Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time doing a Brisket and first time using a Flame Boss 200 Help Please -have a large green egg

dh7
dh7 Posts: 42
I am a new green egger; have done chicken and ribs on my egg but I've never done a Texas Brisket (former Texan and can wait no longer for that brisket).   I bought a 10 lb Choice Flat Brisket from Cosco (they only had flat) and am going to use my Flame Boss 200 for the first time.  We've invited the kids/families over for my first brisket and a little nervous.  Any step by step instructions/ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Large Green Egg
Alfresco Gas Grill
Land O Lakes, Fl

Comments

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    I had the same issue at my local grocery and only got a flat. I'm gonna try the brisket flat recipe listed on the BGE website that Dr. BBQ does. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Good luck... Wish I could help. Flats are a tough cook. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I originally was intimidated by whole packers and only started with flats.   My first one was awfully awful.  My next was marginally acceptable.   Then i began to get the hang of it.

You will do fine, but i always go 210 in the dome, drip pan and 1.5 hr per lb?  If you have trouble getting meat temp to around 200, it is not a bad idea to crank heat up to 250-275.   I dont know how this precisely affects cooking time but if you have probe thermo that can be left in and monitor meat temp externally, thats always a good thing

Honestly on a bge, low and slow brisket is difficult to screw up

My first ever brisket attempts were bad, but they werent on a bge!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I have hosed up many a flat cook but occasionally have hit a few triples and home-runs.  The key is to foil (or in this era, butcher paper the cook) once you clear the stall somewhere in the high 160's-170's with some beef broth.  That process will put a hurt on your bark but likely get you a moist end-product.  Then go til the beef probes like buttah.  I figure around 1.5 hrs/lb with around 260-280*F on the dome.  
    But the "probes like buttah feel is the finish-line indicator independent of any time or temperature deals.  Good luck as a brisket flat is still a banquet.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I am NOT a brisket expert, have never even seen a packer in my area stores, have only cooked a few flats.  So take this with as many grains of salt as you like...

But I like brisket smokey, and I feel like I get much better smoke in the BGE at 250° or above, and I've heard others say so as well.  Obviously, not everyone agrees, and your mileage may vary, as they say, but I think that the best practice for one type of smoker might be different than the best practice for a different one.  I'm very willing to believe that 225°, 200°, even lower might be great on a stick burner, but I'm convinced those temperatures just don't work as well (for smoke flavor, I mean) on the Egg.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I see you aren't getting a lot of help here. Maybe I can help (and I want to). 

My boss always says: "a question well asked is a question half answered"

I love to help new guys with brisket. It's one of my favorite things to do on here. That being said, you can't just show up and say "I bought a brisket and my family is coming over so tell me everything".

I'm all in to help but you need to do some research, read some articles, come with some questions and i and I'm sure several others will be glad to help. Like even show up at your house or stay up all night online and help (yes I have done both and I know others have too). 

If The he brisket is for this weekend, I suggest you order some steaks or something you already do well and do that instead. I will be happy to help you with all your briskets but you have to be a partner in the process. If you are in, then I am in. 

^^^^Listen to this guy. He will end up spending all your money, but you will learn how to cook all kinds of stuff, brisket included.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'd be all in to help as well like CenTex said, however I was not aware of this current event until now and have a bunch of furniture being delivered tomorrow. Therefore, I can only complete the couple of light beers that I have and not the bottle of bourbon it takes to properly cook a brisket, flat or packer. 

That being said, don't hesitate to ask for help. We might bite a little but most of us are pretty decent people....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Should have started reading last year....everybody has there own methods. And they all work...

Far from a brisket pro. Have only done a couple on the Egg. From everything I have read cooking a flat is far more tricky than a packer. Hardest part for me is that whole probe tender thing. Some folks say it should feel like a warm knife going into a tub of room temperature County Crock. Others say a knife going into a jar of peanut butter...quite a difference in my opion.

Good luck...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @Scottborasjr -  you do know that "Life is too short for lite/light beer."  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dh7

I love to help new guys with brisket. It's one of my favorite things to do on here. That being said, you can't just show up and say "I bought a brisket and my family is coming over so tell me everything".

I'm all in to help but you need to do some research, read some articles, come with some questions and i and I'm sure several others will be glad to help. Like even show up at your house or stay up all night online and help (yes I have done both and I know others have too). 

If the brisket is for this weekend, I suggest you order some steaks or something you already do well and do that instead. I will be happy to help you with all your briskets but you have to be a partner in the process. If you are in, then I am in. 

I have spent months reading numerous recipes including on the green egg forum about brisket even before getting my egg.  With that being said you are right, you need to know what I already know and what my questions are- you can’t read minds.  FYI- the brisket is not for this weekend but the Monday of Memorial weekend.  It seems the majority of the recipes I’ve read are not for a flat.  I've gone over Dr BBQ video on a flat and he suggested a flat being a good starting point and since that is all Cosco had I bought it.  The video was good but it seemed to me he was not using a thermometer, it was more by feel and look which I don't feel confident in.  OK here are my thoughts:
    1) Coat with mustard and use only salt and pepper for the rub Qu- any reason to do this overnight or just prior to -like to 1 hr prior/Do I heavily coat with salt and pepper?/ Should I inject brisket with beef broth to keep it moist since it is a flat just prior to putting on grill-  2) Use big chunks of coal on the bottom and a few on top; add oak chunks- some in the middle and some on top-do you soak theseQu- are some coal chunks too big to use- I have some really large ones in bag?  3)  Allow 1 hour for setting up egg- ie:  getting the clear smoke – Qu- Do I add the Flameboss at this time OR let egg get to temperature and after the clear smoke? Keep temperature at 225?  3)  Put brisket fat side down and keep on grill until internal temp is around 150 remove from grill, wrap in heavy foil, add ½ to ¾ cup of coffee and put back on grill until internal temp is 200 or 205??  Take off grill and keep wrapped (add any liquid at that time?) in foil, wrap in towel and let it rest in a cooler for 1 to 4 hours.    Total cook should take about 12 to 14 hours from beginning to end 4) Cut across the grain.  Did I miss anything?  Add delete.  Thank you for your help!

Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    I do nothing but choice flats .Buy at BJ's they don't sell packers . I use an Auber control basically same as Flameboss w/o bells and whistles . Get fire close to temp and then install controller .Top vent should be cracked open only about the thickness of a dime . Do Not have controller bring egg up to temp! I always start at around 225 on the dome but always find myself increasing temp to 275 about 2/3 through cook due to impatience ,kind of a ritual .Fat side up /fat side down is a matter of personnel preference ,I prefer fat up .It seems like no matter what size brisket you are cooking you are always looking at least 8-9 hours and more .Remember no matter what time your cook gets done you can always wrap it and stick it in a cooler .Rub is similar to what you would use on any grilled beef . The stall is what gets most people and I have found my stalls have always been around 150 internal . Always remember you can use the Texas crutch and wrap it if time is becoming a factor . Good luck common sense is all you need and patience . 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think your plan sounds fine.  When using a controller I like to wait a little while for the egg to get stable before I hook it up, otherwise it will overshoot initially (at least mine does).  So get the egg somewhere close to your target temp and hook it up.  Make sure the flame boss thermometer is over the plate setter.  

Just my $.02 but I wouldn't inject it and use coffee.  I just think that might be overdoing the liquid. 

It sounds like you are leaning towards this recipe...
    http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/dr-bbq-coffee-brisket/

...so I would just follow this.  Smoke until 160, wrap with foil/coffee.  Cook it to about 200.  The only thing I would suggest is instead of cooking it to 200 start checking it around 190-195 for tenderness.  Once it probes like butter take it off.   Once it is done I would unwrap it and let it rest a bit.  It is easy to overshoot the finish if you leave it wrapped in foil.  If needed you can FTC it but unwrap it and let it cool a bit first.  Good luck! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    One other suggestion...It is never a bad idea to do a test run. It may be a little late now but usually could try it today.  Leftover brisket makes awesome chili. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    I just cooked my second brisket and followed the DR. BBQ cooking method. Turned out great except the brisket had a lot of fat in it, most of it was inedible. I bought it at a local butcher shop so was pretty disappointed considering what I paid for it. It looked great but the inside was very fatty. But, what was edible was great. First time using the coffee and I think I'll try it again on my next brisket. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • one more note on the rub overnight or right before- Theoretically if you did it overnight it should dry brine the meat, which is a good thing. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attn when I did it but I just didn't notice a difference. Don't think it would hurt but I never plan that far ahead. Drink a beer, rub it up, and throw it on the egg (in that order).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dh7
    dh7 said:

If the brisket is for this weekend, I suggest you order some steaks or something you already do well and do that instead. I will be happy to help you with all your briskets but you have to be a partner in the process. If you are in, then I am in. 

I have spent months reading numerous recipes including on the green egg forum about brisket even before getting my egg.  With that being said you are right, you need to know what I already know and what my questions are- you can’t read minds.  FYI- the brisket is not for this weekend but the Monday of Memorial weekend.  It seems the majority of the recipes I’ve read are not for a flat.  I've gone over Dr BBQ video on a flat and he suggested a flat being a good starting point and since that is all Cosco had I bought it.  The video was good but it seemed to me he was not using a thermometer, it was more by feel and look which I don't feel confident in.  OK here are my thoughts:
    1) Coat with mustard and use only salt and pepper for the rub Qu- any reason to do this overnight or just prior to -like to 1 hr prior/Do I heavily coat with salt and pepper?/ Should I inject brisket with beef broth to keep it moist since it is a flat just prior to putting on grill-  2) Use big chunks of coal on the bottom and a few on top; add oak chunks- some in the middle and some on top-do you soak theseQu- are some coal chunks too big to use- I have some really large ones in bag?  3)  Allow 1 hour for setting up egg- ie:  getting the clear smoke – Qu- Do I add the Flameboss at this time OR let egg get to temperature and after the clear smoke? Keep temperature at 225?  3)  Put brisket fat side down and keep on grill until internal temp is around 150 remove from grill, wrap in heavy foil, add ½ to ¾ cup of coffee and put back on grill until internal temp is 200 or 205??  Take off grill and keep wrapped (add any liquid at that time?) in foil, wrap in towel and let it rest in a cooler for 1 to 4 hours.    Total cook should take about 12 to 14 hours from beginning to end 4) Cut across the grain.  Did I miss anything?  Add delete.  Thank you for your help!

There we go. That helps. 

I have not seen the Dr. BBQ video but he's obviously got some skills. I usually recommend the BBQ with Franklin series on Youtube- even though he cooks on an offset which is quite a bit different than a BGE

On the rub- I do it right before. I've done it over night and I have not noticed any difference. Don't think it matters either way

I use a heavy coat of

6 parts course black pepper
    3 parts Kosher
    3 parts Lawry's seasoned salt
    2 parts granulated garlic

This is the rub that La BBQ in Austin uses and I'm pretty sure is or at least was the rub Franklin BBQ uses. Either way- it's basically salt and pepper but a little more. It makes a difference

I never inject. Ever

Mustard- you can use it but you don't need to. I go back and forth- makes no difference whatsoever in the finished product. There is normally plenty of moisture on the brisket to hold the rub but if yours sits out a while and is a little dry, go ahead and hit it with some mustard or any other liquid you want to get the rub to stick.

Fire- no need to get too particular on what sizes of lump go where. I literally dump it out of the bag and light it. If some pcs of lump are too big then just hit them with a hammer or your ash tool. No need to soak wood (chips or chunks). 4-5 med sized chunks of oak would be great. I have moved to oak chips mixed throughout the lump. I prefer that over a smoldering large chunk. If you use chunks, use more of the smaller ones rather than one big one.

setting up the egg- You may never get clear smoke on a BGE but you will get close. Thin, wispy, very light white smoke is ok for our purposes. You won't get the blue smoke you would in an offset just by the nature of the fuel and the small smoldering fire that comes with cooking on a BGE. I like to light the fire in the middle, allow the glowing lump to be about the size of a softball with the dome open. Then add your platesetter or whatever you use for indirect cooking, close the dome and turn on your flame boss. Let the flame boss take it up to temp. Do not close the dome without having the flameboss in the lower vent and your top vents almost all the way closed. You don't want to heat up the ceramics too much or you will overshoot. Not really a huge deal on a long cook but better to do it right from the start. FWIW- I prefer to cook at 250-260 but 225 is OK if that is what you want to do

Fat side up/down does not matter. I'm always up because that is how I learned. I've done both and it makes no difference.

I rarely wrap during the cook but might not be a bad idea for a flat. Don't wrap at a specific temp but wrap when your bark gets very dark and has set up nicely. This is most likely going to be higher than 150. If you like TX Brisket, you are going to want the bark to really set up before wrapping. As far as adding liquid- I've never done it so can't help you there. give it a rip and see how you like it. It will significantly soften your bark (why I never do it). I think the guys that add liquid are not going for the authentic TX Brisket. Not saying they aren't great, they just aren't the way I like them.

Once you wrap it, it will get done very quickly so keep an eye on it. Depending on the grade of the brisket it will be done somewhere between 190 and 203-ish. Maybe a little higher if it is select. What you want to do here is start probing it around 190 or so for tenderness in the thickest part of your flat and check it every 5 degrees or so. It will give up the ghost and get tender somewhere in here. If you hit 205 and it's not tender, pull it anyway and set it in a cooler for a while. This will normally settle it down some. I think @sgh would tell you to go even higher if it is a select brisket but I've never had luck over 205. I can't recall the last select brisket I've cooked though so I'm not much help there.

Once it's done, set it aside and watch the temp.  When it drops a few degrees, then you can put it in a cooler to rest for a bit. I like 2 hrs minimum but if you are going to eat soon, just let it cool on the counter until it's around 140 before slicing- this makes a huge difference in the finished product. Never slice a 200 degree brisket;  it should be easy to handle with your bare hands when you slice it. Anything else is too hot and will result in dry brisket and crappy texture. 

you don't need towels in the cooler if you are only holding an hour or 2. If you do wrap in towels it's even more critical to make sure your internal temp is not still rising. You can overshoot here and have an overdone, falling apart brisket (still good for sandwiches and chopped beef but bad for slicing). And you are correct on slicing across the grain. This is easy on a flat as it clearly runs one direction the entire way through.

Let me know if you need anything else. I'll be around next weekend to so if you run in to something you aren't comfortable with, hit me up. You can call or text if you prefer 512-565-0109

Good luck- no reason it shouldn't be a home run. I don't do a lot of flats because I don't have to but I have done some good ones when it was all I could find. 

Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • dh7
    You are awesome!!  Thank you so much for not just blowing me off because of my lack of information :-).  I feel more confident now and will try your rub.   I am going to follow your instructions to a T except for maybe adding the coffee when foiling; being a flat I rather my first cook be moist over the Texas bark and dry....will try no liquid at a later date-  Will let you know how it turns out. Ordered Rudy's BBQ sauce to serve with it.  I always try to go to a BBQ place when visiting my daughter and family in Austin.  Hopefully soon I can make it as good or close to....    
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • Cool deal. Let me know if you have any other questions or need help during the cook. 

On on the rub, I use 1oz as the parts. It makes 2/3 of a large rub container full. I use it on everything. Brisket, chicken ribs,steaks, burgers. It's a great go-to simple rub that works well on everything. I don't use it on butts (I use Oakridge beef and pork-that stuff is awesome). 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    This could be one of the best posts ever, kudos to @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Your time and generosity speak volumes for this forum...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    My apologies for being late on the draw here brother. Due to working very long hours I haven't been on the forum very much lately. Looks like others have you covered though. I assure you that I did not see this post unti now or I would have drawn first blood. Work had had me really messed up as of late. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:
    My apologies for being late on the draw here brother. Due to working very long hours I haven't been on the forum very much lately. Looks like others have you covered though. I assure you that I did not see this post unti now or I would have drawn first blood. Work had had me really messed up as of late. 
    I knew you were out so I thought I would take a stab at it :wink:

you may have more experience with flats than me (I never Cook them). If I missed anything please chime in. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    SGH said:
    I knew you were out so I thought I would take a stab at it :wink:

you may have more experience with flats than me (I never Cook them). If I missed anything please chime in. 
    Brother Tex, I agree with your advice above my friend. I have yet to see you give unsound advice. Always spot on in my book. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    SGH said:
    @SGH you really need to get your priorities straight!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Troykahack
    Troykahack Posts: 38
    dh7 said:

There we go. That helps. 

I have not seen the Dr. BBQ video but he's obviously got some skills. I usually recommend the BBQ with Franklin series on Youtube- even though he cooks on an offset which is quite a bit different than a BGE

On the rub- I do it right before. I've done it over night and I have not noticed any difference. Don't think it matters either way

I use a heavy coat of

3 parts Kosher

This is the rub that La BBQ in Austin uses and I'm pretty sure is or at least was the rub Franklin BBQ uses. Either way- it's basically salt and pepper but a little more. It makes a difference

I never inject. Ever

Mustard- you can use it but you don't need to. I go back and forth- makes no difference whatsoever in the finished product. There is normally plenty of moisture on the brisket to hold the rub but if yours sits out a while and is a little dry, go ahead and hit it with some mustard or any other liquid you want to get the rub to stick.

Fire- no need to get too particular on what sizes of lump go where. I literally dump it out of the bag and light it. If some pcs of lump are too big then just hit them with a hammer or your ash tool. No need to soak wood (chips or chunks). 4-5 med sized chunks of oak would be great. I have moved to oak chips mixed throughout the lump. I prefer that over a smoldering large chunk. If you use chunks, use more of the smaller ones rather than one big one.

setting up the egg- You may never get clear smoke on a BGE but you will get close. Thin, wispy, very light white smoke is ok for our purposes. You won't get the blue smoke you would in an offset just by the nature of the fuel and the small smoldering fire that comes with cooking on a BGE. I like to light the fire in the middle, allow the glowing lump to be about the size of a softball with the dome open. Then add your platesetter or whatever you use for indirect cooking, close the dome and turn on your flame boss. Let the flame boss take it up to temp. Do not close the dome without having the flameboss in the lower vent and your top vents almost all the way closed. You don't want to heat up the ceramics too much or you will overshoot. Not really a huge deal on a long cook but better to do it right from the start. FWIW- I prefer to cook at 250-260 but 225 is OK if that is what you want to do

Fat side up/down does not matter. I'm always up because that is how I learned. I've done both and it makes no difference.

I rarely wrap during the cook but might not be a bad idea for a flat. Don't wrap at a specific temp but wrap when your bark gets very dark and has set up nicely. This is most likely going to be higher than 150. If you like TX Brisket, you are going to want the bark to really set up before wrapping. As far as adding liquid- I've never done it so can't help you there. give it a rip and see how you like it. It will significantly soften your bark (why I never do it). I think the guys that add liquid are not going for the authentic TX Brisket. Not saying they aren't great, they just aren't the way I like them.

Once you wrap it, it will get done very quickly so keep an eye on it. Depending on the grade of the brisket it will be done somewhere between 190 and 203-ish. Maybe a little higher if it is select. What you want to do here is start probing it around 190 or so for tenderness in the thickest part of your flat and check it every 5 degrees or so. It will give up the ghost and get tender somewhere in here. If you hit 205 and it's not tender, pull it anyway and set it in a cooler for a while. This will normally settle it down some. I think @sgh would tell you to go even higher if it is a select brisket but I've never had luck over 205. I can't recall the last select brisket I've cooked though so I'm not much help there.

Once it's done, set it aside and watch the temp.  When it drops a few degrees, then you can put it in a cooler to rest for a bit. I like 2 hrs minimum but if you are going to eat soon, just let it cool on the counter until it's around 140 before slicing- this makes a huge difference in the finished product. Never slice a 200 degree brisket;  it should be easy to handle with your bare hands when you slice it. Anything else is too hot and will result in dry brisket and crappy texture. 

you don't need towels in the cooler if you are only holding an hour or 2. If you do wrap in towels it's even more critical to make sure your internal temp is not still rising. You can overshoot here and have an overdone, falling apart brisket (still good for sandwiches and chopped beef but bad for slicing). And you are correct on slicing across the grain. This is easy on a flat as it clearly runs one direction the entire way through.

Let me know if you need anything else. I'll be around next weekend to so if you run in to something you aren't comfortable with, hit me up. You can call or text if you prefer 512-565-0109

Good luck- no reason it shouldn't be a home run. I don't do a lot of flats because I don't have to but I have done some good ones when it was all I could find. 

AWESOME write up Cen Tex Smoker.  I am a newbie here too and I just saved you cook instructions into my BGE Folder called FAVORITES..

I too, have been reading for some time prior to my jump to buy the BGE.  I had a friend who was active on FACEBOOK regarding his cooks and I loved his posts so much I inquired as to the BGE.  He told me to read this forum and read some more.  I did, was very helpful but some things might seem obvious to some and not so to others.  That friend was DOC_EGGERTON,

Thank you again...

LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • dh7 said:

There we go. That helps. 

I use a heavy coat of

3 parts Kosher

I never inject. Ever

AWESOME write up Cen Tex Smoker.  I am a newbie here too and I just saved you cook instructions into my BGE Folder called FAVORITES..

I too, have been reading for some time prior to my jump to buy the BGE.  I had a friend who was active on FACEBOOK regarding his cooks and I loved his posts so much I inquired as to the BGE.  He told me to read this forum and read some more.  I did, was very helpful but some things might seem obvious to some and not so to others.  That friend was DOC_EGGERTON,

Thank you again...

Doc is a resident badass around here. One of the greats. Glad you are here and let us know if we can ever help. You have a built in resource with doc though. Not sure I could ever tell you anything he couldn't. I probably cook more briskets than him but if you ever want teriyaki turkey thighs or peri-peri anything, he's your man :smiley:

Plus he plays a mean concertina.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Hmm... I'm devastated by this recipe.

You have good advice from @The Cen-Tex Smoker .. but I've got it beat.  Here is the real deal for a flat - 

Put the flat in an 5" deep aluminum pan, and mix with with a two quart bottle of grape juice and a 'king size' sour skittles pack.  Cook indirect at 300 until the juice reduces by half.  Then pour in some limeade and cover for another hour.   Add jelly beans before serving. Presto!  :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Hmm... I'm devastated by this recipe.

You have good advice from @The Cen-Tex Smoker .. but I've got it beat.  Here is the real deal for a flat - 

Put the flat in an 5" deep aluminum pan, and mix with with a two quart bottle of grape juice and a 'king size' sour skittles pack.  Cook indirect at 300 until the juice reduces by half.  Then pour in some limeade and cover for another hour.   Add jelly beans before serving. Presto!  :)

we call that the "Willy Wonka" or "The Alice In Wonderland" (depending on where you are from)

• dh7
    Cool deal. Let me know if you have any other questions or need help during the cook. 

On on the rub, I use 1oz as the parts. It makes 2/3 of a large rub container full. I use it on everything. Brisket, chicken ribs,steaks, burgers. It's a great go-to simple rub that works well on everything. I don't use it on butts (I use Oakridge beef and pork-that stuff is awesome). 
    Should I allow 1-1/2 Hours per pound for a choice flat?  If I want to eat around 6pm I would need to start heating up egg around 3am?    
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl