Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Center Cut Lump Charcoal

Options
Stopped by Lowes to browse and they had boxes of lump by Char-Broil on sale for 14.98. They didn't have a weight on the box so I assumed they were about 10 lbs give or take. 
1 LBGE. Winder, GA

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    That is a 1.48 per lb. rough math--I would order from Firecraft for that price. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    But... but... it's all the same SIZE!! :rofl:

http://www.charbroil.com/centercut-lump-charcoal

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Options
    Let's not forget the box that makes for easier storage. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Charbroil says the boxes are 11 pounds.  At $22 a box, that makes Rockwood seem downright cheap!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Is it possible to put this thread in "Time-Out" until Friday??  
    Edit:  I'm sure the center-cut yields uniform burning across the entire cut.  
    As the market expands, the mouse-traps follow.  There will be more for sure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    WTF? "Briquet consistency"?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    I don't care if they put lump in a lathe and spun it so it was identical size length and shape. They can put any label on it they want call it organic and Gluten Free. For that price I'll make my own out of dried cow chips. 

@stlcharcoal --now that my friend is a beautiful idea. Cow chip charcoal. 

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I don't care if they put lump in a lathe and spun it so it was identical size length and shape. They can put any label on it they want call it organic and Gluten Free. For that price I'll make my own out of dried cow chips. 

My father was in India for much of WWII.  He said the kids would follow the cows around and scoop up their crap as soon as it hit the ground,  run home and plaster it on the side of their dwelling to latter be used for cooking/heating fire after it had dried.  Wonder about the smoke profile?  Hey stlcharcoal,  Jstroke may be on to a new product for you.  Might even make the greenies happy turning all that terrible waste product into fuel.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am speechless.....regarding the entire thread thus far.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    @FarmerTom I do believe those were the founders of Cowboy lump.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    made for the elitists among us. DOH!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Jstroke said:

My father was in India for much of WWII.  He said the kids would follow the cows around and scoop up their crap as soon as it hit the ground,  run home and plaster it on the side of their dwelling to latter be used for cooking/heating fire after it had dried.  Wonder about the smoke profile?  Hey stlcharcoal,  Jstroke may be on to a new product for you.  Might even make the greenies happy turning all that terrible waste product into fuel.
    Still a common practice in rural India. Its essentially free, once you've fed the cow/buffalo!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    The Masai tribes in Africa prefer elephant dung as their "starter cube".  Then wood. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jstroke
    Options
    If this flies I want 1% royalties on all bags. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Jstroke no worries, lotta flies on the true natural fire starters/lump mentioned above... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    It's the best lump I've purchased from a big box retailer yet.  It's all the same size, no rocks, no fuel odor from the factory, no snapping/popping.  If you can get it on sale at Lowes, I highly recommend it.  

I did a brisket with this lump on my large BGE and it was great.  I have zero complaints on the product.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I prefer hand-forged lump.
    NOLA
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    brentm said:
    It's the best lump I've purchased from a big box retailer yet.  It's all the same size, no rocks, no fuel odor from the factory, no snapping/popping.  If you can get it on sale at Lowes, I highly recommend it.  

I did a brisket with this lump on my large BGE and it was great.  I have zero complaints on the product.
    Pics? 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2016
    Options

I've been waiting for this.  For years I've been buying Rockwood and discarding most of each bag. I've been just using the middle cut pieces. 

Phoenix 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Saw similar product (perhaps from same source) at GWN HD recently, heavy markdown probably means it's not moving. Inspected a couple of pieces from an opened bag, they seem very light and well carbonised.  Still not convinced it's worth the reduced price, however I may buy some if they still don't move and turn into a 'fire' sale, haha! btw, they dropped price of Brinkmann egg clone in the background from $699 to $350 CAD.

canuckland
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've tried the Black Diamond:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1195431/black-diamond-charcoal-i-bought-it-so-you-dont-have-to/p1

It lit easy, burned clean and hot, very little smoke flavor, very little ash.  Was it "Reusable up to 5 times" with "Number of grillings up to 14" per bag as stated on the bag?  Not even close! Maybe if you were using a Mini-mini.  In my Large Egg, an entire bag filled the firebox up to the bottom of the fire ring.  I got 3 cooks out of the bag (Steaks, a pork tenderloin, burgers).  A box gives about the same burn time/reuse as about a 10 pound bag of Wegmans (RO).

Would I buy it again? - it would have to be deeply (50%) discounted.  The biggest advantage is it's clean to transport and takes up little room - worked great having to squeeze it into a packed car for vacation with not enough room for a big bag of lump.  I could achieve that same result taking the box, putting in an empty trash bag, and filling it with Royal Oak, Rockwood, etc. at much less cost.

Options
    caliking said:
    FarmerTom said:
    Jstroke said:

Still a common practice in rural India. Its essentially free, once you've fed the cow/buffalo!

I believe this was previously posted as a Cowboy lump user !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • brentm
    Options
    Saw similar product (perhaps from same source) at GWN HD recently, heavy markdown probably means it's not moving. Inspected a couple of pieces from an opened bag, they seem very light and well carbonised.  Still not convinced it's worth the reduced price, however I may buy some if they still don't move and turn into a 'fire' sale, haha! btw, they dropped price of Brinkmann egg clone in the background from $699 to $350 CAD.

If you get the chance, turn the Black Diamond box over and see where it's made.  Surprisingly, the Char Broil product is made in Russia.  I noticed this yesterday when I inspected the box looking for the weight/volume.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @brentm interesting, I'll look next time.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @brentm confirmed!

No fire sale yet  =)
    canuckland
  • brentm
    Options
    @brentm confirmed!

No fire sale yet  =)
    I'm not sure what lump you use regularly, but if you get a hankering, splurge on a box.  You won't be disappointed.
  • lousubcap
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It would be a cold day in hell before I
    A.)  bought a known Russian product
    B.)  supported Billary (ABC)
    C.)   shopped in Wally World

No connection to the thread but it is approaching a dark and stormy night- One more shot of brown water to achieve LEO.