Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Newest Addition - Cajun Fryer

I got fed up with consumer fryers that barely got to 350 and could never recover fast enough when anything more than a few small items were dropped in. Looked for something more powerful but couldn't find anything reasonable. Then the other day I came across the website for Cajun Fryers. Wow - these things looks pretty powerful (I got the 4 gal model). Will have the inaugural fry tonight and will report back. 

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Very jealous!! Can't wait to hear your review I have been looking at them as well they look like the real deal. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    It looks like a beast.  What do you do with the oil when you are done cooking?

paqman said:
    Also interested.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Nice score.  Just had some pulled pork egg rolls out of a stainless version of that.  Great design the way it heats the oil, traps the sediment, etc.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    That's a nice one. I've got the bayou classic 2.5 gallon, but wish I'd sprung for the 4 gallon. The extra capacity really comes in handy especially with company. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Very nice.  I was looking at those.  Please keep us posted.

Phoenix 
  • johnnyp said:
    paqman said:
    Also interested.
    You leave it in to use next time. This has a burner above the bottom of the tank. Crumbs fall down to bottom where they won't scorch. Supposed to get several fries before needing replaced. I think I read somewhere 20 to 30 cooks, filtering every 5 to 10 cooks. I've been looking at them myself,
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Ruh row ... we never got the review.  That fryer didn't kill you did it?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    @Hub Nah, I'm still around. Had a busy weekend. First fry ended up just being some french fries. Worked great - came up to temp very quickly (10 min) and stayed where it needed to be when the food went in (guess the ratio of oil volume to food volume helped). Baskets are nice and solid, though I plan to get the one large basket since I rarely fry two different things at the same time. It works off of what is basically a large immersion element similar to a home fryer. Very nice design. Only drawback is that you can't close the lid with the fryer baskets out of the oil, so when you are done, you either have to leave the baskets in the oil or take them out of the fryer completely. Overall, I'm pleased with it. Curious to see how the oil lasts staying in the fryer on the patio in FL heat.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Father In Law recently bought the stainless Bayou Classic (Chinese version of the above) and that first cook was some, if not the best fried shrimp I have ever eaten.  And that is saying alot, as that man can fry some food.
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    I got the 4 gallon 2 years ago ---- love it.  Usually use it at least once a week -- change the oil every six months or so..  We bought two 12 gallon Cajun Jimmys for our men's club at church for lent fish fries.   -- we do 3 cooks in lent 150 pounds of fish, 90# of fries and 30# of puppies each time.   Reusing the. Oil adding about 6 gallons over the course of the three cooks. 18 gallons on 450# of fish, 270# of fries and 90# of puppies ---- and there is always 15# of shrimp we throw in for us cookers to munch on while we are cooking.  
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    I also started a Cajun fryer fan page on FB,  feel free to post your "Frying"
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Love the fryer.....I hit your link to your table. Somehow I missed that one earlier. Beautiful.....just beautiful.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Adding this to the list of wants.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HofstraJet
    Finally got the single large basket for the fryer.  =)

It's interesting - looks homemade by R&V - two standard baskets each cut on the edge and welded together with a patch piece in the middle.

• blasting

I'm pretty much sold on this thing, thanks to all who have commented.  I'm pretty slow to pull the trigger on stuff, but this is very close to the top of my list.

That single basket though looks a little ghetto to me.  Not bad if you had you made it yourself, but I would have expected something better from the company.  Pretty cheesy.  Mind if I ask what they charged you for that basket?

Phoenix 
  • HofstraJet
    blasting said:

I'm pretty much sold on this thing, thanks to all who have commented.  I'm pretty slow to pull the trigger on stuff, but this is very close to the top of my list.

That single basket though looks a little ghetto to me.  Not bad if you had you made it yourself, but I would have expected something better from the company.  Pretty cheesy.  Mind if I ask what they charged you for that basket?

Agreed. It's on the company's website and it looks like they take the standard Admiral Craft basket and make it themselves as I didn't see the double basket on the Admiral Craft website. It's $60 on the company website and I paid $56.99 at Webstaurantstore.com.  
  • Man yours is clean!!
    Jacksonville, FL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited August 2016
    Apparently you didn't get the memo. It has to be at least 60 days before someone can post a new gadget that I want to buy. Last week it was a Blackstone.... You guys make me spend money
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    That's a great price. I paid $200 for my 2.5 gallon. Would've gladly paid that for the extra room. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2016
    blasting said:

This might work...
    http://www.bayouclassicdirect.com/Bayou-Fryer-Double-Basket-700-188

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    Photo Egg said:

Nice find, thanks for posting @Photo Egg .  I'm looking at the 6 gallon, and that looks like it would fit perfectly.
    Phoenix 
  • The SS bayou classic is thin and flimsy with 30 plus pounds of hot oil.  It is a cheap Chinese knock off of the Cajun fryer.   I was able to do the research and see a cheap bayou classic at a local store.  Middle would bow out --- without oil 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Photo Egg
    blasting said:
    Photo Egg said:

Nice find, thanks for posting @Photo Egg .  I'm looking at the 6 gallon, and that looks like it would fit perfectly.
    Welcome. I like the open wire design better than this style.
    I'm sure someone makes one.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Hotch, Hofstra, and any other owners of the r and v ff2, I am curious as to any recent updates? I'm seriously considering purchasing the ff2 but would welcome any input from owners of this or something similar. I normally don't cook for large crowds so figured the 4 gallon would be enough. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 
  • Moleman said:
    Hotch, Hofstra, and any other owners of the r and v ff2, I am curious as to any recent updates? I'm seriously considering purchasing the ff2 but would welcome any input from owners of this or something similar. I normally don't cook for large crowds so figured the 4 gallon would be enough. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 
    It's freaking awesome. 4 gal is great. I have a 6 gal so I could fit a big turkey. Get it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited September 2016
    I've come to expect most anything American made called, "Cajun (insert product name here)" to be over the top.

Cajuns...they're like the French version of rednecks.
    Gittin' there...
  • Photo Egg
    Moleman said:
    I had the pleasure of having lunch with the owners a few weeks ago when they were visiting Houston. I can not emphisize enough how great it was to meet such a great husband and wife team...
    They both have such a passion for quality, customer service and their employees.
    Smaller family owned companies are almost unheard of today. R&V Works employs family and locals from their small town in Lousiana who also believe in making quality USA products. 
    Their products are sold at many local places in the Houston area. Their stuff is thick and solid with excellent welds. They are made for years of hard use.
    I hope you have a chance to see their fryers before you jump on the cheap stuff.
    There is no comparison in quality.
    I was temped by the low price stainless Bayou models untill I got my hands on one to see the difference.They are so thin and unstable compared to the Cajun Fryer.
    They are also getting ready to launch a heavy guage aluminum model.
    Will be great for people like myself in the Gulf Coast where everything rusts...
    Also great for people who would like to transport at times. It's very light compared to the steel and stainless steel. Price will be a little more than their standard steel model but much cheaper than their stainless fryer. It's also important to know that "quality" stainless steel is expensive and not all companies use high quality stainless to build their products.
    Sorry for the ramble but meeting the owners and talking to them about their products and company was refreshing. Remided me so much of Tom and the Ceramic Grill Store.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas