Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    the thought of me being a heavy man in a kilt with bagpipes used to be enough to tip off 99% of the forum members.

nice to be able to hide among the weeds!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw, that's the hardest I've laughed in a long time. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    And there I was, thinking @Darby_Crenshaw might actually be a decent human being.... ;)
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    This silence from @SGH reminds me of when he did that 33lb brisket!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Just opened up the floor in our bedroom. Happens to be directly over where we want to install a light fixture in the LR below. Now I get to snake wires in the walls and in the crawl space. Fun times!

Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I had a funeral to work yesterday, and just thought I would share this story.  I wrote it up for my brothers, who I emailed this morning, hence the elusive capitals and punctuation....  But I thought it might be worth sharing. 

I occasionally get calls from a local funeral parlor's director, now a good friend, to play grave side (bag pipes) at services for the indigent, homeless, vets,  those with no family. I do it for free for those cases.

I got a call one day asking if i could accompany him at a service for a homeless veteran. He was a well known fixture, but no one really 'knew' him. and apparently he had no known family. He died after a long illness in the veteran's hospital where apparently no one had visited him.  No one claimed the body.

Now, nine times out of ten the services are at the same large municipal grave yard. This time though the burial was to be an hour out of city in a small semi-rural town.

I drove there with time to spare. Typically ten minutes early.

I got lost.

I drove around looking. Plenty of time. Nothing. I retraced my route, tried to get a signal on my phone. Nothing. Panicking, I drove down a street I'd already tried when i spotted a group in a far corner of a field over a small rise. I'd missed them the first time by

I ran. Out of breath (I'm a heavy man) and got to them only to see i was too late.

The workers, two men, and a backhoe, were already at the grave. The funeral director was gone. I could see the concrete vault was already half covered. I felt horrible.  I'd missed it.

The men were drinking water when i got to them. I said "i'm sorry i'm so late. Would you mind if i played anyway?"

They looked at each other, then at me, kilt and bagpipes and all, then at each other, and shrugged.

I stood a foot from the edge of the hole. Usually I am off a bit away, to create a more distant echo effect. But not today.

I played the old standard. Amazing Grace.

No one should die alone like he did. Alone surrounded by strangers I mean. Without family. A veteran, poor and homeless.

I played like I had never played before. Sometimes it can feel mechanical. But this time, this poor man... it really took hold of me. I admit it. I started to tear up, but I just played louder and more deeply, fighting the tears back, eyes closed.

The men stood and took off their hard hats.

I played and played. I started to cry openly, but kept playing. They began to cry too, just the three of us in that field around the grave. We were silent for a full minute afterward. I was out of breath. The men looking down. sniffing.  Now all of us a little self conscious.

The older man put his hard hat back on. Wiped his eyes and glasses with a bandana.  Head down a bit sheepishly he looked up at me, in the eye. Held out his hand.

I took it and he clasped it with his other hand. And said...

"I've never seen anything like that before, and I've been putting in septic tanks for damn near forty years"

Sorry Darby.....you posted this on the wrong thread. I am quite sure the Buffalo would have awarded you a pair of tickets to the Eggtoberfest had you posted it over there.....You are most deserving for your efforts however.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw That was great. It went from one extreme to the other in a split second. Great laugh!
    Snellville, GA

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Just opened up the floor in our bedroom. Happens to be directly over where we want to install a light fixture in the LR below. Now I get to snake wires in the walls and in the crawl space. Fun times!

@NC_Egghead  Hey, that looks familiar...

Phoenix 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Hopefully my father-in-law doesn't mind me using his car lift for my Jeep build
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Come on Barbie, lets go party...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    blasting said:

A trussed floor with 2x4s flat.  First time I've seen that.
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Come on Barbie, lets go party...
    Maybe one more beer and I would
    have asked, "What kind of jeep are you building?!"  Yup. I'm that guy. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    DAMN YOU!!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    :lol:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    blasting said:

I got my electric roughed in all the way to the switch in the LR. Had to change a single gang box to a double. Under the house in the crawl space was the worst part of the job. I've got 2 inspection holes to fix which isn't too bad.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    All you eggheads have got me seriously considering a black stone grill, so today I'm having lunch with my bro and a friend I mention I'm thinking about getting a new grill, but there's a twist (I say this because they know I'm pro charcoal) and my bro says, "what you can have sex with it too?" Maybe I talk about my egg too much :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blasting
    Options

Your brother is a practical man.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Making one of my favorite late night snacks. Waffles and Neapolitan ice cream with cane syrup.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Streaming Hawaiian music and pounding bourbon-only a LEO trip tonight if I gauge the fuel consumption right.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    blasting said:

A trussed floor with 2x4s flat.  First time I've seen that.
    The top and bottom chords of the truss are 2x4s. 

Stronger than dimensional lumber by far
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• blasting
    Options
    The top and bottom chords of the truss are 2x4s. 

Stronger than dimensional lumber by far

Not sure I follow Darby.  2x4's are dimensional lumber
    Phoenix 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The truss comprises 2x4s

top and bottom chords are 2x4s

Although 2x4s are (technically) dimensional lumber, no one would ever confuse them for capital-D Dimensional capital-L Lumber, i.e. Anything you'd use for a floor joist

which means this floor is not framed from 2x4s "on flat" as Nola hastily assumed. Rather it is a floor with truss-joist framing. Which trusses just so happen to be made from 2x4s.  

Which is very different

you can't frame a floor of any significant span with 2x4 dimensional lumber

but you can sure as hell span a decent distance with a truss comprising 2x4s

(ex-architect with a concentration in structural engineering)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options

Costco prime sirloin cut into kebabs and marinated in soy/wine/bunch of stuff and seared at 600.  Served with stuffed mushrooms, and grilled green onions.  Just a meat pic though.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Legume said:

Costco prime sirloin cut into kebabs and marinated in soy/wine/bunch of stuff and seared at 600.  Served with stuffed mushrooms, and grilled green onions.  Just a meat pic though.
    Nice. But we're in the middle of a discussion about 2x4s. 

Jus' sayin'

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Dimensional meat Darby.  I would live in a house of meat if it wouldn't go bad and kill me.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I used to dance under the name "Dinensional Meat"

put myself thru college that way

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The truss comprises 2x4s

top and bottom chords are 2x4s

Although 2x4s are (technically) dimensional lumber, no one would ever confuse them for capital-D Dimensional capital-L Lumber, i.e. Anything you'd use for a floor joist

which means this floor is not framed from 2x4s "on flat" as Nola hastily assumed. Rather it is a floor with truss-joist framing. Which trusses just so happen to be made from 2x4s.  

Which is very different

you can't frame a floor of any significant span with 2x4 dimensional lumber

but you can sure as hell span a decent distance with a truss comprising 2x4s

(ex-architect with a concentration in structural engineering)

I'm thoroughly appreciative of trusses and how they work as a system to be greater than the sum of their parts (compared to being used as components alone, just as joists).

I'm just saying it's the first time I've seen that configuration in particular.  I've seen it with the 2x4s 90 degrees oriented from the picture.  I understand it's easier to nail the diagonals as shown in the picture, just not as strong as it's covered on both sides by flooring and ceiling.