Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Most over rated cut of meat for grilling?

Options
13»

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Most over rated is the beef tenderloin. Great piece of meat in regards to tenderness; cooked as a steak it is boring. Years ago I had it in a stroganoff at a nice restaurant and it was more tender than the noodles.

I take it you have never had a great beef tenderloin steak from your post.  Sorry to hear that.   When I cook steaks my wife ask for filet and I get a rib eye.  They both are are very tender when I cook them, but I prefer the rib eye because of the marbling so I kind of understand what you are saying that there the flavor isn't the same.  But using beef tenderloin is a waste to me on beef stroganoff, I usually use sirloin and it is plenty tender for me.  

No the best way to cook a beef tenderloin is whole indirect till it is about 130-135, then let rest for 15 minutes and slice.  Here is one I did a few years ago.  
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167586/first-beef-tenderloin-on-the-egg#latest
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    The most overrated or trouble cook I had was tilapia.  It was just to thin and I over cooked it.  May try again sometime, but with bigger pieces and on planks.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Legume said:
    The most overrated or trouble cook I had was tilapia.  It was just to thin and I over cooked it.  May try again sometime, but with bigger pieces and on planks.
    Just pass on the tilapia.  It's cheap, no other redeeming value and likely full of who knows what from poor farming practices.
    That's why I haven't tried it again.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Tilapia is rated just fine:  terrible.
    NOLA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    definitely hot dogs!

Hot dogs were already mentioned,  or was that pig bung.. tomato tomoto.

Phoenix 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    gmbbs said:
    I've been underwhelmed by those pinwheel steaks. No me gusta.
    Stuff and re-roll them(cheese, shrooms, spinach, whatever...lots of recipes online) Me gusta mucho.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    blasting said:
    Hans61 said:
    definitely hot dogs!

Hot dogs were already mentioned,  or was that pig bung.. tomato tomoto.

Actually have a German Meat store not far from home. Jalapeno and cheddar dogs made by hand and smoked are pretty good. Quick cook and always great. 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Beef tenderloin
    I find that well marbled prime tenderloin has a much better flavor than the choice stuff.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.