Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

July 10 South MS River Fest

123457»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SWMBO and I had a wonderful Sunday out at Scott's place.  There was some world-class food and drink, good company and a beautiful location. 

The kobe short ribs that Scott cooked were perfect - the best I've ever had.  Sping and Hen Chicken were cranking out delicious magnums (I think they were called that) - multi-stuffed layers of goodness.  Hotch was a cooking machine - loved the fried rum shortcake, the pig patties were incredible (SWMBO is determined to make them).  There was more food coming out than I can remember, and it was all good. 

The bourbon slushies are addictive...I wasn't allow to drink more than two of them because I had to drive the boat and tow it back to New Orleans.

All you suckers that couldn't make it missed out on a great time....

The only down side on the whole day was on my truck - damn front tire went out of round - it was like driving on a square wheel.  I drove back to New Orleans below the speed limit, which was very painful for me.

YEMTrey said:
    Haha.  I know Deepsouth from a beer forum.  Good peep.  Small world!

Which one!??
  • nolaegghead

BTW - The beer on the right is @nolabrew 's version of a tropical summer shandy.  It was a bag of grain on Tuesday.  He added guava juice for the sweetness and it came out around 4% ABV.

The beer on the left I made - it's a Kolsch.  I made the beer and my fermenting refrigerator unfortunately wasn't working so it fermented about 15F above the ideal temp for that yeast.  I thought it would be terrible but I was very happy with it.  (it started off somewhat terrible when fresh but 2 months of cold conditioning did wonders)
    deepsouth said:
    YEMTrey said:
    Haha.  I know Deepsouth from a beer forum.  Good peep.  Small world!

Which one!??
    TBS.  (Phish)
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Thanks, @Thatgrimguy for a great time and awesome food.  You have a killer place on the river - perfect for that sort of fiesta.  Everyone's food was great - too much to list here, but @Hotch 's pork cakes were better than I ever would have thought (and they looked great to begin with).  Special thanks to @nolaegghead for doing the driving - square wheel and all.
    NOLA
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    The bourbon slushies are addictive...
    Sounds like something I should learn how to make for the guy...  
    Who's got the recipe for that? 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Sweet100s said:

Bourbon Slushies

1 - 12oz Frozen Lemonade Concentrate
    1 - 12oz Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate 
    2 cups Unsweetened Ice Tea
    3 cups Bourbon (more if you are manly)
    7 cups Water
    1 cup Sugar
    mix all until sugar dissolves 
    Freeze overnight.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    What an amazing event. Thanks to all that posted for the poor saps that could not make.

Scott...Hats off to you and your generosity for hosting such a gathering!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    edited July 2016

THE Host

Thanks for having us Scott! 

• nolaegghead
    That's pretty cool.  And detailed too.  I see those individual wood shingles.  I like seeing stuff like that, mostly because there's probably not another like it anywhere in the world.  It's not only unique, its yours...

I'm sure there are many similar handmade-by-you items around the house.  Sawdust begets more sawdust. 

Most everyone knows I built my Chicken Coop outdoor kitchen.  But one day I decided to build a 1/12th scale model of it just to see if I could.  Took two days because about 3/4 way through I dropped it.  But I knew where all the parts went, so I put 'em all back and started again where I left off.  

There's been a few changes to the big Coop since I made the little one, but here's the video I put together for the scale model one followed by the a video of the big one.  Look closely and you will see a handmade ceiling fan in it.  I also hung chandeliers in it too, and made the weathervane out of brass tubing and a miniature glass chicken.  It actually turns in the wind.  The countertops are Corian, just like in the big Coop.  Even the signage is exact replicas.  It was a fun project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfwq7NiTF64

This is The Coop just over a year ago.  We've since added a couple more Eggs and a few trinkets people have donated, but it's still a really fun place to cook, or just hang out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYaf2A86rXE

It survived 125 mph hurricane winds that really did a number on our neighborhood a few years back. The wind bent my weathervane but everything else was undamaged.

Maybe I need to build a basement in it.  But that may be a problem because its a known fact that we have people buried there.  We back up to a very old family cemetery and only family could be buried there.  So everyone else was buried outside the cemetery on the fringes.  So no basement in the future.

Next time you're over this way, stop by for the tour.

Good seeing you again in Biloxi.

Spring "Sawdust Maker And Sometimes Awesome Cook" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Thank you Mr. Grim ! 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Sweet100s said:

Bourbon Slushies

7 cups Water
    1 cup Sugar
    Freeze overnight.
    What size container do you make these in?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I have heard many times that @Spring Chicken and @Spring Hen are two of the nicest people you could ever want to meet and I have to say this is an absolute fact. Look at the absolutely beautiful handcrafted gift they brought my wife and I. Tons of wonderful details, hand stained glass, and even a bell tower. We are honored and love it. Thank you so much Leeroy and Judy.

That is great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited July 2016
    thetrim said:
    Sweet100s said:

Bourbon Slushies

7 cups Water
    1 cup Sugar
    Freeze overnight.
    What size container do you make these in?
     Mix in 5 Gallon bucket then put in vac bags sealed in the freezer.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    You're welcome.  It's the least we could do considering the heckofa party you threw.  Many thanks for inviting us.  We had a great time and met some really great people.  Keep us in mind if you send out invites for the next one.

I'm assembling the near 200 photos I took now.  Now let's see what I can do with them.

Spring "Working On The Eight Minute Party Movie" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I have heard many times that @Spring Chicken and @Spring Hen are two of the nicest people you could ever want to meet and I have to say this is an absolute fact. Look at the absolutely beautiful handcrafted gift they brought my wife and I. Tons of wonderful details, hand stained glass, and even a bell tower. We are honored and love it. Thank you so much Leeroy and Judy.

Its a well known fact that if you're friends with The Chickens, you're friends with a whole lotta people at any given eggfest! :) They're a hoot to hang out with.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    @Spring Chicken... I am looking forward to your pics, so far all the pics I have seen have portrayed this bash as very civilized and orderly !!!!! l am sure there must be some candid shots, esp. with the amount of slushies that Scott made..;) 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....