Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made the cart before the egg

Options
First time eggowner.  Saw these carts... needed a project.... knew I had to have one so I could build the cart.

Smoking my first dish.... salmon... right now.  Crazy temp issues, but thats for another forum.

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Well done sir!
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    COOL table!!! Only have 2 questions/suggestions - is the carcass of that drawer under your egg structurally sturdy enough to hold that heavy BGE? Secondly - the piece of "whatever stone" that the egg is sitting on will still be better off with pot feet, or something to keep your egg from resting right on that "stone". The bottoms of eggs get HOT and need air to prevent stone breakage let alone fire!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Very nice looking setup, but you need to get an air gap under the Egg. If you don't, the wood will start to char under that granite tile, and can lead to a fire. Google pyrolysis. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Vey much agree with the air gap. First hand knowledge. Absolutely beautiful table... and hedge...  he'll whole backyard is nice! Where are you?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Very nice! Take Rons advice on the feet. I think the dark stain is quite striking and will only look better with the nice green cooker installed. Bravo!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    First...Welcome and make yourself at home !!!

The eggdiction and the time spent here in the forum will make you a better person....or maybe a worse person !!!

Great looking table and still more ideas for me to use when I ever get to build mine !!!!

Thanks for posting !!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• LBH
    LBH Posts: 50
    Options
    Ain't worried about the weight.  It'll hold the Saturday night polka club from St. Anthony's church.

I'll work on implementing a gap.  Not sure I want a BGE nest or something from me.  I can always get some extreme temp silicon sheet from McMaster Carr.

There's no stain on the cart.  It's 100% cypress.  The dark wood is treated with fire to get a Japanese "Jin di sugi" effect.  The Japanese  buried their wood for years.

• LBH
    Options
    Too bad the dang Wood Kote poly darkened the soft grain.
  • LBH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Vey much agree with the air gap. First hand knowledge. Absolutely beautiful table... and hedge...  he'll whole backyard is nice! Where are you?
    I live behind the Orange Curtain, in The Peoples Republic of California.  We are few but a hearty bunch.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Nice looking table. I like the design also.

According to BGE HQ it is acceptable to just place an egg on a concrete paver (or slab of rock like in yours) when placed in a table. It might be better to implement an air gap in some manner but I wouldn't worry about it if you didn't.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's freaking hilarious!  I was just watching some documentary on this old age process. Obviously it works. Beautiful work & design. Definitely look at an air gap of some sort whether it be a table nest, pot ceramic feet or hand sculpted stone to fashion feet would be kinda cool. Enjoy your creation and look forward to seeing your chef skills. Cheers. Blake
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Being a life long wood butcher myself would you mind posting some more pictures of just your wood working shop? It looks like a "stand out shop" that those of us would admire and appreciate!
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    The talent among the members of this forum is amazing.  Well done!
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    That's some Amazing work!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Nice setup...table and work shop!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Beautiful work and shop!   I'm a Festool fan myself.
    Options
  • CountryBoy
    CountryBoy Posts: 102
    Options
    Dang beautiful table and an amazing work shop! A guy can dream right?!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Welcome.. WOW !!!! Awesome table and as said above fantastic work shop..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Awesome table and shop!! Some really nice work there.

I have the same Festool vacuum, but I use mine for drywall dust and debris, its a worthwhile investment. I used to burn through a shopvac in less than a year, and have had no issues with the festool for almost three years now.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Beautiful work and shop!   I'm a Festool fan myself.
    I'm with you there Nola. I've spent wayyyyyyy too much money on black and green tools/ Gorgeous table.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RRP said:
    COOL table!!! Only have 2 questions/suggestions - is the carcass of that drawer under your egg structurally sturdy enough to hold that heavy BGE? Secondly - the piece of "whatever stone" that the egg is sitting on will still be better off with pot feet, or something to keep your egg from resting right on that "stone". The bottoms of eggs get HOT and need air to prevent stone breakage let alone fire!
    @RRP: Does this meaning setting the stone on a paver stone is insufficient?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @RRP: *Egg on a paver stone*
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Am I the only one that sees faces in the wall?
    I did also notice them as well.. Very cool..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    @RRP: Does this meaning setting the stone on a paver stone is insufficient?
    That is correct - you need some form of spacer to separate the bottom of the egg and the stone. Common "pot" feet sold at landscaping shops will do. Or BGE sells a short metal stand it can sit in to provide the air space.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That's fantastic man!  Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga