Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili from Salado Eggfest After Party 2014

Options

Comments

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Already made, so just need something to blend it out.
  • BeerNBBQ
    Options
    I made this last weekend and it is not only the best chili I've ever cooked, it is also the best chili i've ever tasted.  Great recipe!

P.S. I used 3 onions as well. It'll be fine :)
    Braselton, GA.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Gratuitous Bump....@EggObsessed @henapple‌ how far in advance is it ok to do the brisket..want to do this chili for New Year's Day, was thinking about putting a packer on tonight and in the refrigerator on Sunday make chili New Year's Eve , any thoughts?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @fruitguy:  So sorry I didn't answer until today.  Santa brought me 2 giant kidney stones on Christmas eve (12 mm and 19 mm) and I was having surgery yesterday while you were in need of information.  You could  have just left the serrano/jalapeno out, or just deseeded them.  Also, more canned tomatoes help the heat.  Hope this helps!

@lkapigian: I don't think that until the 31st is too long to hold your brisket.  Just don't' cut it up until the night before you cook it, or the day you cook it.  Two "Ideallys" here:  1)  A foodsaver really helps hold meat longer, so it keeps longer.  2) I'd recommend making the chili the day before, or two days before you plan to serve it.  The flavors really melt and mellow.  So much better this way.  I realize we can only do what our time/jobs allow.  Good luck and have fun with it!

@BeerNBBQ:  So glad you liked the chili!  And....thanks for the trust on the three whole onions. When I was taught to make chili years ago, I was taught to put almost equal quantities of meat and chili.  Somehow it always "works", IMHO.  Plus, it stretches your dollar when making large quantities.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Thanks @EggObsessed‌ hope your feeling better
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Thanks, @lkapigian, feel like a NEW person today!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    If it is a little spicy, what would you add to it?
    More heat and spice so it's a lot spicy
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    can anyone tell me if I need to cover the pot while simmering for the 3 hours?
    Brandon, MS
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @loveTheEgg:  Cover it for most of the 3 hours, stirring at least every 20-30 minutes.  If it is thinner than you'd like it, let it go with the pot uncovered for awhile.
    Kelley 
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Thank you so much for the quick response! Looking forward to eating this chili! It's in the pot now!
    Brandon, MS
  • JenGang
    Options
    I made this chili this on Christmas so we could bring it to my sisters this weekend.  It was a hit!  I only used 2 jalapenos and a little over half the cayenne because my sister is pregnant and has awful heartburn.  It was AWESOME and the heat leave was great.  I will for sure be making this again.  Thank you @EggObsessed for generously sharing this recipe.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• EggObsessed
    Options
    You are very welcome, @JenGang!  So glad your family enjoyed it!  We are cooking, foodsavering, and stockpiling smoked brisket for the upcoming Eggfest season :)
    Kelley 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Kelley, I made a pot tonight for Wed consumption. A little bowl full accidentally feel into my mouth( not sure that's a great idea at 9pm) and if it gets better with time, I'm really looking forward to Wed. Good stuff right there!
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    We thawed out some for the in-laws and they loved it. I made them a copy of the recipe and sent them back to New Mexico. I'm hoping they'll return the favor when we visit next. Thanks again! great recipe. 
    Dallas, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I usually freeze the brisket till I'm ready for chili. Sorry @EggObsessed‌ about your stones
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Kelley, I made a pot tonight for Wed consumption. A little bowl full accidentally feel into my mouth( not sure that's a great idea at 9pm) and if it gets better with time, I'm really looking forward to Wed. Good stuff right there!

Just finished and it was fantastic!
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for this.  This leftover brisket now has a new destiny
    Minneapolis, MN
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Guess this needs a bump.  Thanks Kelley, this came out outstanding

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Angus1978
    Options
    My house smells great!!!   It's simmering now. Pics in an hour or 2
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    What kind of pot do you cook it in?

and what's TBL?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    slovelad said:
    What kind of pot do you cook it in?

and what's TBL?

Dutch oven is what I cook it in and TBL is table  spoon. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I made this chili a few weeks ago. It IS outstanding!
    It'll be made after every brisket cook, no mater what time of year! ;)  

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Angus1978
    Options
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • JenGang
    Options
    I signed up to make chili for a potluck at work but since I don't have enough brisket in the freezer, I threw a chuckie on the Egg today and will try making it with that.  I'm 100% positive that it won't be as good without the brisket but I don't have the time and don't want to spend the money on that right now. LOL  I'm sure it will still be delicious and people will love it but I will know how awesome it could have been.  :)

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• JenGang
    Options
    Potluck is in full swing and the chili is a hit!  Thank you again @EggObsessed for sharing this recipe!

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• EggObsessed
    Options
    @JenGang:  You're very welcome!  So glad your gang likes it!
    Kelley 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thank you for this awesome recipe.   I made this the day after thanksgiving for a football party and it was a hit.   
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Got a fresh batch going for Christmas Eve dinner after church.  Thanks again @EggObsessed for the great recipe and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Had some leftover chopped brisket from Sunday Funday so decided to finally give this a try... Been on about 2 hrs and it's already killer!!! Brisket was mixed with Franklins espresso and Texas sauces, but it's still fantastic.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Might have to give this a go soon since the weather is a changin'

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf