Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Gold Strip Loin

Options
SRF had a "sale" on whole gold strip loins last week so I split one with @lakewade. $350 for 14 lbs so about $25 per lb. Not too bad for SRF Gold anything. Trimmed down to 12 lbs of steaks and I kept the tallow and a little stir fry so nothing will
really go to waste.

We we bought 2 briskets, a ham and some Kobe and RR ground beef too. Total bill...$850. Needless to say, we are good on beef for a while. I think Janell is going to ground me from the Internet after this one. If anyone needs their yard mowed, I'm your guy. 

Pretty crazy looking stuff. The steaks folded in half over my finger they were so floppy and the fat was melting at room temp. Can't wait to dig in. 

Fat melting on my countertop

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm going to use this thread to gain back some internet time. 

Cant wait to to see some results. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Teed up, ready for the hole in one that's in your future.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'd have a sledgehammer through my windshield if my wife found out that I spent $850 and it wasn't a half cow. Lucky!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I'd have a sledgehammer through my windshield if my wife found out that I spent $850 and it wasn't a half cow. Lucky!
    I "only" spent $425. We split it so we could both get our asses kicked (she actually loved it- she's as excited as me)

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Yeah I thought that was pretty wild that it basically melted at room temp,  can anyone explain that? All I know is that during the cook it turned to buttery deliciousness. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    Wow!  I could eat that raw!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Couple more fatties :)

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Yeah I thought that was pretty wild that it basically melted at room temp,  can anyone explain that? All I know is that during the cook it turned to buttery deliciousness. 
    Waygu beef fat is higher in unsaturated fatty acids, which has a lower melting point than saturated fatty acids. That's why oil, such as olive oil is liquid at room temp whereas butter, lard, or shortening are solid. This is due the the single bonds between carbon chains of the fatty acids, which allows for more hydrogen bonding. Unsaturated fatty acids have double bonds between some carbon chains, which does not allow for as much hydrogen bonding, therefore leading to a less stable molecule.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice! I'm going to pull the trigger and try one of their briskets soon. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I "only" spent $425. 

Brother Tex, if I had your money I would have quadrupled that order =)
    On a serious note, there is some great grub in your future. Enjoy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I "only" spent $425. 

Ha ha. Your tractor cost more than my car! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:
    I "only" spent $425. 

Ha ha. Your tractor cost more than my car! 
    That may be true, but I stole my tractor ;)
    Looking forward to your review of the steaks. Everything that I have had from SRF's thus far has been superb. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    My wife would kick my ass. She could buy a lot of pointless **** for. $850. Looks delicious
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Great score right there.  Congrats on sharing the pain ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • byrne092
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Waygu beef fat is higher in unsaturated fatty acids, which has a lower melting point than saturated fatty acids. That's why oil, such as olive oil is liquid at room temp whereas butter, lard, or shortening are solid. This is due the the single bonds between carbon chains of the fatty acids, which allows for more hydrogen bonding. Unsaturated fatty acids have double bonds between some carbon chains, which does not allow for as much hydrogen bonding, therefore leading to a less stable molecule.
    Interesting, thanks for the explanation!

St. Louis, MO
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    those look amazing 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    byrne092 said:
    Interesting, thanks for the explanation!
    Jamon Iberico is very similar.  When they hang hams in Spain they usually have a little paper cup hanging underneath it to keep the fat from dripping onto customer's heads.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• byrne092
    Options
    Acn said:
    Jamon Iberico is very similar.  When they hang hams in Spain they usually have a little paper cup hanging underneath it to keep the fat from dripping onto customer's heads.
    I had to google what that was, that's some high dollar pork! http://www.jamon.com/shopiberico.html

Very cool to read about the process and history too. 

St. Louis, MO
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Damn. I cooked up one of the thinner end cuts tonight just for fun. Holy crap these are good. Seared down low first on the spider/SBGE CI Grid and then  finished at 275 raised indirect until 125 internal. Incredible. Huge beefy flavor but still light like pork tenderloin or something. I could have eaten a pound. Served with grilled romaine and "Denver Tots"

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice looking steak!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    I've got to step out of the box, look super!
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy crap. All of that looks stupendous. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You people are nuts.  I like that.
    Big day yesterday. Mother's day extravaganza and #1 son turned 21. We cooked 2 of these bad boys with a Japanese marinade (Soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and Sake). They were absolutely incredible. Never had a better cut of meat in my life.

Then I got drunk and spilled red wine all over our white couch #happymothersday, #fatheroftheyear, #costme$4kfornewcouch

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Big day yesterday. Mother's day extravaganza and #1 son turned 21. We cooked 2 of these bad boys with a Japanese marinade (Soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and Sake). They were absolutely incredible. Never had a better cut of meat in my life.

Then I got drunk and spilled red wine all over our white couch #happymothersday, #fatheroftheyear, #costme$4kfornewcouch

:clap:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:

:clap:
    it was glorious. She's still not over it. won't be the last time red wine gets spilled at our house.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited May 2016
    Options

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

ha ha. pretty much what it looks like this morning. A new couch is definitely in the cards. It was pretty banged up anyway. Out with the old...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Man, that SRF really does get expensive!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

How do those cows keep their fat from melting off in the summer heat? They sure aren't from Texas. Maybe they are raised in an air conditioned barn? LOL.

Seriously, they look outstanding and I am one jealous dude.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings