Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Most recent pizza!

kwdickert
kwdickert Posts: 308
edited March 2016 in Baking
Recently followed Lark and Lola's copycat Mellow Mushroom dough recipe. Main difference here was that it used molasses versus other sugars. I don't know just how close it is but it was really good. Cold fermented for a few days.

Added store bought shredded mozz, and a small portion of italian cheese blend, and used kroger marinara for sauce. Pepperoni and japs for toppings. Not the rounded pizza ever but this is my third hand made dough pizza. I'll get there.

Prepped on parchment, removed after a few minutes on stone. 

Finished it with garlic butter on the crust with parmesan.

You might notice that I stole a tug from the crust as it was cooling because im an impatient child when it comes to pizza...

Fitted the egg with my new smokeware black temp guage that I can see from inside the house. As you can see, it was perfect pizza temp!

Also, got the grill up to temp in about 45 mins with the kick ash basket installed. Faster than before! Not quite sure that the stone was 625 by this point though. Still my guess was that it was at least 550 and probably closer to 600 as it cooked the pizza in about 6 minutes.

My pizza set up is simple. Regular grill grate loaded with fire bricks laying flat. Adjustable Rig goes in with pizza stone on grid at top rung. 

Memphis TN - Large Green Egg

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Looks fantastic!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    That crust!  Nice pizza!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Looks good to me!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • kwdickert
    edited April 2016
    Bump. 
  • kwdickert
    edited April 2016

Cajun grilled chicken, jalapeños, fresh mozz, and the mellow mushroom dough. Best one to date! Stone around 550-575 for seven minutes. 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Nice looking ZA right there
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I am no pizza expert but that is a good looking pie.  On the round part, my first attempts were about every shape but round.  I have found starting with a round ball of dough really helps with the final shape.  After I divide my dough into equal size balls of dough, I then fold the dough over itself to get a nice round dough ball.  When I start working the dough the next day or thereafter, I just start in the middle of the dough ball with my fingers and push the dough out to the edges.  Flip and repeat several times.  I can't flip the crust into the air or really spin it or anything but I then use my hands (fists) to stretch the dough letting gravity help the process.  Hard to explain in words but there are some youtube videos around that helped me get the shape to be more circular.
    XL BGE
  • kwdickert
    SPRIGS said:
    I am no pizza expert but that is a good looking pie.  On the round part, my first attempts were about every shape but round.  I have found starting with a round ball of dough really helps with the final shape.  After I divide my dough into equal size balls of dough, I then fold the dough over itself to get a nice round dough ball.  When I start working the dough the next day or thereafter, I just start in the middle of the dough ball with my fingers and push the dough out to the edges.  Flip and repeat several times.  I can't flip the crust into the air or really spin it or anything but I then use my hands (fists) to stretch the dough letting gravity help the process.  Hard to explain in words but there are some youtube videos around that helped me get the shape to be more circular.
    I saw that video the other day. He does a good job. I've given up going for a perfect circle. I now just concern myself with making sure the dough is evenly stretched thin in all areas other than the crust. This pizza came from dough I made a few weeks back and froze. It was in a ball when frozen and then i let it proof. I do agree that the shape you start it with before fermenting/refridgerating/freezing matters in the shape it will become. This pizza above is about as good as I care to try. I can't draw a perfect circle either haha!  
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I hear you.  Mine are far from perfect. The good thing- shape doesn't impact the taste!!  All this talk about pizza is making me hungry.
    XL BGE