Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Options

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Most excellent SGH.  Looking forward to following your cook afterward so i can perfect my technique for the throwdown the week after mem day.

• Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm in
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • ReverePlaceGrillin
    Options
    Just bought mine this morning. 16lbs for $1.99/lb so I couldn't pass it up. It'll be my first brisket. Going with Texas style, just s&p and post oak for the smoke. Still deciding on wrap or not. Can't wait though!
    LBGE 
    Dallas, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just got off the CC. Home for the Holidays!
    Heading to the cellar to get the brisket out to thaw right now.
    I am officially in the Memorial Day Brisket Cook. 
    This is an excellent idea. Looking forward to cooking, communicating and learning with the best and from the best!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I want in.  Yesterday our Costo was over $4 per pound on prime packers so I passed.  Maybe i need to go back and get one anyway.  Costco spoils us sometimes.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Im definitely in! First brisket cook!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• westernbbq
    Options
    I will be applying the salt dry rub to the prime packer either tonite after work or tomorrow.    I am thinking fri nite to sat early evening cook should work well....
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    If i can get my hands on a brisket and the time to do it i will post. Have only done 1 but in the oven so it will be the first on an egg.
    Austin, Tx
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    My sister and brother in law are coming into town this weekend and she was wanting me to do chicken, but I was thinking I hadn't done a brisket in a while.  I may be doing both, now that this has come out.

So are we calling this a throw down?  It has been a while since we have had one.  This could be fun.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    With all the brisket talk here, I have an idea: Anyone doing a brisket over Memorial Day weekend should fully document with photos, the process.  This includes the purchase, where, cost, etc, the prep, dry rub, inject, trimming, etc, and the actual egging of it.  Time, temp, drip pan, guru or not, tip top temp, fat side up or down or any other equipment or techniques employed, whether a tfc is used, the type of charcoal and smoking  wood used, and of course the finished product.  
    This isnt a contest as much as an exchange of ideas dedicated to one tasty cut of meat the BGE has enlightened so many of us to make.

A few have been doing this all along but on this thread it would be kinda cool to see how many eggers will make a brisket next weekend and post their entire process start to finish.  Hell i know a guy who owns a ranch and if i can get the beef on time ill go talk to the steer....  Nah ill just go to Costco.

Anyone needing to order has plenty of time to get a brisket before next weekend and prep it.    

Who's in?
    I take it you meant FTC (Foil, Towel Cooler).  If not what is tfc?  Just asking.  Everything else sounds great and this mat get a lot of takers.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have two 14 lb. Briskets I am doing this weekend for my sons HS Graduation party, we are expecting 60. My buddy is also smoking two 10 pound boneless Boston Butts for the party. I will document both brisket cooks so I guess I am in!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    10 Lb angus from from RD . I'm going for a Saturday prep and a Sunday night cook. Thinking about flat slices and burnt ends :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Well, I'm officially in. Brother Tex is shipping me a 33 pounder!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    OMG!!! 33 lbs is NOT a brisket. That's closer to a side of beef.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• westernbbq
    Options
    That is a huge hunk o meat there Brothaman! Holy herd Batman!
  • westernbbq
    Options
    With all the brisket talk here, I have an idea: Anyone doing a brisket over Memorial Day weekend should fully document with photos, the process.  This includes the purchase, where, cost, etc, the prep, dry rub, inject, trimming, etc, and the actual egging of it.  Time, temp, drip pan, guru or not, tip top temp, fat side up or down or any other equipment or techniques employed, whether a tfc is used, the type of charcoal and smoking  wood used, and of course the finished product.  
    This isnt a contest as much as an exchange of ideas dedicated to one tasty cut of meat the BGE has enlightened so many of us to make.

A few have been doing this all along but on this thread it would be kinda cool to see how many eggers will make a brisket next weekend and post their entire process start to finish.  Hell i know a guy who owns a ranch and if i can get the beef on time ill go talk to the steer....  Nah ill just go to Costco.

Anyone needing to order has plenty of time to get a brisket before next weekend and prep it.    

Who's in?
    I take it you meant FTC (Foil, Towel Cooler).  If not what is tfc?  Just asking.  Everything else sounds great and this mat get a lot of takers.
    Thats probably what ftc stands for.   I sound like an idiot here (wouldnt be the first time) but i thought it meant Foiled Texas Crutch.   Either way, same end game is what anyune using this technique is after....

I do wrap mine, and i pour the pan drippings all over the brisket before sealing it up
  • HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    Brisket has been ordered, i'm in for the challenge.  Mine will be done for Monday.
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    SGH said:

That was one HUGE COW!.  I take it you are going turbo on this to get it done @SGH?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I would jump in as well, but already have a fridge full of plate ribs I am doing on Memorial Day.  Given the commonality between plate ribs and brisket in technique and texture, I am posting it anyway.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    I just was asked to cook a brisket for my in-laws this weekend, so I'm in!
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    SGH said:

I think that is a buffalo brisket.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @westernbbq, do we have to do a full brisket our can also just do a point?  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    any brisket cut is fine,   in fact id love to see a variety of brisket types done and compare temps and cook times. 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    any brisket cut is fine,   in fact id love to see a variety of brisket types done and compare temps and cook times. 
    Cool.  I am going to get an 8 to 10 pound point for burnt ends maybe.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2016
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    SGH said:

I think that is a buffalo brisket.
    I can envision Wilma in the kitchen preparing that for Fred w/Dino begging.

Guess I'll have to check out the local meat mkts. see if they have any small briskets, not the easiest cut to find in central CA.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We are planing the following

- 13-15 lber depending on what RD has in stock
    - Trimming the fat
    - Rubbed with mix of DP Cow Lick and Jakes Coffee eRub
    - Rockwook Lump - Mixed with Oak and Hickory chunks 
    - on the egg fat side down
    - Egg set for 250-280 (depending where it wants to be happy)
    - let is ride until done - Guessing 11-14 hours.
    - FTC for 4 hours as we are bringing it to a party.

Garnerville, NY
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I posted my point cook under a separate thread since I did it on Victoria Day and not US Memorial Day and tried to document all the things I did as well as I could and it's gonna be a long, long thread if everyone writes everything down that is being asked for. Good luck. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    gmac said:
    I posted my point cook under a separate thread since I did it on Victoria Day and not US Memorial Day and tried to document all the things I did as well as I could and it's gonna be a long, long thread if everyone writes everything down that is being asked for. Good luck. 
    I figured that i would fill out the trout sheet and take a pic of it to post , just to save time and space...for pics :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I think a new thread for the cook details would be a great idea.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    In for my first brisket  :)
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE