Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Favorite Chili Recipe

Options
Its about to start getting colder and my wife was just saying how excited she was for chili season. I have a few I use but I am thinking about branching out and trying some new recipes. 

So what's your favorite? Any recipes y'all want to share?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    White bean and turkey for me. Think I posted the recipe (as much as I ever follow them). I'll look for it. Great to do a bunch around Thanksgiving when turkeys are cheap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options

Here it is....sort of

White bean and turkey chili

Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,043
    October 2013 edited October 2013 in Poultry

Just a lot of stuff.

photo 002-4jpg

photo 002-5jpg

photo 003-2jpg

photo 005-4jpg

Not shown.: Light turkey stock. Some dried herbs. Indian white chili powder

Kid with dog

photo DSC_0172-2jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Mickey first told me about Cindy Reed, and even sent me a packet of CinChili seasoning. Then, @Hotch sent me a link to Cindy's original recipe. I haven't made it any other way since! Takes a while, but SOOOO good!!

Don't tell anyone, but it's even good if you add tomatoes! Or beans. (Yes, Mickey, I like it both ways. But with beans, it lasts longer! =))

http://www.chilicookin.com/Recipes/CASI/TICC1992.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Mickey first told me about Cindy Reed, and even sent me a packet of CinChili seasoning. Then, @Hotch sent me a link to Cindy's original recipe. I haven't made it any other way since! Takes a while, but SOOOO good!!

Don't tell anyone, but it's even good if you add tomatoes! Or beans. (Yes, Mickey, I like it both ways. But with beans, it lasts longer! =))

LOL - finally something we agree about! CinChili has been my go to secret ingredient for years! What else I add to my pot is of our liking - not what someone else tells me I may or not put in mine. Though I do have two more secret flavor enhancing ingredients and they are 10 oz of HOT V-8 plus .5 cup bacon grease.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Buddy Ron , my goto as well. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:

LOL - finally something we agree about! CinChili has been my go to secret ingredient for years!
    Wrong. The scratch recipe is far, far better than the pre-mix. The pouch is much easier, bit the full recipe is much better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Looks great. I'm a fan of beans in chili anyways. A cheaper way to make gameday food stretch out and it sticks with you. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CtTOPGUN
    Options

Thanks for posting this. I will try it staying true to the recipe. Normally I make chili with whatever I have on hand. No measuring. Just me cooking by sight, feel and taste(and limited by what is in my fridge/pantry). Beans and veggies are optional for my tastes. Sometimes I use them and other times I don't.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    One other to try if you haven't is egrets cow lick chili-

Here.

Chili, Cow Lickin’, Egret

INGREDIENTS:
    Olive Oil
    1 1/2 Lbs Ground Chuck
    1 lb Italian Sausage (casing removed)
    2 cups Onion (chopped)
    1 green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
    2 Jalapeno chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
    1-2 Serrano chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
    1 Tbs Garlic (minced)
    1 28 Ozs Can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 15 Ozs Can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 Can Rotel
    2 15 Ozs Can Pinto, dark Kidney, or Black Beans (drained)
    3 Tbs Chili Powder
    1 Tbs Ancho Chile Powder
    1 1/2 Tbs Ground Cumin
    1 tsp Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp ground Cinnamon
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp dried Oregano
    3 Tbs Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub
    2 cups Beef Broth
    1 cup dry Red Wine
    2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
    Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
    Wood Chunks

Procedure:
    1 Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up).
    2 Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbls. olive oil.
    3 Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden
    4 spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.
    5 Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
    6 Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.
    7 Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.
    8 Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper,
    9 jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3
    10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add
    11 water as needed to prevent drying).
    12 Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to
    13 ° F. Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: John Hall (egret)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '09, Egret 

Greensboro, NC
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    BGE cookbook chili is very very good. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    No beans!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    No beans!
    No beans?!?  That's basically sloppy joe mix!

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Beans is Chili!!!!  No beans is hotdog chili...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I made some of CoalCreek chili called Minnesota Ass Blaster a few weeks ago. I loved the heat and the pineapple together. This will be my go to chili this winter.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198881/minnesota-donkey-blaster-brisket-chili
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I made some of CoalCreek chili called Minnesota Ass Blaster a few weeks ago. I loved the heat and the pineapple together. This will be my go to chili this winter.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198881/minnesota-donkey-blaster-brisket-chili
    I like the idea of pineapple. I'll try this. 

