Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to lose my virginity

GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
So yesterday I learned how to hold my butt now I'm prepared to dive right in. Wife wanted to know if she could watch. I said OK as long as she took pics. Starting at 0600. 

Comments

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Good looking butt. Cant wait to see your thoughts on losing your butt virginity.... wait.... Anyway post them finished pics!!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Your innuendo is funny!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

...don't prematurely foil... ;)
    first time?  It's gonna finish fast.....
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Welcome to the de-virgined butt world!!!!  You never forget your first butt....or something like that !!!

It will be worth all the research and planning....after deviginization...it becomes a natural event !!!  With amazing results every time !!!

Post pics !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• dldawes1
    Following !!!!

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looks good- what is your current temp?
    Greensboro, NC
  • GrillSgt
    220. Took about 30 mins to get there. Just closed it up a little. 
  • GrillSgt
    Anyone use a mop? Thoughts?
  • GrillSgt
    Also does anyone turn their butt? I've always been fat side up but see a lot of pics on here of fat side down. 
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    I did mop once. Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, olive oil, and other random stuff. Mopped a few times throught the cook.
    Austin, Tx
  • dldawes1
    I never have mopped...I cook fatside down.

Different folks do different things....you have to eggsperiment for what is best for you on many things egg related. 

Some methods are tried and proven...need to be followed...but these two questions are personal preference. IMHO !

• GrillSgt
    Ok thanks. Fat up no mop it is. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    In general, you want the fat toward the heat.  The natural tendency of an egg is that the heat is rising so bottom of the butt (or brisket or whatever) is subjected to more heat.  You can cook fat side up if you go to some effort to make sure the rising heat is very well blocked so that the meat closer to the dome will be subjected to more heat.

In many low and slow cooks the difference is not really enough to matter, but once you go above 275 or so - and definitely on a turbo cook at 350 - it can be an issue.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2016
    I need to try injecting.....never have and never felt the need but am intrigued to see the difference.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I will agree with @dldawes1. Never had an issue, always great results.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Looks great so far.  I would agree that mopping isn't necessary and as far as the fat cap goes, well that's all up to you.  No wrong way on the egg really.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GrillSgt
    I'm having trouble keeping the temp down. It's 250 and I don't think I can close it down much more. Any thoughts?
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    250 is fine.  Doesn't need to be lower.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    If you're around 270 - 275 it shouldn't be an issue....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    You can reduce the openings on top and bottom by 50% and your fire will still keep burning.  But personally, I'd just be happy at 250 and declare victory.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dldawes1
    edited July 2016
    Close the bottom more to lower....or let it ride and allow it to stabilize. Your bottom vent pic looks like there is plenty opening to cut back if desired.

For L&S cooks, I ride around 250-260...like I said...different strokes for different folks. You will be OK.

An 1/8-3/16 is not uncommon for a low temp cook. Butts are forgiving...don't stress...it can handle varying temps while you get it stabilized.

Following.

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    for me to hold 250 or below the bottom vent is open literally the width of a credit card and the daisy wheel just so I can barely see a crack...  Took me several tries to believe that it wouldn't go out with that little air, but the Egg is a remarkable thing!   I also learned the hard way about the importance of calibrating the dome thermometer....  First butt cook lasted forever because it was off by 25+ degrees!  Welcome to the non-virgin butt world!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • dldawes1
    I believe in what many folks here say...that eggs have their own "sweet spot" where they like to stabilize at various damper settings. 

Don't get into chasing temps....let it stabilize, or it will drive you crazy.

I normally leave the top DW 100% open and still achieve L&S Temps.

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    You can go half again what you have there. I do all my low and slow at 250-275. The wood chucks smoke better at that temp in my large.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • GrillSgt
    Thanks. It was at 260 and I closed it down to what you see and went to town for over an hour. I will close it some more but I'm ok at 250 also.
  • GrillSgt
    Have to say I'm amazed at how little air it takes to keep it going. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    275 dome thermometer is an ideal temp for this type of cook on the egg. If you're around there, I would let it fly.
    You'll be happy with the results !!