Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too Soon?

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
As if the mass murder at Pulse in Orlando wasn't enough. Now a toddler is a snack for an alligator. 

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/mb/news/local/florida/child-believed-dead-after-gator-attack-at-disney-resort/244989385

Sad for the little fella that got snagged up. And sorry for his family and all those involved in the rescue/recovery efforts. Disney World, Universal, MGM, Animal Kingdom etc may be fun places but, it is still FL and gators are here. We've had a few in the backyard. 
Now onto the meat of this. No wadding or swimming signs with alligator signs and they let a 2 year old wade out in 2ft of water. Brilliant!
What? Now you think I'm heartless?  I'm not. It hurt me to see these folks are from Elkhorn, NE. A trip they'll never forget. Bless this family. 

And sometimes Gators are good for society. 
http://www.wftv.com/news/local/deputies-alleged-burglar-killed-alligator-while-fl/20235204

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Never too soon in Da' Burg !!....... I guess wading ain't the same as swimmin' :-)
    On the serious side though , I guess having been around them for most of my life has giving me an awareness that others may not have , when it comes to gators.. Sad none the less..
    More meat please !! :-)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tragic story for sure.  I can't imagine being either parent.  That said, the child shouldn't have been within 10 feet of the water.  Very sad.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Father and Lifeguard tried to wrestle the little boy from the gator. Sad for sure. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    I think I read that there were no swimming signs.   But were there signs indicating the presence of alligators?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I agree @Sea2Ski and wasn't throwing stones.  I grew up in Florida so it was common sense for us.  Coming from NE, at Disney...they wouldn't have the necessary insight.  Just tragic.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Just to be 100% explicitly clear, I wasn't targeting you @bgebrent or anyone else. Just posting my thoughts and opinions.  No worries.  You are still "one of my very favorites"....,
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    The whole thing just sucks. I have a kid  a little older than him but I would not have let him in that water, especially if a pool is right around the corner. But I guess I live in Florida so I know the dangers. I still feel bad for the parents even if they were ignorant about Florida alligators. I guess there is some things I don't know about Nebraska but I sure as hell don't need a "watch out for tornadoes sign" if I happen to visit there.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I think I read that there were no swimming signs.   But were there signs indicating the presence of alligators?  
    Yes.  At least I'm pretty sure there were. 

Not that I'm discounting the father's efforts, but this leads to our (as a society) in whole complacency. We have come to have a level of comfort thinking someone else is always watching out for our safety; that we can let our guard down and relax. That there's no crazy deranged people with guns, no alligators, no bears in park, etc. As Blake said, this is Florida. There's alligators in every body of water, and it's YOUR duty to keep yourself, and your family safe. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina RE: alligator sign. Don't believe so. Cue ambulance chasing bloodsucking attorney. 

New catch all signs for FL. 
    BE AWARE OF:  Sharks, Alligators, snakes, fish with and without teeth, bears, cougars, panthers, wild monkeys.....
    Oh and enjoy your vacation here in FL 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    To add: we've had our feet wet in the same lagoon (pond) you just don't think that a place like that is that dangerous. It's not as if your deep in the Everglades. This is Disney ground zero. I'm sorry.  I'm just reeling for this family, and attempting to rationalize. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    One very big similarity with the kid that fell into the gorilla cage last week.
    One very big difference.  

I wonder why.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    From what I've read this may have been a rogue gator that was cruising pond to pond since they normally aren't found in that lagoon/pond. Either way, I'm never going to get into any fresh body of water in Florida where I can't see the bottom. I'd rather just play in the big shark tank that's salty. There is a reason gators watched dinosaurs come and go and are still chillin' in the swamp 250 million years into their existence. Homies don't eff around.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    From what I've heard they've killed 4 already in that pond. I'm surprised they let their kid wade in the water it's nasty.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    This is sad for sure my wife and I were just talking about what we would do if this happened to our 18 month old. Not sure how life could carry on but this really is just a very random incident. I caught gators off my dock growing up on the Indian river and we also swam back there and hydro slided and wake boarded all the time in canals where gators were all about and nobody ever got bit. Certain things make you a prime target for a gator and splashing around along the bank is where the attacks that do happen usually occur. I grew up in Florida and wouldn't have even given it a second though to play in the lake it's something we grew up doing. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    And the kid in the gorilla pit wasn't that long ago, things happen so fast...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Well Disney invaded the back yard of the alligators, not the other way around.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I haven't seen anyone take the alligators side on this one. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I haven't seen anyone take the alligators side on this one. 
    I have nothing against the local SEC college mascot. Nature does not pause for humans to get out of the way. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sad story.  Since about 1 person a year dies from alligator attacks in the US (what's that, 1 in 300 million, it's not exactly something we spend too much time thinking about. And being at a busy Disney Park, probably doesn't help put up your guard.

Now that we've doubled (100% increase in alligator fatalities in 1 day) the perceived risk, I'm really surprised the proposal of culling all alligators hasn't entered the lexicon of primary politics.
    Options
    I will.  You can't blame the alligator - he's doing what he does in the wild.  Hunt.
    Options
    I agree ... That it's too soon. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I skied in that lake for a lot of summers.  There were definitely some gators to the north of that property on the canal where we kept the ski boat by the building where the parade floats are kept. But the sandy beaches at all the hotels were good for swimming at the time. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    The sandy beach, which I assume is man made, sort of invites you to the water. 

Sad deal. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    From local news reports "there were no signs warning of alligators in the water at the Disney Resort and this was the first alligator incident in the resort's 45 year history."
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Just to be 100% explicitly clear, I wasn't targeting you @bgebrent or anyone else. Just posting my thoughts and opinions.  No worries.  You are still "one of my very favorites"....,
    Ya man, didn't feel targeted.  You made me recognize I sounded like I was potentially blaming the parents.  I wasn't so I explained.  I agree with you and @Lit.  Just sad.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    We go to Disney every year.  We see small gators in the ponds all the time.

My wife grew up in the south.  She got mad when I went near the water at night and I'm a full grown adult.

I feel real bad for the parents and the child.  Its a terrible way to learn a lesson.  I will say, never once has any Disney employee mentioned gators.  They try very hard to give the impression of happiest & safest place on earth.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS