Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Thermoworks Remote Rumors

Options
From the Amazing Ribs Newsletter:

"
Kewl New ThermoWorks Toy
Meathead is testing the new dual probe remote read radio frequency thermometer from ThermoWorks called Smoke. It will be released on October 20 for $99. Is it worth $40 more than the Maverick ET-732? So far he thinks it might be. Stay tuned."

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Bout damn time.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    YAY!  I recently bought a Therm-Pro system, which has outlasted my ET-732 already, but will spring for the "Smoke" if/when my current system dies.   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    A fellow from Thermoworks did an AMA on Reddit a couple months back and mentioned that they were going to be coming out with a new remote read thermo and a few other surprises by the end of the year.

Wonder what other gizmos are coming.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Big_Red
    Options
    I think my ET-732 is about done... count me in as interested.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm in.  

Fyi, I noticed Firecraft is giving away the maverick if you order 300$ 
    Phoenix 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Just in time for Santa!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • JT272929
    Options
    SWEET!

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I'm in.. I use nothing but Thermoworks for cooking and brewing.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm sure Thermoworks will let us know when it's ready to ship as they now send out "crucial" sale information almost DAILY to my email.
    Damn I wish there was a way to limit their email. Love their products but just don't see any reason for them to send out so many emails about the same thing.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I'm sure Thermoworks will let us know when it's ready to ship as they now send out "crucial" sale information almost DAILY to my email.
    Damn I wish there was a way to limit their email. Love their products but just don't see any reason for them to send out so many emails about the same thing.
    Just setup a filter/rule on your email account.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    edited September 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    If I do that I could miss the email that might actually be a new sale?
    Some sells offer a email profile on the site and it's great. I have unsubscribed to may such as Penzey's Spices for this reason. I like their taco seasoning and use it on a regular basis but opted out of their emails.
    I'm currently trying to filter down my "Groupon" emails so I just get local but it's also ben crazy. 3-4 a day.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    If I do that I could miss the email that might actually be a new sale?
    Some sells offer a email profile on the site and it's great. I have unsubscribed to may such as Penzey's Spices for this reason. I like their taco seasoning and use it on a regular basis but opted out of their emails.
    I'm currently trying to filter down my "Groupon" emails so I just get local but it's also ben crazy. 3-4 a day.
    It would be nice if all vendors allowed one to be more specific on the types of emails they send and we receive but most don't.

You can setup multiple rules/filters. If you only want to be sure to see the ones with a sale you can (probably - it will depend upon the specifics of your email provider/system/software) just have the rule look for the word "SALE" or "% OFF" or just "%" in the email title ( a quick look at the emails I receive from Thermoworks seems to show that whenever they have an item on sale it is mentioned in the email title, however, there may be occasional exceptions) and save that in your normal inbox or any other place where you can be sure to see them. A separate rule would otherwise put all the other Thermoworks emails in a separate folder or straight to the trash or just mark them as already read. Just depends on how you want to deal with all that.

Again, depending upon your specific email system setting up rules and filters may take a bit of fiddling/practice to get them "just right". That is also why I wouldn't just automatically have any incoming emails automatically deleted - you'll want to make sure your rules/filters are functioning the way you want.

Filters/rules can sometime be a minor pain in the arse to setup but in my experience they are a necessary thing to help tame inbox chaos (having multiple email accounts also helps separate the wheat from the chaff). :)

• girbim
    Options
    This is timely information.  I was just looking on their site this weekend and wishing for a remote probe.  I unsubscribed from their list a long time ago after too many e-mails.  I will probably sign up for their e-mail list for a few weeks.
    Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I will just stay broke.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I have the same problem with Tempurpedic.  Bought one of their expen$ive mattresses a couple years ago, have never regretted it, but they send me an expensive, glossy brochure in the mail every month or so; kinda silly as, with a 25-year warrantee, I won't be buying another bed anytime soon, if even in my lifetime.
    And a mailed glossy brochure costs a hell of a lot more to send out than a few electrons over the 'netz.  No wonder the bed cost so much...  :|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    On unwanted emails: I've noticed that, if I choose to cancel it altogether, I get a box to tell them why; I always take the time to point out that, a monthly "kitchen gear" email is okay, but twice a day, no.  If everyone does that we can guide these clueless entrepeaneuers.  <<Holy hell, how do you spell that?   :s

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Botch said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I have the same problem with Tempurpedic.  Bought one of their expen$ive mattresses a couple years ago, have never regretted it, but they send me an expensive, glossy brochure in the mail every month or so; kinda silly as, with a 25-year warrantee, I won't be buying another bed anytime soon, if even in my lifetime.
    And a mailed glossy brochure costs a hell of a lot more to send out than a few electrons over the 'netz.  No wonder the bed cost so much...  :|
    lol...I get the same glossy brochure. Funny
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It's not a rumor when the manufacturer sends emails supporting release date and specs :wink:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Anyone out there interested is a used Maverick ET-732 and ET-733?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Doesn't seem that special to me. I've got the iGrill2 that transmits over BT and runs four probes. I've got my phone near me anyway. What am I missing here?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    BilZol, I really liked the iGrill but the Bluetooth range just didn't do it for me.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Seems like a reasonable price.  Was a sad day after a decade of use when my ET73 went tits up and triple H.  Picked up a Chef Alarm, solid unit, it has its limits.  I'm in on this, will wait just a bit though.

Not sure what the wifi smartphone will bring to the table without it being a full blowin ATC, like Anova SV.  But I am techtarded by choice.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Ok. So it's an et-733 with a lanyard?  I fail to see the improvement....

is it water proof? I'd like to have seen more than one set of probes    

Can you select radio frequencies so you can run several without interference?

i don't really care fore the 733 over the 732 frankly, except,for extended range. The programming on it is a pita. Batteries don't last nearly as long. 

Maybe im missing something???
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• HeavyG
    edited October 2016
    Options
    BilZol, I really liked the iGrill but the Bluetooth range just didn't do it for me.
    The Smoke seems to be using Bluetooth also.  The ability to connect to WiFi requires a separate gizmo (not available until next year) that will receive the signal from the Smoke and then transmit to your WiFi router.

People that are having problems with range with Bluetooth devices may also have problems with this.

• DynaGlide
    Options
    All the details are up on their website now . I think I'll stick with the et732. 
    2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Thermoworks should incorporate a fan/blower and they'd own the market!  Nice looking unit.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'll wait for the open box sale on the wifi unit.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I have no ill will towards maverick (I own one), but its not in the same league as my thermoworks stuff.  I use my simple Thermaq before I use my maverick.   Looking forward to this new release.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Agreed^^^
    Cornfused as to why they waited so long to enter this section of the market, with that (et 73 and newer models) as their only true competition for a number of years.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities