Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce for pulled pork

Options
I'm looking for opinions on a good readily available sauce that goes good with pulled pork.  I normally don't sauce it but I would like to and my options are limited to big brands not boutique due to where I live.  Even online orderable would be good.  

Thanks!
Bigs
Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here is 3 that are pretty good. The first 2 are thin vinegar based sauces. The 3rd one is a mustard base sauce. I use each of them when I'm cheating pulled pork in the pressure cooker. However they can certainly be used with equally good results on true Q as well. 

Im actually quite fond of this mustard sauce. But I really like mustard.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions SGH, unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.  When I'm feeling ambitious I can get them shipped to the border and get my sister who lives near to pick it up.  I will definitely give them a shot. 
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    What do you enjoy? I can take readily available sauces and "adjust" them for the flavor I go for. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Maurice's Southern Gold is da bomb if you're a mustard fan.  Thanks @northGAcock!  Love that stuff.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    If you like vinegar based sauces, just google Fat Johnnies Bastardized Piedmont Sauce and make it yourself. It is my go to favorite. Sadly when I bring PP to work there are heathens that want to slather it with SBR. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Blue hogs Tennessee red is solid- it's a thinner vinegar based sauce. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Bone Sucking Sauce is readily available.  I believe I noticed in the Elfster sauce exchange that someone from Cali sent it to someone.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    I like Scotts (Amazon also sells it) 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    This

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Wolfpack said:
    This
    Another good one!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I haven't had the chance to try it with pork YET but the sauce for "The Chicken" is exceptional! It's a vinegar based pepper sauce it you like a lil' heat. I'm trying it this weekend of a butt myself  

Juice of 1 lemon
    2 TBS crushed red pepper
    2 TBS black pepper
    1 TBS cayene pepper
    4 TBS kosher salt
    2 TBS chile powder
    2 TBS hot sauce
    2 TBS worcestershire sauce
    1 TBS garlic powder
    1 pint white vinegar

bring to a simmer and then whisk in 1/2 vegetable oil                                                                     

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I use Franklins

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Options
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    if you want to just be able to grab something off the shelf at Kroger or Wal-Mart then I really enjoy Stubbs Sweet Heat.

If you are looking to order something not readily available in the stores then I would recommend checking out the following;

Swamp Boys Original
    Killer Hogs
    Blues Hog
    Jack's Old South

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you are willing to go online, I'll recommend Blues Hog Tennessee Red. Quarts happen to be on sale just now.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I use Franklins

This.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SGH said:
    Here is 3 that are pretty good. The first 2 are thin vinegar based sauces. The 3rd one is a mustard base sauce. I use each of them when I'm cheating pulled pork in the pressure cooker. However they can certainly be used with equally good results on true Q as well. 

I have to give George's a nod myself. While I certainly love the mustard based sauce.....this one is the real deal on the vinegar side. @tarheelmatt is lovin this I know. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think I can get a hold of Blues hog and bone suckin sauce locally so I will give them a shot asap, the rest I will have to try to order online, which I am not opposed to.

My sauce pallet is brutal, I grew up on Kraft original and have basically used that all my life.  A couple years ago I got a bottle of Fat Bastard Bear Bite and it was heaven in my mouth.  I ordered several of those off their website, I just now would like to expand past that but there is so much gimmicky sauces I figured I'd go to the professionals for advice. 
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    just bought three quarts tennessee red last week =) drizzle on ribs is good, not sure about it on pull yet as its sweater than i like for that. elder wards recipe for the vinegar sauce is my favorite for pull mixed in, stores in the fridge indefinitely, easy to make, top the pull with a sweater sauce like bone sucking or a stubbs origional. elderwards  other sauce tastes similar to stubbs

The Traditional North Carolina Sauce (A) I grew up with.
    This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast.  We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good.  She hated the mountains.  We all loved her folks.

• 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
    Makes 2 Cups

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.

Western North Carolina (Piedmont) style sauce (B)

• 1 C ketchup (Hot type)
    • 1 C water (bottled plain if you have fluorinated/treated) yuck:~(
    • ¼ C apple cider vinegar
    • 1 onion chopped fine
    • 3 cloves crushed garlic or 1 clove elephant garlic from Gilroy, CA
    • 2 Tbs. brown sugar
    • 2 Tbs. molasses (How can y'all have Mo lasses if you ain't had lasses da furst time?)
    • 2 Tbs. dry mustard (Coleman's English double fine is good)
    • 1 tsp.. cayenne or one fresh cut into ringlets seeds and all.
    Simmer for twenty minutes over low heat.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    SGH said:

I have to give George's a nod myself. While I certainly love the mustard based sauce.....this one is the real deal on the vinegar side. @tarheelmatt is lovin this I know. 
    Just goes to show, NC is Q!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    This is what I do:

2 cans of Root Beer (not diet!)
    1 12oz jar of Chili Sauce

Combine the Root Beer and Chili Sauce and bring to boil. Simmer until the liquid reduces into a thick sauce.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    just bought three quarts tennessee red last week =) drizzle on ribs is good, not sure about it on pull yet as its sweater than i like for that.

I usually pair the meat w. a vinegar slaw, that tempers the sweetness. And I get to feel good that I didn't neglect my greens.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     Vinegar-based sauces are pretty easy to make, and what I prefer on pulled pork. I never used to make my own but it's actually a fun part of the barbecue process I  had been missing out on for years. Give it a try!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Here is the sauce that 95+% of my guests prefer. 

1 cup distilled vinegar 
    1/4 cup ketchup 
    1/4 apple juice
    1tsp hot sauce 
    1tsp crushed red pepper
    1tsp ground black pepper 
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    3 tablespoons light brown sugar. 

Mix and let set up overnight for best results.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SGH said:

Just goes to show, NC is Q!  
    Lets not get carried away now.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I add black course ground pepper and maple syrup to the mustard sauces, and for traditional tomato/molasses sauces, I add peach preserves. Everyone loves them that has tried them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I usually prefer to make my own sauces.  Like @fishlessman, I most often use Elder Ward's eastern NC style vinegar sauce (which he posted above).  There's not a lot to it, but it moistens and gives a bit of a tang without covering up the pork flavor.

I really hate the name, but I also like "Dead Guy Sauce," which is also a very light sauce that is really delicious and doesn't overpower the pork.

And recently I tried a SC-style mustard sauce that surprised me by how good it was: Giddy Swamp South Carolina Mustard Sauce."  It was really good.