Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crabapple Tree Wood?

Is crabapple wood ok to smoke with?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2016
    Is crabapple wood ok to smoke with?
    It's perfectly fine. It is akin to Apple in mildness and taste. Fire it up brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I've used it many times.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    shtgunal3 said:
    I've used it many times.
    I have burned tons of it through the years. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I have one in my yard, but it's too small to get a decent amount of wood from trimmings.  If a storm damages it, I'll be all over it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2016
    I want nothing to do with crab-apple trees. My mom use to get her switches from one of several in our yard where i grew up. Man those hurt....and i unfortunately ran into them frequently.

Please don't let this be a deterrent (which i am sure you want).....just had to get that off my chest. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Only with seafood.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Very good to smoke with. Had an overgrown crabapple in the yard. Went to town trimming it multiple times. Can't kill those things! Anyway, let the wood dry for a few months. Free smoking wood
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I want nothing to do with crab-apple trees. My mom use to get her switches from one of several in our yard where i grew up. Man those hurt....and i unfortunately ran into them frequently.
    Good thing your mom wasn't a pro football player.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Good thing your mom wasn't a pro football player.
    You got that right.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

Please don't let this be a deterrent (which i am sure you want).....just had to get that off my chest. 
    That my friend is a damn funny response! Made Kay and I both laugh. :) Kay says you probably deserved all of those whippings! I'm sure Mom made you a better person because of it. Oh and we are sending you a tree for Christmas! Can you guess what kind? 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock

That my friend is a damn funny response! Made Kay and I both laugh. :) Kay says you probably deserved all of those whippings! I'm sure Mom made you a better person because of it. Oh and we are sending you a tree for Christmas! Can you guess what kind? 
    Jim, you and Ms Kay are just way to good to me. I'll start hanging out by the mailbox in Mid to late December.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

I had the same experience but I had to go get the switch that eventually would blister my backside.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.