Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, my BGE adventure is off to a terrible start

Options

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Agh, very good--we are starting to come about on a new tack
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    When you buy a new vehicle, do you check all of the bolts? If the wheel falls off because the lug nuts were loose, it's covered. 
    You won't have to pay anything, it may take some time and persistence from you, but just explain to them how unhappy you are and the rest of us that have posted. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    If you can get the pieces down to Roswell, the guys at Roswell HW will take care of you. I'm in Stockbridge and I drive to Sandy Springs for my office clinic. I'll make the additional 10 mile trek up there for any needs. 

Or give John @egret a call at Hiawassee Hardware if that's closer. Top notch guy who throws a great shindig. 
    Your commute sucks. Just sayin.

Trust me, I know!  Building an office on my side of town now.  Planning to have myself a little patio outside for lunch time where I can put a MiniMax from time to time.......

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sounds like its being handled. Perhaps now we should back off for a bit?

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ya.  John is on it and this will end well for the OP.  Shouldn't have required the intervention however.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Yeah sucks we have to flex our muscles around here.  =)

Little Rock, AR

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Options
    Hopefully the solution is for the mothership to ship a new dome to the dealer closest to the customer, and that dealer could take a dome off one of their new larges for the customer to come pick up immediately and install--so he can be cooking by this weekend  (unless he wants to wait for the new dome to arrive at the dealer--his call)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Better dealers will have a large dome or two in their inventory. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    No one can get away with shid anymore without this new fangled social media crap gettin in the way  :D

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• johnl350
    johnl350 Posts: 125
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Ok, I need to ask, what is that cooking on the grill?
    @THEBuckeye I have to ask the same. Are you smoking sticks?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    johnl350 said:
    EggNorth said:
    looks like some kind a Santaria ritual.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    johnl350 said:
    EggNorth said:
    Yep, sticks. Pimento wood for that jerk chicken. My guess anyway. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    Options
    @Staygold, any follow up?
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    How many Eggs were assembled for the Fest? Perhaps based on the number needed inexperienced Egg assemblers helped out and simply didn't do it right.
    Think how many new eggers might be out there unaware that their egg was assembled poorly...
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    It would be helpful if everyone would just kind of back off on this. The dealer is very reputable and goes overboard to satisfy a customer......I know this and I'm the one that got this dealership started, so their reputation is quite good; trust me on this! This will be taken care of, the distributor makes the dealer go through the process by the book. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    All this attention.....focuses attention to an area of the egg we need to pay attention to. All I am saying is.....you need to pay attention here.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    egret said:
    It would be helpful if everyone would just kind of back off on this. The dealer is very reputable and goes overboard to satisfy a customer......I know this and I'm the one that got this dealership started, so their reputation is quite good; trust me on this! This will be taken care of, the distributor makes the dealer go through the process by the book. 
    He's right! My first egg came from HH. And their prices are competitive. 

I met John this week no and he seems like a great guy too. My wife and I talked to him about the Eggfest and pickleball. Next year we'll cook with four children helping! He says we will have a blast. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    egret said:
    From the sounds of the OP not everyone at the Hardware store got the memo on going overboard to satisfy a customer.  :|
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    egret said:
    How so??? If the OP contacted them and they just blamed it on him until he started this thread, then it got the ball rolling because so many people are paying attention. If the OP didn't know where to turn he would be stuck with paying them to get a new kid out of pocket. So in my opinion this thread and so many views and comments has got the ball rolling. 

How come the dealer had a change of heart all of a sudden? Well it's due to the customer base and the tight knit community we have here, hushing people isn't going to help anyone's case in the future! 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • yljkt
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    1move said:
    egret said:
    How so??? If the OP contacted them and they just blamed it on him until he started this thread, then it got the ball rolling because so many people are paying attention. If the OP didn't know where to turn he would be stuck with paying them to get a new kid out of pocket. So in my opinion this thread and so many views and comments has got the ball rolling. 

How come the dealer had a change of heart all of a sudden? Well it's due to the customer base and the tight knit community we have here, hushing people isn't going to help anyone's case in the future! 
    It's because I alerted John to this.  He runs the N Ga Eggfest and knows all the operatives.  He's just wanting to make things right and said so much earlier in this post.  Rest assured it'll be ok.  Thinking he means inflaming this further is not useful.  Pretty sure whoever first dealt with the OP is having a bad day.  He also wants to preserve the relationship for future eggfests.  Not hushing, resolving.
    Ok. Moving 60 plus eggs and not giving a guy a dome that fell off seems a little trivial. Guess it will all work out in the wash. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    It will. Good example of employees not getting the importance of customer service.  I know, comes from the top...  In my business sometimes it just doesn't translate like you imagine.  It'll be resolved properly.
  • yljkt
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It will. Good example of employees not getting the importance of customer service.  I know, comes from the top...  In my business sometimes it just doesn't translate like you imagine.  It'll be resolved properly.
    I'm sure it will. Just can't help feeling bad for the OP. But hoping its all good in day or so. 
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I don't know you but, kudos to you!  The world needs more of you.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    egret said:
    I live about an hour south so I am guessing the same distributor. When I emailed my cracked XL base pic to Roswell Hardware I got a response in under 5 minutes that I could pick up my new base. This is an obvious issue here that the OP was told this is their issue since they took the egg home. With all the money HH makes from this event they should have covered it without warranty approval even if they have to write it off in the end. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    bgebrent said:
    I don't know you but, kudos to you!  The world needs more of you.
    Thank you brother!  Once I alerted @egret to the situation, he took over.  The OP is in good hands.  HH might wanna show up...?  Thanks again brother.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Lit said:
    egret said:
    I live about an hour south so I am guessing the same distributor. When I emailed my cracked XL base pic to Roswell Hardware I got a response in under 5 minutes that I could pick up my new base. This is an obvious issue here that the OP was told this is their issue since they took the egg home. With all the money HH makes from this event they should have covered it without warranty approval even if they have to write it off in the end. 
    Just wondering how you know how much money HH made on the fest? In fact do you really have any idea how much any BGE dealer makes on any egg sale? I'm talking about hard facts here, just for arguments sake lets say 10% and in the business world 10% after all expense's involved 10% is a very good profit for any business. So if the end price of a large egg is $800.00 10% is $80.00. So are they really making a killing and walking away from the problem I don't think so, will it take some time to get the customer a replacement dome yes it will but the new free dome will arrive and all will be well. I'm an Electrical Contractor and have for many years lived with people thinking that I'm making a killing just because I charge $125.00 for the first hour service call, I challenge anyone to go get all the insurance, trucks, office space, phone service, maintenance on trucks/tool and equipment, electric for the office, phone service, gas for the trucks, the customers that some times just don't pay! Yes I make money but a killing well not so much. I would be very surprised if they were making 10% in the end after the cost of business. Stay tuned for updates and a happy ending.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    will it take some time to get the customer a replacement dome yes it will but the new free dome will arrive and all will be well.
    Jim you're right on the money I think with the cost of doing business & most people in business for themselves would agree.  Notwithstanding all the past complaints people have lodged (me included) about exercising the warranty, this particular situation is different in that it was clearly an improperly installed dome as opposed to a warranty type defect.  For this dealer to tell this guy "you signed for it so it's your problem" is just bad business.  This isn't a situation where it's "taking time to go through the channels" rather it's a dealer who f'd up & doesn't want to pay for its own mistake; BGE itself shouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing.  Seriously if you upgraded someone's electric service from an old school fuse box to a breaker box but forgot to connect half the breakers would you tell the customer when they called the next day too bad, you signed the work order & paid me?  Would you tell them to call the manufacturer? 
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    will it take some time to get the customer a replacement dome yes it will but the new free dome will arrive and all will be well.
    Jim you're right on the money I think with the cost of doing business & most people in business for themselves would agree.  Notwithstanding all the past complaints people have lodged (me included) about exercising the warranty, this particular situation is different in that it was clearly an improperly installed dome as opposed to a warranty type defect.  For this dealer to tell this guy "you signed for it so it's your problem" is just bad business.  This isn't a situation where it's "taking time to go through the channels" rather it's a dealer who f'd up & doesn't want to pay for its own mistake; BGE itself shouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing.  Seriously if you upgraded someone's electric service from an old school fuse box to a breaker box but forgot to connect half the breakers would you tell the customer when they called the next day too bad, you signed the work order & paid me?  Would you tell them to call the manufacturer? 
    No I would not, I would make sure the job was 100% and done it asap for sure and I agree that HH should have just given him a new dome no questions asked................ but they didn't and all the bitching and complaining will do nothing to help either. You and I know John Hall and I know that it will get taken care of unfortunately not in the manor that you or I would have had we been the dealer.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer