Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boiled Brisket (Corned Beef) OT

bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
My much better half wanted an Octoberfest meal celebrating her German heritage. Reuben's were chosen as she associates them with her childhood Octoberfest. I picked up a prime packer,trimmed it and pickled it for 5 days using Ruhlman's recipe.  Turned out perfect!!  Used the flat for corned beef, the point became pastrami.  Made Ruebens with homemade dressing and kraut.  Traditional Octoberfest meal for us.  I'll corn beef again.  Pastrami is ready to go.
Good to be back.

Dinner was completed with bacon-potato salad, pickled beets, grain mustard on a brat with a pickle.  The corned beef...I can only recommend highly.
Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Friggin great cook as always-congrats. Testament to your skill set.  And that annual event is a beer drinker's heaven. ;) 
    Had I been offered the same challenge, I would have defaulted to German beer  but a liquid cook is quite simple.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Nice! New egg table? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Brent this ALL looks spot on my friend!  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    You go man. You killed it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Can you link that recipe?  Looks fantastic
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Wife wants me to do this for St. Patty's day. I'll have to look up the recipe then. Looks perfect. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Corned beef and Pastrami. Auch du meine guten! Ich Leiben es.
    I know I butchered that, but I tried. I have not spoken German in 40 years.
    Beautiful cook, as always, and great presentation, pics are awesome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Brent awesome looking meal as always !!! Great to see that view of the lake again.. Like Michael said nice looking table.. Great post..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    Friggin great cook as always-congrats. Testament to your skill set.  And that annual event is a beer drinker's heaven. ;) 
    Had I been offered the same challenge, I would have defaulted to German beer  but a liquid cook is quite simple.  ;)
    Thanks Cap!  German, although not pictured was very much involved.
  • bgebrent

Nice! New egg table? 
    Yep.  Walked into Fergusons looking for the prime packer and there it was.  Mahogany and oak.  Had to have it.
  • bgebrent

Brent this ALL looks spot on my friend!  
    Thanks Blake, it really was great.
  • bgebrent

texaswig said:
    You go man. You killed it. 
    Thank you sir!
  • bgebrent
    BYS1981 said:
    Can you link that recipe?  Looks fantastic
    http://ruhlman.com/2016/03/homemade-corned-beef/

followed this his exactly and it was outstanding.  Have fun brother!

• bgebrent
    YukonRon said:
    Corned beef and Pastrami. Auch du meine guten! Ich Leiben es.
    I know I butchered that, but I tried. I have not spoken German in 40 years.
    Beautiful cook, as always, and great presentation, pics are awesome.
    Brent awesome looking meal as always !!! Great to see that view of the lake again.. Like Michael said nice looking table.. Great post..
    Thanks brothers!  It's good to get back.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I used the same recipe a few weeks ago.  It was really good.   Yours looks awesome!

Outstanding brother Brent. I really want to make pastrami and corned beef. I Googled Ruhlman but that was a little too broad. Do you have a link to a specific recipe? I bought a crock to make sauerkraut this winter; it would be cool to make the Reuben's with meat I prepared as well. Thanks for posting. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    paqman said:
    I used the same recipe a few weeks ago.  It was really good.   Yours looks awesome!

Thank you brother Paq!
  • bgebrent

SciAggie said:
    Outstanding brother Brent. I really want to make pastrami and corned beef. I Googled Ruhlman but that was a little too broad. Do you have a link to a specific recipe? I bought a crock to make sauerkraut this winter; it would be cool to make the Reuben's with meat I prepared as well. Thanks for posting. 
    Brother Sci, I will post it here later when I have more time.  It is quite simple for someone with your talent.  I'm tied up right now.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    bgebrent said:

SciAggie said:
    Brother Sci, I will post it here later when I have more time.  It is quite simple for someone with your talent.  I'm tied up right now.
     O problem. I ggoogled a little deeper and found recipe's by Ruhlman. I'm excited to try this. When you get time, tell me if you brined in a large ziplock bag or a container of some sort. I have no idea if it matters. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    SciAggie said:
    bgebrent said:

SciAggie said:
     O problem. I ggoogled a little deeper and found recipe's by Ruhlman. I'm excited to try this. When you get time, tell me if you brined in a large ziplock bag or a container of some sort. I have no idea if it matters. 
    It does not matter.  I use big plastic tubs.  I pickled a whole packer that weighed in at 13# before trimming so it wouldn't fit in a 2.5 gallon bag.  The most important thing I learned is to trim it more aggressively than you would for a brisket cook.  You want the only a thin to none layer of fat on the surface.  I separated the point from the flat after pickling.  The flat was simmered 3 hours in pickling spice water along with some onion and celery.  I smoked the point on the egg for 3 hours at 300-325.  Next time I'll probably just make corned beef with a flat.  Let me know how it goes!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @bgebrent Thanks. I appreciate the comment about separating point from flat after pickling. I have a frozen brisket and I was wondering about that. I also appreciate the advice about trimming. Thanks again. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Damn, looks great! That's a killer Reuben.

Looking forward to the pastrami - it's on the short list. Someone who makes sausage professionally gave me a pound of his pastrami spice mix so I need to do this. 

@sciaggie if you want a shortcut, you can pick up a jar of pickling spice mix at the grocery store instead of making your own. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    blind99 said:

Looking forward to the pastrami - it's on the short list. Someone who makes sausage professionally gave me a pound of his pastrami spice mix so I need to do this. 

@sciaggie if you want a shortcut, you can pick up a jar of pickling spice mix at the grocery store instead of making your own. 
    Thank you brother blind!  This home made pickling spice is very good!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    bgebrent said:

Nice! New egg table? 
    Yep.  Walked into Fergusons looking for the prime packer and there it was.  Mahogany and oak.  Had to have it.
    Can't hide money...
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Man.... just great!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent said:

Nice! New egg table? 
    Can't hide money...
    Says my soon to be neighbor. B)
  • bgebrent

Man.... just great!
    Thank you brother!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:

I bet it's better than the store-bought for sure. When I saw the recipe I thought who the heck has mace and allspice berries?  Now I know!  ;)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:

I bet it's better than the store-bought for sure. When I saw the recipe I thought who the heck has mace and allspice berries?  Now I know!  ;)
    You betcha brother! =)
  • bgebrent
    @Travisstrick, any pointers?