Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When chemo looks to be failing- GO TO THAT HAPPY PLACE AND FARKIN COOK (pic heavey)

Well we won't go to that dark place and spend a lot of time talking about how round 4 of 6 with the Chemo treatments appears to be failing.  After all this is a place to talk about cooking, great meals, getting over it and enjoying life.

So that is what I did following the last blood work results.  I went out to my "Happy Place", cooked up something good, drank some adult beverages and said to hell with it for a while.  Besides, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the chemo comes with a steroid that jazzes me up for about 3 days.  Lots of energy to burn and no time to sit around and mope.

The menu was Thick-ass Ribeyes (about 20oz each), grilled veggies in my new stainless grill wok I picked up at Home Depot for  $14, and baked taters.

Happy Place that puts all of the troubles in the world into perspective for a little while.

The steaks were rubbed with Lane's Ancho Expresso Coffee Rub.  The veggies (yellow squash, zucchini, sweet onion & grape maters) were coated with EVOO and Balsamic vinegar.

Veggies in the grill wok first and add the maters at the end so as not to over cook them.  I love the size of this grill wok, it fits perfectly in the Medium.

And that is how you take a not so great (crappy) day and turn it into something you can live with for a while.  There is always a bright side to the day, some times you just have to look a little farther to find it.  BGE came to the rescue in fine fashion.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Way to bring the great attitude and the great cook.  And that's quite a happy place you've got there.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Now that is such a great attitude and I hope and pray that things work out for you... Now the cook.... WOW !!!!Pure magic, perfection and what a great setting.. May God bless and I hope you have a comfortable weekend.. Cheers John..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Happy place is beautiful and the cook looks fantastic. Stay strong and positive!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Keep up the fight, keep the egg hot and the beverages cold. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Unfortunately I can relate to all sides of your current challenges.  That said, what a positive approach and way to get after it in a great setting.  That cook is a thing of beauty.  Stay positive and don't let the ba$tards wear you down-
    You've got this!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Well said, @Dobie. Well said.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Love those happy places, and the grub! You my friend are an inspiration!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • GYMRITE
    GYMRITE Posts: 4
     Keep up the good fight brother!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Sorry about the Cemo, but your Happy Place is AWESOME and the foods looks Awesome as well.  I pray your health improves for you.  Great way to be positive.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Keep on keepin on, my friend.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Keep the good cooks rolling!!! Happiness is the best medicine. Your photos of your cooking atmosphere and the goodness on the egg are enough to make anyone's day. Cheers to you for your amazing outlook - wishing you pure happiness @Sonny3!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Dude! You have style and class. You remind us to carry on. And I hope you do.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Gorgeous happy place, great looking cook, wonderful attitude!

It ain't over till it's over -- doctors get surprised sometimes by people walking around and having a good life many years after they were supposedly gonna be gone.  You are in my prayers.
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Great attitude, and great setup!
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Give it hell, @Sonny3.

My dad and I spent a lot of time giving him "ribotherapy," and good grub is great medicine. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    What a great cook and an awesome place to do it!
    I love that whole environment, particularly the serving bar right next to the grills.  Must be a fun outdoor kitchen when you get to serve direct from the grill.  Fantastic!

Stay positive!  You got this. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Stay strong my brother! Why to take care of yourself, put yourself in the happy place and enjoy cooking and a few adult beverages. The cook looks amazing by the way. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Keep up the strong, positive attitude! I know when I was fighting C myself I needed to do exactly the same. I hope some day to read that you have joined us in having beaten it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    +1 to all the positive comments above!  Great Happy Place!  Fantastic Positive outlook on life and living in the now!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Awesome @Sonny3, and I gotta get me one of those "Weber Style" woks for veggies. Those steaks look great! 
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Sonny, I am in the same town.  Let me know if I can help with anything.  I beat prostate cancer, but it wasn't really much of a fight.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I'm really digging your Happy Place. Awesome cook too. I'm really pulling for you bro. Good luck.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    As sh*tty as life can get, you made my day. Beautiful set up!  Killer food. Happy place, indeed. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Thank you for the words of wisdom. "There is always a bright side to the day, some times you just have to look a little farther to find it." So true!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • B727
    B727 Posts: 18
    Sonny, you've got an attitude that is inspirational to all - everyone us here can learn from you and live our lives in the present, doing what we love and being with who we love. Keep up the fine pix of the great food from your "Happy Place" - Our prayers are with you and your family for an improvement in the chemo results and many years of happy, farkin' cooking.

Bill and Sylvia in Daytona Beach
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    As I was reading your original post, my 11 year-old son walked by, looked at your photo on my computer and said "now that's a nice room!".

Keep up the good attitude, it goes a long way.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Keep up the good fight and best of luck as you move down that difficult road.  Every time I hear of someone in the fight I remember the words of one of your famous basketball coaches, Jimmy Valvano, in his fight against cancer.  "Don't give up, don't EVER give up".  Great looking meal none the less.  Enjoy your happy place, keep your chin up, and best of luck. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • You live well.  
    SATX--LBGE
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    You're an inspiration to us all. I wish you well. Great looking grub too!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Awesome setup, and great looking cook there. Don't give up on the chemo either, we need good eggheads here!!!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.