Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Defrosting

Options
Are there any recommendations anyone has got how they defrost their meat?  Costco obviously sells in quantity that require freezing some of it. I vacuum seal it prior to freezing. When you defrost, how many days ahead of time do you do it?  Just in the sink? Slow in the fridge?  No tricks, I'm just over thinking things that really don't make much of a difference?  Marinate prior to freezing?
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    The boys at Amazing Ribs have a bit on this.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/thawing_meat.html

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Perfect!  Thanks a ton!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My frozen meat is always vacuum packed.  I throw that in some water.  If it's not a huge roast, it'll be half thawed after not too long.  Chuck it in the fridge.  Cook when you're ready.

I'll hot tub steaks when frozen, then sear.

Turkeys and large slabs of meat I throw in a cooler with water.  Make sure you don't forget about them.  When they're half thawed, throw in the fridge.
    Options
    Some things seems to cook as well (reports of even "better" heard of) when frozen.  Pork butt is one of those.  Thaw enough to get your rub to stick and put it in the smoker.
    Options
    I don't marinated before freezing. My favourite way to defrost is cooler with ice water and aquarium pump...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189388/defrosting-frozen-meat-with-aquarium-pump

canuckland
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I have an extra fridge so I usually toss it in the bottom level of that fridge as I need it. I had never heard of the 4lb per 24 hours, that's great to know. 

If I need it faster I do the water in a cheap cooler. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I defrost in the fridge given enough time to let my vac packed stuff thaw. I figure if I've been paying to keep it frozen, maybe I can get a bit of that back by letting the fridge work a little less as the stuff thaws. If in a hurry, a bowl/sink of water depending on the size to hurry things along.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tikigriller
    Options
    What does the pump do?  Just keeping the water moving around the meat?   I actually have one of those laying around in the garage!

Livermore, California
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I FS all my meats. I just pull from the freezer just before I leave and put it on a plate on the counter and cook it when I get home.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Frozen meat cooks fine, maybe better than thawed. I've done chicken, turkey, rib roast and butts frozen. Have not tried steaks or chops. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    What I do:

Move turkey from freezer to fridge on the Saturday before thanksgiving.  When thanksgiving comes I realize turkey is still frozen solid.  Then it goes in water bath while everyone except me stresses about the finish time.  .   Maybe it will be Friday. 

On the egg it goes still frozen in the middle.  Victory and success are mine hours later. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Frozen meat cooks fine, maybe better than thawed. I've done chicken, turkey, rib roast and butts frozen. Have not tried steaks or chops. 

This is a very interesting statement to me.  How much more time do you tend to allow for this...and I assume, this would apply to indirect cooking methods.....

Livermore, California
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Tiki,

The first time I did it was when I had three butts on. There was space for one more so I stuck a frozen one on. Took about four hours longer than the others( all around ten pounds). One Thanksgiving I was worrying I didn't have enough turkey so I put a frozen one on (14 pounds frozen ant 20 pounds fresh). They both took the same time. Other than that I've done frozen alone so I can't really comment on times. Definitely longer on low and slows but not so much at higher temps. Crap, Crenshaw is gonna kill me on that last sentence. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tikigriller
    Options
    I'm going ot have to experiment with that.......we never know what we want for dinner tonight, much less tomorrow night in my household!!!!!

Livermore, California
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    What does the pump do?  Just keeping the water moving around the meat?   I actually have one of those laying around in the garage!
    IMO @Toxarch explained it best in my link above...

ToxarchToxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,011
    td66snrf said:
    I agree with Bud. What was the purpose of the pump?
    Most heat transfer is from the surface of the water. By circulating the water, you are exposing more water to the surface. Without the pump, it would still thaw, but at a slower rate because the colder water will want to settle to the bottom of the cooler and the transfer of heat will be very slow.
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Large BGE

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Steven, agree, but it's not fun trying to remove membrane from frozen racks of ribs  =)
    canuckland
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    second @Hotch post re: amazing ribs info
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hotch said:

I have never once been steered wrong by Meathead. Mileage may vary for others, but in my books, he's the real deal.
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hotch said:

I kind of copied Amazing Ribs' #2 + #3, ice cubes to keep water cold, pump to circulate so no need to stir manually, remote thermometer to sound alarm when water temp exceeds 40-42F.
    canuckland