Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RetroPie - Anybody using it?

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
I am getting ready to configure a Raspberry PI 3B with RetroPie 3.7, a wireless keyboard and a NES30 Bluetooh controller (8bitdo).

Any piece of advice before I start?

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited May 2016
    I've done those indirect at about 400. Came out kinda chewy, so I'm interested in what others have to say. ;)
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    High tech is not the topic d'jour. Sorry no help here, but in your honour (with a u) we are having some grilled Romaine and later fries with Schwartz's.....take care!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    I thought retro pie was gonna be a beaver ca1970
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I thought retro pie was gonna be a beaver ca1970
    That depends on your age. I was thinking 1990.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    There was no beaver in 1990

Pelts are pre 1989
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i've always wanted to try raspberry pi to learn some linux.  that should be a fun project!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • paqman
    No love for the Pi?  I'm having a hard time with the Bluetooth...

I thought you were talking about 3.14285714 from the 70's, man.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

for arduino stuff, I've had good support for things I've gotten through sparkfun and adafruit from their respective sites, and also on various hobbyist boards - they might be a good place to start.  wiseacres around here will recommend cooking your pi indirect over rockwood for neutral baking; ron will tell you 314 is the best temp ;)

good luck, and i'll be interested to see it up and running

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited May 2016
    i built a retro pie.  the instructions will steer you good until you have to make the controllers work.  i just used usb nes controllers i picked up on ebay.  playing mario and donkey kong on the 65" tv is a blast.
  • paqman
    @tonyled I managed to make the 8bitdo NES30 Bluetooth controller work after a few days of playing around.  I noticed that the controllers were incorrectly reporting keyboard and mouse handlers. Someone posted it on the 8bitdo forums; a firmware update is now available since yesterday.  It works perfectly fine now except for the fact that I need to re-bind the controls on every reboot.  I just need to figure out which config file to update to make it permanent.

Get Mike Tyson's Punch out!   =) 

It was really easy to set up RetroPie.  When you're ready to transfer games, make sure RetroPie is launched and you can drag and drop games.  Look for RetroPie in Network Discovery.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • paqman
    tonyled said:
    Thanks @tonyled it worked!  

I wonder what's the purpose of the config files in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads ...

cazzy said:
    Get Mike Tyson's Punch out!   =) 

It was really easy to set up RetroPie.  When you're ready to transfer games, make sure RetroPie is launched and you can drag and drop games.  Look for RetroPie in Network Discovery.  

@cazzy I already have it.  I had no problems getting the roms on the Raspberry Pi, it's the damn Bluetooth controller that gave me a hard time... I should mention that the solution was a Beta version firmware (2.68) hidden in a forum thread of the 8bitdo forum

@cazzy Nice case!  I've seen one like this but it was rainbow...

paqman said:
    tonyled said:
    Thanks @tonyled it worked!  

I wonder what's the purpose of the config files in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads ...

i believe they are the same.  i looked it up and i am still running the older version which stores it in retroarch config.  it looks like the newer version uses the retroarch-joypads setup.  probly just a refer to the config file so luckily it worked for  you
  • tonyled
    i have this case but its a pita to plug in the ac adapter

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I built one of those.  Great little retro gaming box.  I used the usb SNES and NES repro controllers though.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • tonyled
    thats the same controller im using.  the dog chewed through one of the cords though lol