Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's see your best single shot...

blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971
This thread here is for a single shot of whatever the heck you're cooking this weekend.  Burger?  Hot dog?  SRF Brisket?  Fancy, plain, whatever, it's all good.  Let's see it.   @Fred19Flintstone I'm counting on you, your best shot may not even be food ;)  
Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @cazzy in 3...2...1...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • blind99
    @bud812 technically that's not on the egg, but it's close enough :) strong work. 

My contribution. Wife is gone, it's me and three kids God help them. BBQ chicken requested.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Raw OK? This butt is a freezer treasure that I'm thawing for a Sunday turbo cook. That will mean great eats Sunday but also replenish our stash of pulled pork packages meant for some quick easy night meals in the future. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blind99
    @lit dang those look awesome!  wish my costco had those. @johnnyp delicious!  love the Dizzy Pig.  (I was about to write love the DP but I'm SURE @tarheelmatt would have a field day)
    @RRP July 2015, that's what I call a deep bench!
    @jeremiah it's friday, i have a cold beer, and i'm looking down at the grass and not up, so we are all winners
  • RRP
    blind99 said:

@RRP July 2015, that's what I call a deep bench!

Not quite sure what you mean - actually my freezer is an upright and this butt was at the front in plain sight all the time - I just kept putting it off until now. If you meant about age - I have enjoyed butts that have been frozen longer than that. Peace bro
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Lit said:
    I cooked a couple of those last week end. Technically they were cooked perfectly, however they lacked the flavor I was hoping for.
    I grilled them like you have in the photo, rolled up. The issue I had was when I cut them after cooking they began to unroll. This left a very high interior to exterior crust ratio.

I definitely took a superior piece of meat and turned it into a mediocre meal.

Would unrolling them be a good way to go? I'm thinking it would really improve the crust to interior ratio.

How do you normally cook yours? 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @GregW - fortunately for me the Costco here sells them fully laid out so I didn't get confused with the jelly roll presentation.  I would go with the unrolled (don't have any experience with any other style) cook.  But that said, they go quickly and are not uniform in thickness-at least those I have found. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    lousubcap said:
    @GregW - fortunately for me the Costco here sells them fully laid out so I didn't get confused with the jelly roll presentation.  I would go with the unrolled (don't have any experience with any other style) cook.  But that said, they go quickly and are not uniform in thickness-at least those I have found. FWIW-
    Thanks, I think the rolled up kind got me off on the wrong path. Seeing them rolled up made me think that was the best way to cook them.
    I'm thinking that it might even work to cut it up and put it on skewers.

I think there are many ways to do it that will yield better results that what I did.
  • blind99
    @RRP I'm impressed at what you've got in the freezer.  I wish I had that kind of stock on hand!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    GregW said:
    Lit said:
    I cooked a couple of those last week end. Technically they were cooked perfectly, however they lacked the flavor I was hoping for.
    I grilled them like you have in the photo, rolled up. The issue I had was when I cut them after cooking they began to unroll. This left a very high interior to exterior crust ratio.

Would unrolling them be a good way to go? I'm thinking it would really improve the crust to interior ratio.

Have only done these a couple times. I have tied them tighter then sous vide and seared in the past. Gonna do a cold smoke for a half hour in the vertical first this time with oak and hickory then sous vide and sear. They are deceiving in the package they look like a nice medallion but are not. Flavor has been great in the past though I can't wait for tomorrow.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Chef Boy'r'd

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    edited March 2016
    GregW said:
    Lit said:

Oh boy - do those bring back memories from years of early marriage. We called them pinwheel steaks. Funny thing was these were more tasty than the tough round steaks we bought when we could spring for a "steak night" and we felt we were moving on up! 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Chef Boy'r'd

When I saw this, I thought it was @DMW making another late run to Sheetz. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I lose. Leftover paella from the egg last night
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• blind99
    @Ozzie_Isaac oh jeez are you taunting someone with that fork? 
    @WeberWho the only losers are those kiwis who can't sample the paella. 
    @LRW that's some good eats!
  • Last night's salmon and sprouts & bacon.

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    blind99 said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac oh jeez are you taunting someone with that fork? 
    Gratuitous fork usage for sure ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Weekend is booked with no time to egg.  :frowning: Here is breakfast.   

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    With all due respect @Dyal_SC... That is positively the most un appetizing pic I have ever seen from you !!!.. Have a great weekend whatever you are up to..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dyal_SC
    LOL @johnmitchell ... Getting old sucks.  Rather have biscuits and gravy.   =)  On a similar note, my grandmother in law's 100th birthday party is today, which is why I won't be egging.  
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    I'm doing the pastrami that we discussed yesterday, but it is desalinating and won't go over the smoke until tomorrow.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Dyal_SC said:
    LOL @johnmitchell ... Getting old sucks.  Rather have biscuits and gravy.   =)  On a similar note, my grandmother in law's 100th birthday party is today, which is why I won't be egging.  
    100th bday is fantastic - what's her secret, kale shakes?
  • Dyal_SC
    @Legume, that woman has beat about every illness known to mankind, including cancer.  Must be her moderation with her one glass of wine per day and dessert every night. :)
  • blind99
    @sheetmetalpete dang that looks great!  kale smoothie, man, wish i had the discipline for that.  i stirred together some eggs, sausage, onion and hot sauce and wrapped it up in a tortilla... and sprinkled with lipitor...
    @mosca pastrami sounds great.  i'm looking forward to the final product