Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thaw Meat quick

Options
What is the quickest and safest way to thaw out a 12 lb boneless pork shoulder? I was just made aware of a party tomorrow. Ugh! Thx for the help friends!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If it's still in the cryo vac, a cooler or bucket with room temp tap water. should that in 4-6 hours or so
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Engine6
    Options
    WHAT? Never heard of that. How much time is added? I usually do the cook Turbo style..
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    1-2 hours additional in my experience 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If it's still in the cryo vac, a cooler or bucket with room temp tap water. should that in 4-6 hours or so
    +1, even faster if you have a pump to circulate the water. More info in this thread:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1199096/defrosting

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @Engine6 -  welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  I would start the cook in the 260-280*F range on the dome for a couple of hours and then move into turbo territory.  Give yourself  plenty of room to the finish-line as the butt will do just fine in the FTC for several hours.  
    And a side ? -  are you sure it's 12 lbs and not a two-pack of 6 lb butts?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    The fastest way is under running tap water probably similar to the pump up above. I've cooked plenty of them frozen though with no noticeable difference. It just takes a bit before you can get the thermometer in. 
  • Engine6
    Options
    Wow Louis, nice catch! It looks like it could be two Shoulders in the Cryo pack!
  • Engine6
    Options
    Ugh, spell check! Lousubcap 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They cook fine frozen, thaw them out a bit in a bucket of water so the rub sticks and they will take a few hours longer to cook, or just cook hotter.

Otherwise, microwave.  (I kid, I kid)

lousubcap said:
    @Engine6 -  welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  I would start the cook in the 260-280*F range on the dome for a couple of hours and then move into turbo territory.  Give yourself  plenty of room to the finish-line as the butt will do just fine in the FTC for several hours.  
    And a side ? -  are you sure it's 12 lbs and not a two-pack of 6 lb butts?

Now I gotta go look at mine to see if it is one or two.....and it is probably two.  Going to be freezing one of them when I get home now!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Engine6
    Options
    Tiki, how do I respond to just your reply, instead of posting at the bottom?
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Hit quote. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Engine6
    Options
    Hit quote. 
    Awesome thanks friend!
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Engine6 said:
    Hit quote. 
    Awesome thanks friend!
    We will get through this rookie thing together!!!

Livermore, California
  • Engine6
    Options
    Engine6 said:
    Hit quote. 
    Awesome thanks friend!
    We will get through this rookie thing together!!!
    Lol sounds great! I tried following you, but it won't let me.