Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Most over rated cut of meat for grilling?

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    SGH said:
    @SGH's pork calamari
    Without question or doubt, imitation calamari does not get the respect that it deserves =)
    Nor will it brother! ;)
    Especially when he never shows up to serve it!
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    SPAM,   definitely, Spam.   
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I can only think of a couple of places where calamari can come from a pig. It would take a lot of old bay seasoning. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Brisket
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    As @Theophan has already mentioned - take chicken breasts and turn them into paillards and use a marinade and they can be fabulous and fast grilling.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    brisket vote here too. As for the most under rated, i find a good sirloin steak tough to beat
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    snails, dont like em, dont hate em.  maybe folks just like to say escargot =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options

I don't mind em, but anything is good floating in butter topped with cheese. If they were 10 times the size I couldn't see cutting into one with a fork and knife and enjoying it
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I can only think of a couple of places where calamari can come from a pig. It would take a lot of old bay seasoning. 

Little Rock, AR

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Boneless chicken breast using Grill Grates ... moist and tender everytime.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    And there it is in all its glory. Now I would try it and almost guaranteed I would like it. But again, it might take a heavy dose of old bay and lemon to confuse me.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Cornish game hens.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist -  and to think the above costs more /lb than Costco prime brisket these days.  Must be some wagyu bung ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    "Wagyu Bung" WBAGNFARB!  (would be a good name for a rock band)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• B727
    B727 Posts: 18
    Options
    Frozen Custard (animal by-products) was always a disappointment for me. Maybe I'll try low & slow the next time...........

• Jstroke
    Options
    The price is reflective of supply/demand piggies have got lots of shoulder and loin and ham. Not very much bung when it's hung
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    OVERRATED?i 

That would easily be a tie. Boneless, skinless, ribmeat-less chicken breasts. If I do 'em gotta have the bones and rib meat/tender attached, and skin on and marinated or rubbed/brined for a bit.

The next would be beef tenderloin/filet.. Everyone loves it but god is it about the least flavorful, boring cut of beef on the cow. It's like a 90/10 or leaner ground beef for burgers.

Give me a skirt, flank, flat iron, tri-tip, or just some solid prime ribeyes to grill for beef.
    I opened the thread to put a beef filet on here.  I wouldnt go as far as to say it is bad, but I think it is overrated and overpriced.  For less money, I would take a rib eye or strip any day of the week.  I think a filet should be priced in between a sirloin and strip.  

Loin Pork Chops - I would rather have a lot of different cuts of pork that are equal in price or cheaper, including steaks cut from a butt.  Loin is just to lean for me.  

I agree on dark meat chicken over breast, but since all chicken is so cheap, I wouldn't consider any of it over rated.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Tried escargot once. Some fancy French restaurant in NYC years ago. The only food I can think of that's worse than oysters. Not many things I won't eat, but there are two of them.

Don't understand all the hate of "normal food" in this thread. Seriously, game hens, breasts, beef tenderloin, pork chops, pork tenderloin, salmon, London broil? Every one of 'em outstanding!! If those foods don't taste good, you're doing it wrong. I had half a game hen on Saturday, the other half last night. Rotisserie'd over lump with maple smoke. Outstanding! Even the leftovers.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Tried escargot once. Some fancy French restaurant in NYC years ago. The only food I can think of that's worse than oysters. Not many things I won't eat, but there are two of them.

Don't understand all the hate of "normal food" in this thread. Seriously, game hens, breasts, beef tenderloin, pork chops, pork tenderloin, salmon, London broil? Every one of 'em outstanding!! If those foods don't taste good, you're doing it wrong. I had half a game hen on Saturday, the other half last night. Rotisserie'd over lump with maple smoke. Outstanding! Even the leftovers.
    Maybe I'm not giving London broil a chance...but to me its a sh!t sandwich without the bread. Can't be bothered with it. After 20 years of cooking it you would think I cooked it right by accident. No such luck. Tough. Dry. Lots of other choices. London Broil off my radar. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options

It amazes me that bung hole sells for $3.99 per pound. Well, at least I know how to put a value on some folks I know...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mithrandir
    Mithrandir Posts: 36
    Options
    Filet mignon. Nothing interesting in that for me.
    Roberval, Qc, Canada
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Maybe I'm not giving London broil a chance...but to me its ... Tough. Dry.
    Where I've lived, they have two different things they often call London Broil: Flank steak and round steak.  If you mean round steak, I don't think I've ever grilled one, so I don't know.  But I've never had dry flank steak.  I always marinate it, usually in a home-made teriyaki sort of thing, and I slice it way diagonally, and I don't think it's very tough, but it's never dry, always juicy.

I'd have thought round steak would be a bit similar, in that to grill it, it'd probably need a lot of marinating, but properly marinated, cooked medium-rare, and sliced fairly thinly, I'd think it'd be good.  Haven't actually done it, though, I admit.

Which one are you talking about?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    when i see london broil here its usually a round roast cut thick with the grain not against like a steak. it quickly toughens up as it passes from rare to med/rare. hard sear, slice thin thin, or make some descent jerky
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yep.  London broil is really a marketing term, not a specific cut.  As such, quality and results will vary from excellent to terrible.  Fortunately it's usually relatively cheap.
    Options
    I've been underwhelmed by those pinwheel steaks. No me gusta.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Yep.  London broil is really a marketing term, not a specific cut.  As such, quality and results will vary from excellent to terrible.  Fortunately it's usually relatively cheap.
    i wish the supermarket here believed that, they never mix in the 12 dollar flank london broil with the 4.99 round london broil =) they just look in the case at the rounds and stick london broil or potroast stickers on the ones running out. sometimes its top round, sometimes its bottom
    fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beef tenderloin
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    "Tough and dry" means overcooked. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Orange Roughy........quite possibly the most boring fish ever!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    definitely hot dogs!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf