Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often do you clean out the ashes?

How much ash do you let collect beneath the fire bowl before you clean it out or do you clean it before every cook?  Is the ash tool sufficient or do you use other methods as well?
Large BGE
Huntsville, AL

Comments

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited July 2016
    I clean mine out after each cook. I shake my kickash basket into a home depot  bucket. After that i stick my hand thru the lower vent and scoop ash into the same bucket. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited July 2016
    When it's too full to get event airflow. Probably 20# of lump. Rake out the majority and leave a little. No big deal. 

Edit: in the large. Same for MM but not 20#
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I started out as a shop-vacer when it was new and shiny, but have switched to the ash tool every 3-4 cooks.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I swirl the lump and clean out the bottom before every cook - I like keeping things consistent
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I do a full clean before each low and slow.... between those I don't clean anything.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I scoop the XL every 3rd or 4th cook, the MM after the second cook. Total breakdown every 60 days.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Every 3 cooks or so and/or before every low and slow. Depends on time and temp of the prior cooks. 

I am probably due for a total breakdown............ me and the Egg - thanks @YukonRon.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    I take a peek under the fire grate every once in awhile and when the ashes get to within 2" or so below the grate I do a full breakdown and clean everything out. The next time I do this I need to remember to take pictures of the inside of the base as I have a crack that runs across the bottom and up the backside.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    i used to clean it pretty often but lately i just shake a stick in there and even when its filled up to the holes it seems to knock it down/level enough, its got to be ten bags since i actually cleaned it last
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Me & Wilma haul our ashes every chance we get.  It makes us happy & keeps us busy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Every time. I got a metal bucket and keep it next to the Egg in case there are still hot coals from last time. I let that build up, let it chill for a couple of days, then chuck them over the fence. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I just peek through the lower vent to see if I have good airflow.  If not, I'll clean the ashes out.  This works out to every 3 to 4 short cooks.  

Our competition kamados get cleaned out 100% (internal ceramics removed, swept out) after every event but the back yard ones, only about 3 or 4 times a year.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I'm with @fishlessman , I just bore a hole and keep hammering. When I can't make any more room I scrape some out. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    Not a big deal to run the ash tool before every cook. Full clean-out whenever a LBGE brisket cook (or other L&S) is on the agenda.  For the SBGE, full clean-out if going with a L&S or every couple of months.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Every cook?  That's crazy talk.
    NOLA
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I clean mine every 1/2 cook. Sometimes while its in action. You can't keep a kamado too clean. The asbestos bags are a **** but you can't keep one too clean. Just need a fireproof vacuum and an ash can. EZ. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    yljkt said:
    I clean mine every 1/2 cook. Sometimes while its in action. You can't keep a kamado too clean. The asbestos bags are a **** but you can't keep one too clean. Just need a fireproof vacuum and an ash can. EZ. 
    Ahem--round of applause--ahem
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    As little as possible......it doesn't take much air to fuel the egg, so I wait until it's about full.  With the amount of ash that comes out, I estimate 2-3 20# bags worth.  1 bag cooks down to about 13 ounces, and I will have about 2#.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    No set schedule here...just whenever I feel like it honestly.   Never have run into any issues ....yet !!!

With the XL, there is plenty of ash area for air to circulate. Oh yeah...and I burn Rockwood, so there are few ashes to begin with !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• I fall into the "before every cook" bin. I will take out the firebox/ring every 4 to 5 cooks to get to the ashes that went back where the ash tool cannot reach. My theory is that a full air supply helps the Egg get to temperature faster and reduce the chance of one side burning while the other is cold. No science to back it up but it makes me feel thorough.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Thank you everyone for the info. I just had a quick cook today to get some burgers on the table and decided to give it a try not cleaning out. 

Everything went perfect and I was able to have dinner ready less then hour after I started the fire. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Shop vac every few cooks or whenever I reload. Quick and easy with Kick Ash basket.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Whenever I haven't cleaned it in a while and I have plenty of time before a cook. Or if I am doing a long cook then it definitely gets a complete cleanout.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Every 37 minutes.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I cant get Rock wood so I have to clean mine out very often.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I pull ceramics once a month or so.  I shop vac almost every cook.  Its hooked up right next to the egg, so it only takes a few seconds.   
    Phoenix 
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    I stick the shop vac underneath before every cook. Only because I have one vac that stays right beside the egg dedicated to those services.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    No set schedule, I use the ash tool to stir the remaining lump and clean out the vent holes and then add new on top. Clean out the bottom when it starts looking really full. I will clean it out completely before a long brisket or pork butt cook. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • A couple years back I bought an Ash Vac with a super fine filter, metal can, and metal lined hose. I use it after every cook, and pull the ceramics about every 3 to 6 months depending on how much I am cooking. Definitely clean it more during the Spring, Summer, and Fall, not so much in the Winter.