South of Nashville, TN

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Agree with @Phatchris , my go to recipe for chili:  http://itsmyrub.com/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili/

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I started adding a can of bean dip to the chili near the end.  Doesn't change the flavor that much, but thickens the juice a little to make it a little more like a gravy.  Last competition I was in and we added bean dip, we got second overall, but won people's choice award hands down.  Other than the bean dip, it was just a basic chili recipe.  Also, cube the meat, don't grind it.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options

Here it is....sort of

White bean and turkey chili

Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,043
    October 2013 edited October 2013 in Poultry

Kid with dog

photo DSC_0172-2jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I hope you got guns.  2 daughters of my own... not of dating age, and I'm already getting antsy 
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Beans is Chili!!!!  No beans is hotdog chili...
    Chili beans is chile beans. Chili is for hot dogs, with no beans. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    International Chili Society World Champion chili recipes:
    http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Categories_Search.asp?Cat=1&StatusID=4&Champ=1
    Original Terlingua International Championship Chili CookOff:
    http://www.abowlofred.com/
    CASI Terlingua Chili Championship:
    http://www.casichili.net/terlingua.html

No beans allowed in any of those Chili recipes. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• FWRealtor
    Options
    I have used this one for chili cook off's in the past. It is an absolute winner. I add a pound of jalepeno bacon. Fry it up, put it in a magic bullet to almost turn it into a paste, and add it to the wet ingredients so it blends in. Outstanding. 

Winning Recipe

C.V. Wood's World's Championship Chili 

Ingredients:
    1 3-pound stewing chicken, cut into pieces 
    1 � quarts water 
    OR 10-ounce cans chicken broth s
    � pound beef suet 
    OR � cup Wesson oil 
    4 lbs flank steak 
    5 lbs thin, center-cut pork shops 
    6 long green chilies, peeled 
    2 TSP sugar 
    3 TSP ground oregano 
    3 TSP ground cumin 
    � TSP MSG (optional) 
    3 TSP pepper 
    4 TSP salt 
    5 TBS Gebhardt chili powder 
    1 TSP cilantro, also known as chinese parsley 
    1 TSP thyme 
    8 ounces Budweiser beer 
    4 15-ounce cans Hunts Tomatoes 
    � cup celery, finely chopped 
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
    3 medium onions, cut into � inch pieces 
    2 green peppers, cut into 3/8 inch pieces 
    1 pound Jack cheese, grated 
    1 lime -- Dash of Tabasco sauce
    Instructions:
    Combine chicken with water in a large pot and simmer 2 hours. Strain off broth and reserve chicken for other use, or use canned chicken broth. Render suet to make 6-8 TBS oil or use cooking oil. Trim all fat and bones from pork and cut it into � inch cubes.

Trim all fat from flank steak and cut it into 3/8 inch cubes. Boil chilies 15 minutes or until tender. Remove seeds and cut the chilies into � inch squares. Mix sugar, oregano, cumin, MSG, pepper, salt, chili powder, cilantro and thyme with beer until all lumps are dissolved. Add the tomatoes, celery, chilies, beer mixture and garlic to the chicken broth.

Pour about a third of the reserved suet or oil into a skillet, add pork and brown. Do only half total amount at a time.

Add the pork to the broth mixture, cook slowly 30 minutes.

Brown beef in the remaining oil, about one third of the total amount at a time. Add the beef to the pork mixture and cook slowly about 1 hour. Add onions and peppers. Simmer 2-3 hours until meat is broken down, stirring with a wooden spoon every 15-20 minutes

Cool 1 hour and refrigerate 24 hours. Reheat chili before serving it. About 5 minutes before serving time, add grated cheese. Just before serving, add the juice of the lime and stir the mixture with a wooden spoon. Makes 6 quarts. 
    Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • Boileregger
    Options
    My wife loves Panera's turkey chili so I found this knockoff recipe and made it on the egg.  Damn close to the real thing and it was nice and light.  Made good lunches for the week.  I used ground turkey despite what the recipe said.

http://3gitalian.com/2014/02/14/panera-bread-turkey-chili-copycat-recipe/

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    WeberWho said:

I like the idea of pineapple. I'll try this. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit It worked perfect with the heat. Really compliments one another. Awesome with chili
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • leemschu
    Options
    Never been much of a chili fan but might try some of these!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

1 large can of tomato juice, 2 can crushed tomatoes, 1 can of bush's chili beans. 1 whole sautéed onion, 1 pack of McCormicks Chili mix, 1 pond ground beef or leftover brisket. As good as any chili I've ever eaten with the least amount of effort.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax