Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Dust

I've had too many bags of Rockwood with this much and more small dusty particles.  I'm open for suggestions for a better lump charcoal and I look forward to all your suggestions.  Thank you!  

Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• I bought it at Firecraft.....buy five bags and get free shipping.  I think I'll have to find a new supplier if I continue to use Rockwood.  With all the pounds of lumps used by members of this forum we should be able to get a supplier of quality lumps and we all purchase direct.  Is Ozark Oak still in business it use to be great stuff.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545

Winky face.. Winky face...Winky face !!!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    I really didn't have that experience with Rockwood. In bag four of a six bag order. 
    I get huge pieces throughout the bag using El Diablo from Costco at 14.00 for 40lb bag, I just don't like mesquite for low and slows and just use it for grilling. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I have not shared your experience with Rockwood through Firecraft.  I've ordered many times, and it comes all the way to phx.  Possibly carrier issues?

El Diablo... I found the pieces to be huge.  Not a fan of the flavor, and it it's very sparky.
    Phoenix 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I'm so glad my Rockwood turns out good every time. I'd hate to eat the many posts where I have bragged on my Rockwood. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Does that lump not burn just fine? I've had similar bags but no issue w Th it burning. Try Fogo brand. It too is top quality with large pieces. 
    Snellville, GA

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    blasting said:

I have not shared your experience with Rockwood through Firecraft.  I've ordered many times, and it comes all the way to phx.  Possibly carrier issues?

El Diablo... I found the pieces to be huge.  Not a fan of the flavor, and it it's very sparky.
    Agreed. Short hots don't really impart a strong  flavor though. Is good with a 2 hour smoke on meatloaf when I fill MM up with 'used' lump from previous cook. Cheap-hot-fast. Of course it'll sparkle.  ;)
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Bag it up and send it to me.  I love that size lump for the small and mini. My large will actually work fine with it too.  
    agreed. I run that stuff all the time. Works fine for me. I've had better luck from firecraft the last several shipments but I still get some shake like that in some bags. I just dump it in and light it up. Just did a brisket cook last night with lump this size leftover from 2 other cooks (did steaks right before then shut it down and added a brisket a few hours later). It's still going strong out there. I usually have to break up pieces to fit in my mini max
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I prefer smaller pieces over larger. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I would recommend Royal Oak. You are going to encounter a bad bag with expensive charcoal and cheap RO occasionally. 
    At least with the RO you don't have a lot of money tied up in the bad bag.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I don't order from Firecraft but you're supposed to buy in quantities of three due to they way they ship. So I hear...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    A good lump day so far. About to break open some center cut
  • johnmitchell
    Lit said:
    Is that centre cut as good as everyone says ???
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Bag it up and send it to me.  I love that size lump for the small and mini. My large will actually work fine with it too.  
    ^^^^^^+1 Agreed. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    Lit said:
    I like how you spelled center with European flair. Makes it fancier. 
  • johnmitchell
    Lit said:
    Michael good luck with your Steelers this afternoon !!!
  • DoubleEgger
    Lit said:
    Michael good luck with your Steelers this afternoon !!!
    We'll need more than luck given our injury list. It's gonna be painful to watch. Thanks for the well wishes though. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    There is nothing wrong with what you have in the photo. Nothing at all. That's not even close to dust. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Last I looked today is Sunday...(5 days til the proverbial...)
    As above, it all burns.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Your definition of "small dusty particles" and mine differ greatly. If I had an entire bag with only that size I would not be thrilled, but as long as there are a few bigger pieces to throw on the bottom there should be no trouble using up what you're showing in the photo. Based on the many Naked Whiz reviews, that seems like a normal amount of that sized pieces from a typical bag of most lump charcoal they have reviewed. As others suggested, go with Royal Oak. You'll probably still be disappointed on occasion but at least you'll pay less for the bum bags.
    Stillwater, MN
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I don't order from Firecraft but you're supposed to buy in quantities of three due to they way they ship. So I hear...
    I order six at a time for that reason. I've been pleased with my orders so far. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    It was good. Didn't really like the bag in a box design I did 6 pizzas and 2 loaves of bread in the MM and had to add lump in the middle and it was a pain to not catch the bag on fire. It burns clean even cleaner than Rockwood it is really carbonized you hear the rink sounds when pouring it in. For $1 a poundits fine but wouldn't pay full price.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Brother,, chill.... That lump is good to go.  But if you decide to go another route.  The path is the kamdo Joe lump imo. 
    VA Beach
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

I had a bag of RO Lump that had even smaller pieces. Sent an email to them and was told it was not their problem. All their lump is (supposedly) screened. I did buy that bag from a different retailer but won't go back there again for lump.

Used some RO today after about 7-8 cooks with CharBroil Lump. There was a huge difference in smoke; took about 15 minutes for it to clear up.  The CharBroil burns clean in just a couple of minutes. Bought 6 more boxes at Lowes on Saturday; after using a coupon it was under $7.50 per box. Either Lowes is making room for winter items or perhaps they are not going to stocking it at the stores.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Many folks on this forum are hypersensitive about lump size.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited October 2016

Too many other things to gripe about than that.  I'll cook with that size anytime.  LIGHT IT UP AND COOK!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i am perfectly content with pieces that size, im even happy with that authentic..in the style of dixie...bbq flavor from cowboy lump.  im usually picking smaller pieces  to burn in my mini, it hates big lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it