Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Companion for the large BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    gmac said:
    I thought the grill dimensions for the small and MM were the same. Not sure then why one over the other but really, with 4 boys (10-16), I am finding I can't cook enough ribs etc on the large. But is that reason enough to add a Medium?  I think for me, given I don't plan to travel with it, a 2nd large may even be the best bet.  Likely Medium or Large will be my next but I do love the thought of a MM for some reason. 
    I know I might as well get another large too. I love the space but the I'm still stuck with the issue of Weber'n at camp which really isn't that fun anymore next to Egg'n.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Powak said:
    Btw, to the OP, unless you really plan to travel a lot, my vote is Medium.
    I've heard the medium is good and read a forum where these guys used the mediums more than their other eggs.
    My medium gets most the grunt work.  If I need the absolute fastest up to temp Egg, the Medium gets the call.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The main reason I got a second large is so that all of the accessories I already had for my first large could be used for the second, so my only real out of pocket was the egg itself. So that's another factor to consider when calculating cost. I know the OP wanted portability, so this may be a moot point, but I raise it for others who may not need the portability.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have a small and mini, to complement my large egg. I cooked on @20stone 's MM this weekend and LOVED it. I have one of those small eggs that takes forever to get up to temp for whatever reason. The mini is nice, but I have lately found myself cooking for more than 2, but not enough to fire up the large, often. I'm considering selling the small and mini, to replace them with a MM. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Powak
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have a small and mini, to complement my large egg. I cooked on @20stone 's MM this weekend and LOVED it. I have one of those small eggs that takes forever to get up to temp for whatever reason. The mini is nice, but I have lately found myself cooking for more than 2, but not enough to fire up the large, often. I'm considering selling the small and mini, to replace them with a MM. 
    I love the idea of being able to take the MM to a concert and tailgating or go camping. I just need to rig together or find a cheap table to put it on when cooking next to my large.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    blackstone griddle =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    blackstone griddle =)
    Hey, I added a Weber 22" kettle to my LBGE and couldn't be happier. At least I got it in green.
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    And here I was thinking a large as a companion to my XL. I'm thinking the large would probably get the majority of the cooks and the XL for big grills and brisket smokes.  Am I off here?  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Mosca said:
    blackstone griddle =)
    Hey, I added a Weber 22" kettle to my LBGE and couldn't be happier. At least I got it in green.
    I consider my 22" kettle to be my XL. As infrequently as I need that much real estate I didn't think it was worth the coin to get an actual XL.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Powak
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mosca said:
    blackstone griddle =)
    Hahahahah. I've kept all 3 of my weber kettles. Have you ever tried running lump in em? I've been curious how they do with that and if you can close the vents and re-light like the egg. One of my kettles is the 18" Jumbo Joe and if that would work good with lump I'll just keep that and forget about  getting a minimax right now.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Powak said:
    Mosca said:
    blackstone griddle =)
    Hahahahah. I've kept all 3 of my weber kettles. Have you ever tried running lump in em? I've been curious how they do with that and if you can close the vents and re-light like the egg. One of my kettles is the 18" Jumbo Joe and if that would work good with lump I'll just keep that and forget about  getting a minimax right now.
    Yes, you can run lump in a kettle, and yes you can shut it down and re-use leftover lump.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    The main reason I got a second large is so that all of the accessories I already had for my first large could be used for the second, so my only real out of pocket was the egg itself. So that's another factor to consider when calculating cost. I know the OP wanted portability, so this may be a moot point, but I raise it for others who may not need the portability.
    That is why I have 3 different eggs!  I love getting new shipments from CGS and Smokeware.   Accessories are half the fun!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Powak said:
    Mosca said:
    blackstone griddle =)

Yes you can use lump, but it works better with briquettes. You can close the vents and reuse the briquettes, and they are $10 for 37 lbs on sale around the summer holidays. Just shovel them into the canister, dump fresh charcoal on top, and light from the bottom, easy peasy. I've also dumped the half-used briquettes into the egg, no big deal.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

For open and close cooks - burgers etc.,I prefer the kettle.  Every cooker has it's strengths.  The egg has a lot of overlap, but it isn't the best at everything.

Phoenix 
  • Powak
    edited July 2016
    Options
    blasting said:

For open and close cooks - burgers etc.,I prefer the kettle.  Every cooker has it's strengths.  The egg has a lot of overlap, but it isn't the best at everything.

For me the kettle does three things better than my egg; beer chickens, boneless thighs and  boneless pork country ribs.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Pondered the same question and went with just getting a second large. The benefit is that all accessories can be used on both eggs. No regrets. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    I burn lump in the Webber 22 frequently and, before the bottom vent rusted open, was able to shut down and reuse.  Most frequent use is for burgers and dogs during a larger gathering, or to make lunch while there's L&S on the LBGE.  I like lump on the Weber for the flavor profile on fish or meats.  I use briquettes for dogs, etc. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have always and still do say the best backyard combo is a Large and a Small. On top of that using a PotLifter then that small becomes very portable. I can carry mine by myself like a duffle bag!

oh gosh.... this argument between you two again....

I will say though, your contraption is GHETTO!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I used to have the L and M combo. The medium is absolutely my favorite egg for many of the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. I sold my first medium and bought a second large because I thought it would be great to have the accessories swap. Truth is, if I'm using the accessory in one egg, I still need something for the second one.

The medium is my "spatchcock" cooker and the skin comes out perfect every time. It just has the right distance from the fire and the dome for that cook. They don't come out the same on the large or small with the exact same method. 

It can be portable too - I took my medium and my mini (I don't have a mini max) to a friend's cabin this past weekend. I was going to take my small but I couldn't fit the cook on it (a whole Costco rack of pork). Made a few batches of chicken wings over the weekend too. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I had the same dilemma about a year ago and went with a MM. I don't regret it. I use it for quick family cooks and appetizers when my large is busy. I have successfully cooked two racks of ribs on my MM. Love the portability too. 
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited July 2016
    Options

I'm hitching on this thread.  I've been flip-flopping between medium or extra-large to go with my large.

Reason for the flip-flopping is that I make several butts for the church events or to help with the fund raising for my kids school or organization.  Not only that, I have large family and they always ask for brisket, butt or smoked salmon of their own when I'm ready to make.  They give me some $$ for the work.  :-)  So having an extra space would help but that's pretty much the only reason.  

But most time... it is more about my cook.  I love to roast vegetables to go with my protein.  Usually I have to plan my cook with the limited space of my large.  That happens maybe two or three times a month.  It's not a big deal though.

So I figure I'll do medium for my proteins and large for vegetables.  Do you find that having two eggs lighted up is a bit of chore?  Would I want to just light up an XL?

Another question.  If I do want to go with a medium.  Will I want to do indirect cook?  What about raised direct meaning the woo from CGS?

Thoughts?   Your input will help me figure out what to get.

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    Options

I have a medium and a large.  The medium does great with direct or indirect cooking.  I've made everything from brisket to pizza on it.

I've done raised direct on the medium, but not using the woo.  I have another contraption that I bought from the dealer that gets the meat above the gasket line.

I have 6 people in my house now so I find myself using my large more.  I use the large and medium for Sunday dinners (15+ people).

I hope this helps.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @dfrelich - I use multiple eggs during a meal at least once or twice a week. For some of those cooks, I could fire up a L and do it all on one, but oftentimes I want two different cook temps or one direct and one indirect. I use the Woo on my M egg on nearly every cook. I also made a second tier for it from a Weber grid and some stainless bolts.

I've never had an XL or cooked on one for that matter. There have been a few times when one would have been nice but I'm "getting by" if you know what I mean.  ;) 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited July 2016
    Options
     minniemoh said:
    @dfrelich - I use multiple eggs during a meal at least once or twice a week. For some of those cooks, I could fire up a L and do it all on one, but oftentimes I want two different cook temps or one direct and one indirect. I use the Woo on my M egg on nearly every cook. I also made a second tier for it from a Weber grid and some stainless bolts.

I've never had an XL or cooked on one for that matter. There have been a few times when one would have been nice but I'm "getting by" if you know what I mean.  ;) 
    Thanks thrillseeker & minniemoh...

So you're using platesetter or some sort of deflector every cook?  Or raised?  Am thinking whether platesetter is worth the purchase for medium when I already have large egg to use when I need em. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD