Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Other expensive hobbies

Options
123457»

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    After the "routine" engine maintenance a month ago (in full disclosure, that maintenance is a milepost maintenance, and is a bit out of the ordinary. Usual maintenance in the spring before going in the water is about 5-10K)
    New electronics for the floating hole are going to be needed soon. I think it will be another year as it is better to do a full overhaul all at once, then replace piece by piece for the current situation we have.

They were nice to include a discount. In reality this is a full upgrade with the bills and whistles. There are some things I would cut out....

The old spelling/saying: "BOAT = Bring out Another Thousand" is severely out dated and has been for years. It is now "BOATT - Bring out Another Ten Thousand." At least for anything over 32 foot LOA and an offshore sportfisher. Smaller inshore boats are much less expensive overall.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Made me think of this.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    After the "routine" engine maintenance a month ago (in full disclosure, that maintenance is a milepost maintenance, and is a bit out of the ordinary. Usual maintenance in the spring before going in the water is about 5-10K)
    New electronics for the floating hole are going to be needed soon. I think it will be another year as it is better to do a full overhaul all at once, then replace piece by piece for the current situation we have.

They were nice to include a discount. In reality this is a full upgrade with the bills and whistles. There are some things I would cut out....

The old spelling/saying: "BOAT = Bring out Another Thousand" is severely out dated and has been for years. It is now "BOATT - Bring out Another Ten Thousand." At least for anything over 32 foot LOA and an offshore sportfisher. Smaller inshore boats are much less expensive overall.

Wow, just wow.  Or.....Bend Over And Take it
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Ouch, I'm twitching for you.

Phoenix 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Three of my favorites; Motorcycles, RV's, and BBQ converge this week at the MotoGP in Austin. 

I'm still learning how to drive this 38' whale. Should be an interesting weekend. Wish me luck!
    Gittin' there...
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    stompbox said:
    kwdickert said:
    Guitars/amps/pedals , general cooking, trying new beer/bourbon/scotch/wine, scuba diving, taking the sig other out to dinner....

A klone, caveman, and Strymon.... You have to be on The Gear Page right? :)

GUILTY!

KWD1987 over there.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this bad boy. https://www.cervelo.com/en/road/r-series/r3  The last bike I bought was a Litespeed Tuscany in 1999.  I hope the Cervelo will last me another 17 years.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • SouthernSmoke
    Options
    Not as expensive as a lot of the hobbies mentioned here, but I've been collecting and using vintage safety razors for the last year and a half or so.  Vintage Gillette's mainly from the 40's - 70's.  
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Other than egging, just home brewing. Put a sink in the garage with reverse osmosis and way overdid the keezer. 
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Rolex and Seiko are among the FEW watchmakers who actually make the movements.  
    A lot of well-known watches use the movements from somebody else.   Like TAG and OMEGA, among others.  They may Modify an existing movement, but some other company has already done the heavy lifting.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    breguet and patek make their own... those are serious watches, FWIW.  never got that close in my time collecting watches.

i worked on designing a hotel with a guy who collected Pateks.  they would offer him new models as they came up.  he didn't have anything nutty like a tourbillion or repeater, but he did have a tank watch once which i spotted in a meeting and googled, and the thing was a $250k watch.

talk about having an expensive hobby.  eeesh.

and 99.99% of the people looking at it had no idea.  they are far less flashy than a rolex. kind of a subtle way to drop a quarter of a million dollars
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Begger said:
    Rolex and Seiko are among the FEW watchmakers who actually make the movements.  
    A lot of well-known watches use the movements from somebody else.   Like TAG and OMEGA, among others.  They may Modify an existing movement, but some other company has already done the heavy lifting.
    Breitling's for me--it's a pilot status thing.  My dad gave me one the day I first solo'd in a helicopter......19 yrs ago this September. 
  • wicket03
    wicket03 Posts: 11
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Paying taxes. I took a beating this year. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    you pay taxes as a hobby? 

i do it reluctantly.  four times a year, too.  not fun.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    Other than egging, just home brewing. Put a sink in the garage with reverse osmosis and way overdid the keezer. 
    Nice setup
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    edited April 2016
    Options
    yep.  good stuff.

you should see their pockets, with grand complications.

breguet initiated many (maybe most?) of the improvements in horology (in watches anyway) , and they stick to a similar aesthetic.  patek tends to be more wide ranging, and given to complication.

patek's Henry Graves pocket watch sold for around 1.4 million when i was collecting during the 90's or so.  it sold again in 2014 for 24 million.

frankly, it's a clock jammed with complications, rather than a pocket watch you could reasonably carry.  but it pulls out all the stops.

still not a tourbillion though

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    @E-ville Egg
     Thank you 
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Egging ain't expensive
    Cooking on the coast