Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Thermoworks Remote Rumors

2»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    AmazingRibs has put up their review of the Smoke: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/thermoworks-smoke

This one line from the review made me chuckle: "The receiver works on radio frequency (RF), not Bluetooth."

So it uses radio waves eh? Radical man. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    HeavyG said:
    AmazingRibs has put up their review of the Smoke: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/thermoworks-smoke

This one line from the review made me chuckle: "The receiver works on radio frequency (RF), not Bluetooth."

I like the L shaped probes.  Gives me something to push when inserting, and grip when removing.

AR is slowly metamorphing to an outdoor ATK.

This will be a nice addition to the WSMs, even if my stock therms are accurate.  At one time, seriously considered stepdrilling and going full dial Tel Trus.  The black gauges look bada$$, but so glad I waited.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    HeavyG said:

Bluetooth is a standard for RF short distance communication. This is not Bluetooth, rather a proprietary RF interface.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    If they were going to step into this game I would have thought it would be with a bigger splash. 
    I saw a kickstarter several months ago that had Bluetooth wireless probes and a charging station for them. Everything was internal. That'll be the next big thing in temp monitoring or even control that'll get me excited. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    BilZol said:
    If they were going to step into this game I would have thought it would be with a bigger splash. 
    I saw a kickstarter several months ago that had Bluetooth wireless probes and a charging station for them. Everything was internal. That'll be the next big thing in temp monitoring or even control that'll get me excited. 
    We'll get there, but I'll stick to wired for a good, long while.  Same goes for driving my own vehicle.  Because, it works.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    DMW said:
    HeavyG said:

Bluetooth is a standard for RF short distance communication. This is not Bluetooth, rather a proprietary RF interface.
    True. However, the Smoke operates in the 2.4ghz band just like WiFi, and official Bluetooth devices and lots of other gizmos. The fact that the Smoke may be using some proprietary comms protocol does not really change the issues  of signal propagation via the 2.4ghz frequency.

They claim a range of 300 feet which is the same distance claimed by Class 1 Bluetooth devices. That distance might well be achieved in clear line of sight conditions . Problems develop once you start putting walls, bookshelves, metal garage doors, etc., etc. in the way of the signal path.

Whether the Smoke will really be able to "punch thru" obstructions significantly better than other devices using 2.4 ghz remains to be seen.

Personally, I doubt that it will but these things vary widely depending on the specifics of ones house. Some may get better range, some may not. Time will tell.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited October 2016
    Focker said:
    BilZol said:
    We'll get there, but I'll stick to wired for a good, long while.  Same goes for driving my own vehicle.  Because, it works.

That's why I didn't get in on it. As fast as tech moves now though and as quick 
    as we get end user feedback "a while" is a much shorter time then it used to be. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    It seems odd this system costs the same as a ThermaPen (I was expecting a much higher price); that tiny thermocouple on the 'Pen must be a pricey bit of metal.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389

I like my iGrill2 and it seems to do the same thing as this one, but uses my phone instead.  Range is definitely an issue for me.....I can't be upstairs or out front, which makes it hard to shoot hoops with the boys and not worry about what is going on in the Egg.

Did order my MK4 this morning however!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Botch said:
    It seems odd this system costs the same as a ThermaPen (I was expecting a much higher price); that tiny thermocouple on the 'Pen must be a pricey bit of metal.  
    This is likely due to the origin of manufacture. The 'pens are made in England, this is likely Hecho en China.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My maverick probes are crapping out, they're about 6 years old, and I think I'll replace it with this unit. 
  • HeavyG
    BYS1981 said:
    My maverick probes are crapping out, they're about 6 years old, and I think I'll replace it with this unit. 
    That is probably going to be the biggest plus to this thing. I'm sure the probes are going to be longer lasting by far.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Photo Egg said:
    Botch said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I'm sure Thermoworks will let us know when it's ready to ship as they now send out "crucial" sale information almost DAILY to my email.
    Damn I wish there was a way to limit their email. Love their products but just don't see any reason for them to send out so many emails about the same thing.
    I have the same problem with Tempurpedic.  Bought one of their expen$ive mattresses a couple years ago, have never regretted it, but they send me an expensive, glossy brochure in the mail every month or so; kinda silly as, with a 25-year warrantee, I won't be buying another bed anytime soon, if even in my lifetime.
    And a mailed glossy brochure costs a hell of a lot more to send out than a few electrons over the 'netz.  No wonder the bed cost so much...  :|
    lol...I get the same glossy brochure. Funny
    The mark up for a couple beds paid for the entire country to get those mailers at no cost!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    So I got the email today, and knowing Thermoworks quality, I wanna get it, but... it didn't seem to splash the pool as hard as I thought...

Their probes are quality.. the Thermapens are for sure, as are the IR guns, and even their pH meters I've bought.

But... I can't find what makes this one stand out to make me buy it, I have a digiQ for long cooks, when I'd find myself even caring to use a probe. Can't justify it unless I glossed over the info.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    They make reliable stuff. I'll have one as soon as my maverick gives out. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    They send two probes for it, one for meat, and one for air. I wonder if the probes I use in my chef alarms is the same meat probe as this has, and if so, I guess you can use it on two separate pieces of meat, instead of using one as an air probe....I guess!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • HeavyG
    warwoman said:
    They send two probes for it, one for meat, and one for air. I wonder if the probes I use in my chef alarms is the same meat probe as this has, and if so, I guess you can use it on two separate pieces of meat, instead of using one as an air probe....I guess!
    Sure...probes just measure temp. You can use them to measure whatever temp you want. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

So, how many forum members ordered one today?

Phoenix 
  • If my Maverick goes out I will certainly look at this product as my other items from this company are great. Having said that, I find the temperature readings to the tenth of a degree to be a little annoying. At first glance, it just seems to add unnecessary clutter.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    blasting said:

I did, just cuz.

Don't really need one but do want to compare it against my $40 Chinese remote read thermo.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    HeavyG said:
    blasting said:

I did, just cuz.

Don't really need one but do want to compare it against my $40 Chinese remote read thermo.

I did too.  And speaking of $40 thermometers...

If anyone wants a New-In-Box Maverick ET-735, I've got one for you for $40 shipped.  That's the one with bluetooth and two probes.
    Phoenix 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I read range " up to 300'  " and that is the same claim Maverick makes. Until it goes quite a bit further than what I already own, that is marginal at best in an energy efficient home. I'm going to wait. Low e windows and Mylar wrap really have an effect on range.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I've already pre-ordered my Smoke, been a long time fan of Thermoworks stuff. I still use my Original Thermapen that I've had for almost 10 years! If the quality is anything like their other products, this is going to be with me for a while. The Smoke uses radio frequency, not blue tooth. So distance should be much better. And the upcoming WiFi bridge will extend it even more. Works with my other Pro series probes too. Can't wait to start smokin with it.
  • I've already pre-ordered my Smoke, been a long time fan of Thermoworks stuff. I still use my Original Thermapen that I've had for almost 10 years! If the quality is anything like their other products, this is going to be with me for a while. The Smoke uses radio frequency, not blue tooth. So distance should be much better. And the upcoming WiFi bridge will extend it even more. Works with my other Pro series probes too. Can't wait to start smokin with it. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    blasting said:

I did.  My research shows the smoke to be far superior to the maverick.  I'm amazed at the resistance here to spend an extra 30 bucks.  That is ONE saved cook.  I promise you, that on your deathbed, you will NOT say "thank God I saved 30 bucks by not ordering the smoke."

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • HeavyG
    I've already pre-ordered my Smoke, been a long time fan of Thermoworks stuff. I still use my Original Thermapen that I've had for almost 10 years! If the quality is anything like their other products, this is going to be with me for a while. The Smoke uses radio frequency, not blue tooth. So distance should be much better. And the upcoming WiFi bridge will extend it even more. Works with my other Pro series probes too. Can't wait to start smokin with it.
    The Smoke and Bluetooth devices both operate in the 2.4ghz band. Even tho the Smoke may not be using the Bluetooth protocol but it still will be affected by the same issues Bluetooth devices face when trying to punch thru walls.

It might have better range for some folks and it might not work any better for other folks. Hard to say.

• Hub said:
    blasting said:

I did.  My research shows the smoke to be far superior to the maverick.  I'm amazed at the resistance here to spend an extra 30 bucks.  That is ONE saved cook.  I promise you, that on your deathbed, you will NOT say "thank God I saved 30 bucks by not ordering the smoke."

I think many already have something so it isn't really an extra $30, its an extra $100 and a unit they paid for that they don't use anymore.  Also the extra $30 to save one cook, my maverick works perfectly fine, the smoke won't prevent anything that my maverick won't.  If I were choosing between the two then it might be a different story, but then again it may not.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    BYS1981 said:
    Call them. They replaced mine for free. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!