Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post your worst cooks

Options
2»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I once tried to boil water on the BGE, but wasn't successful.  Not sure if that counts.
    Is it really even possible to boil water on an Egg?  ;)
    That is a fascinating question!  Hopefully some of the experienced eggers will comment!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I once tried to boil water on the BGE, but wasn't successful.  Not sure if that counts.
    That is a fascinating question!  Hopefully some of the experienced eggers will comment!
    I hear once you master the water, you're on your way to greatness. Winning eggfests and such. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I hear once you master the water, you're on your way to greatness. Winning eggfests and such. 
    First you master water, then state fair food...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    No....you graduate to boiled peanuts. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    No, you master your domain.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    My next goal is to master the mail order wing sauce.  =)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Boil water, give fire wires, live free!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    What's your set up for boiling water??
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    What's your set up for boiling water??
    I'm in the reverse boil camp bro. Perfectly boiled water every time ! 

Close second is sous vide . I'll go 180° for 8 hrs, then finish on the stove to 212°.  I got a trophy and stuff and some babes. 
    Have you ever boiled water caveman style?  Could that work?  Thanks in advance!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Still a little bitter I see. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Gman2 said:
    Hub said:
    My very first cook on my egg.  I didn't know the difference between thick, white smoke and thin, blue smoke.  I started up the egg and immediately put on several racks of baby backs while the thick, white smoke was pouring out.  Several hours later we ate our first BGE meal.  The ribs tasted like an ash tray.  I will never forget my wife trying to pretend that they tasted good while she was gagging.  My dogs wouldn't even eat them.  They looked at me like "are you kidding me?"  All that has changed after many years.  Now my dogs drool whenever I light the egg.
    LOL!! Same here!!
    that was my first cook also, steak, for months after the family didn't was anything off the egg.  it was many many months before they would even let me purchase steak. 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Forever bitter, no amount of counseling can fix this :s
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Counseling/whiskey....
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Counseling/whiskey....
    Drop your $ on the whiskey, better investment fer sure.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Counseling/whiskey....
    Drop your $ on the whiskey, better investment fer sure.
    And it has the benefit of working!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Two_Down
    Options
    In the vein of worst cooks - my first deep dish pizza...I overcooked it a tad.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Two_Down
    Options
    And while that pizza was bad, I still was able to force down several pieces of burnt pie...but these ribs are probably my rock bottom...slathered in mayonnaise (had not done it before, haven't done it since). Walked away and when I came back found the racks on fire. Not sure how long they burned, but likely a while. Completely inedible.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Those ribs give @Mickey's wings a run for their money! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I only take pics when I'm proud - I'll keep this thread in mind the next time something goes awry
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,333
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Two_Down said:
    And while that pizza was bad, I still was able to force down several pieces of burnt pie...but these ribs are probably my rock bottom...slathered in mayonnaise (had not done it before, haven't done it since). Walked away and when I came back found the racks on fire. Not sure how long they burned, but likely a while. Completely inedible.

Wow. Just wow.

This easily takes the cake to date in my books - not only because they're burned beyond recognition, but because the chosen baste prior to inceneration was mayo.

=)

Thanks for sharing. This is awesome. If I could "like" your post more than once, I most certainly would. 

Methinks this might be a candidate for the @SGH Seal of Approval.
  • Two_Down
    Options
    @Carolina Q I'll take that as high praise.
    @Hans61 I try and document everything particularly when I do something wrong. Helps me avoid it in the future. And it's worth a laugh too.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Two_Down said:
    @Carolina Q I'll take that as high praise.
    @Hans61 I try and document everything particularly when I do something wrong. Helps me avoid it in the future. And it's worth a laugh too.
    THe last time I really botched something it was fish (mahi mahi filets) Didn't use oil and the meat stuck to the grate so when trying to turn they just ripped apart :-) what was salvaged still tasted good
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf