big white clock in the kitchen....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I saw they already told you what the ban specifically said, the municipals are acting on the side of caution. I lived in Colorado Springs a few years ago before moving back to TN and the state was on a burn ban. Long story short, my neighbor down the street was a volunteer fire fighter (and a class act D bag) and called his station and they sent out a guy and threatened to fine me for grilling. I was on a concrete pad 15 feet from any structure with a water source and a fire extinguisher.

The verdict was they didn't fine me but "strongly urged" me to reconsider my decision since the Governor's order would supersede the municipal decision.

I vote grill. Preferably with running shoes and on your neighbor's side of the property line.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Effective immediately, residents in counties covered by the regional ban are not permitted to conduct any open-air burning. The ban includes campfires, and burning of brush, vegetation, household waste or construction debris. So, is the use of a BGE open-air burning? One definition of open-air burning is: “Open Burning” is the burning of any matter under such conditions that products of combustion are emitted directly into the open atmosphere without passing directly through a stack (see TN Rule CHAPTER 1200-3-4 - which may be the applicable rule the Gov is acting under - or maybe not). Keep the top closed when cooking and make sure to use the DFMT or other top.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    As a lawyer, I'd be wary of the language they used. They said "includes" but didn't provide a clear definition of open air burning. Thus, they can say whatever else they want is included in the definition as well.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

If the neighbor's mouths are full of free food, they can't complain

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    I see both sides, but I'm with Skiddy here.

We have all seen burnt tables, homes, where peeps thought they knew what they were doing.

And idiots burning down thousands of acres from a campfire that got away from them.  I don't want to be that guy.  And trust me, I play with more fire than most.

When officials enforce these bans, it's for good reason.  

And plus, turkey is the white brisket.  A good excuse to do something nontraditional. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    C'mon. The risk is negligible for a closed cook. Granted, not zero, but close. Depends on your comfort level and how well you know your neighbors. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Focker said:
    I see both sides, but I'm with Skiddy here.

We have all seen burnt tables, homes, where peeps thought they knew what they were doing.

And idiots burning down thousands of acres from a campfire that got away from them.  I don't want to be that guy.  And trust me, I play with more fire than most.

When officials enforce these bans, it's for good reason.  

And plus, turkey is the white brisket.  A good excuse to do something nontraditional. 

I agree completely that it's a bummer when these sort of restrictions occur and it's not really just because the tyrannical government wants to tread on ones rights when they are put into place. Blaming a governor for this kind of thing is idiotic.

It would be one thing if everyone that was lighting up a grill was always going to be attentive and responsible before/during/after the cook and the fire was positively extinguished.

Reality tho is that there are too many idjits out there that aren't attentive/careful/sober and all it takes is one errant spark from  lighting your <insert your least favorite brand of sparky lump here> lump with your weed burner - **FWOOOOF**

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk