Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili from Salado Eggfest After Party 2014

12346»

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @EggObsessed - first, THANK YOU for sharing this recipe. I have made it 7-8 times and it is always a favorite. We just love this stuff! I have a batch on the stove right now.

As I am re-reading this thread, I have never had the Pendrey's chili powder that you use - I have always just grabbed the chili powder and other ingredients from in the spice cabinet and gone from there. What I'm saying is, I use "regular" chili powder to taste and also put in the additional spices listed in your recipe.

What I'm wondering is, I checked the Pendrey's website to order some of their Pendrey's Original and noticed that it includes many of the same ingredients as the ones shown below in your recipe. If I use the Pendrey's, do I also add the remaining spices shown below on your recipe? I am just wondering if I might be missing something by not having the exact stuff (not that I can imagine this tasting any better!). OR is the recipe that you provided in lieu of using Pendrey's and heading to the spice cabinet?

Again, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It is a real winner!

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • @minnimoh- I'm so happy to hear that you have enjoyed this recipe many times.  It's my pleasure to share it!  As far as the Penderey's chili powder, that's a good question.  I DO FOLLOW the recipe exactly as it's written, even if I use Penderey's.  It's my understanding that most "chili powders" are a blend of spices unless you are using a specific type of dried chiles, like ancho or guajillo.  For this recipe, I totally went by taste.  I highly recommend the Penderey's Original!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @EggObsessed - Thank you for the quick response. You must buy that stuff by the pallet with as much of this chili as you make! I will be placing an order with Pendery's today then. I can't wait to make the next batch to experience the REAL recipe. Just hard to imagine it can be even better.  :o
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • When you do make it with the Penderey's, please let me know what you think. I hope you love it!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    For those who want to cook this chili but don't want to cook a whole brisket, TFJ and I did this with a 3lb grass fed chuckie last week and it was out of this world. We modified a little but the idea was much the same.This is a great way to make chili! Thanks for the inspiration Bruce and kelly!

We smoked it until it hit 160 then braised it whole in the chili liquid until it fell apart. Then we shredded it. It was like a hybrid of Bruce and Kelly's chili and Clay Q's pulled beef using chili seasoning instead of BBQ. had tons of smoky flavor. we will be making chili this way from now on. 

You should be able to follow Bruce and Kelly's recipe to letter with chuckie but we were kind of playing around with different techniques so we strayed from the path a little.

Highly recommend trying their recipe and don't worry if you don't want to smoke a whole brisket- get a small chuckie and go for it.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker I have been intrigued with your approach to Kelly's chili.  We absolutely love the chili with brisket!  I have a couple of chuckies I plan on shredding and I'm thinking of trying your approach.  I hope this isn't a stupid question...but do you drop the whole chuckie into entire batch of chili to braise, or do you braise it in a cup or two of the chili liquid?

Thanks again for all your help!

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Just waiting for it to cool off so I can make a batch of this chili. Hard to getting in the mood to cook chili when it's in the 80s.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Won today's company Chili contest. (2 years running now) on this recipe. Thank you very much @EggObsessed !!! Love it. 

Received this pretty cool metal model as a prize. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Congrats, @Raymont!  That's great!!
    Kelley 
  • Thanks @EggObsessed for giving us every reason to make brisket and award-winning chili!  I'll definitely try it very soon.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • OK, did this Chili and won 2nd place at a friendly contest at the office. 
    I used ground beef and didn't have wine...
    Next time I will do it with a brisket.

Oh, I did smoke it for an hour on the egg too. Was really awesome.
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    This post is always worthy of a bump to the top.  Making it again today.  And, their rubs are fantastic as well.  http://itsmyrub.com/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili/

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Agreed , weather is cooling Chili is in the air
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    edited October 2018
    Its early October and yet it’s 86 degrees in Cincinnati today. Been dying to try this recipe and I happened to have some leftover brisket to dice up, so despite the warm weather, it was time for chili.

The first pic is about 45 mins on the egg and the 2nd pic is about 3 1/2 hours after I put it on. 

Turned out to be some of the best chili I’ve ever had, even though I was skeptical about the celery  ;)

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Bump. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I used leftover Prime Rib from New Years. This sh!t is legit!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX