Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How far would you travel for $100 savings?

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
How far would you travel for $100 savings? I'm looking really hard at a minimax at Wassi's meat market in Melbourne FL. But it's totally out of my way. It would add about three hours onto a trip to Miami. Is it worth it?
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    1. Can you get it faster?
    2.  There is no 2 but I started a list
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Probably 45 minutes each way.  No way I would drive 3 hours for $100.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Depends.  If it is vacation time and I would miss 3 hrs on the beach I would not do it.

If it was a regular day and just goofing off then yes I would do it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Adding it to a trip I probably wouldn't do it.  A 4-5 hour drive isn't bad.  A 7-8 hour drive starts to suck.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Not for a hundo but I spend my days in my vehicle and am getting where I despise driving. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    3 hours would be too long.  My time is worth more than $33/hour to me.  I might do an hour each way, but even that would be dependent on what else was going on.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    When are rational decisions ever fun? Go for it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    WeberWho said:
    When are rational decisions ever fun? Go for it!
    Good point.  We are collecting Eggs here.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

I wouldn't drive more that 30-40 miles out of my way; at the most. I do travel up to 150 miles for work, so if I needed something I would wait until I was in that area.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Factor in the gas, wear and tear on the vehicle etc. IRS mileage reimbursement is 54 cents a mile which covers all of this. Three hours out of your way likely will cost you more than $100. This doesn't factor in your time either...
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    edited March 2016
    It really depends on the purchase.  If it's for a cheaper hooker, my advice would be to reconsider.  Sometimes the cost isn't apparent until later.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    The way I think.  

First, the dollars and cents.  3 hours to save a hundie.  Since it's after tax dollars, that's the equivalent of about $150 of earned income or about $50 per hour - compared to whatever you usually make.  

If you like driving, or you get to see something else on the trip, that would add value to the the dollars saved.

If you hate driving, the traffic is terrible, or the scenery is boring, that would reduce the value of the dollars saved.

Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Simple answer. Make the trip. Get your MM and the $100 saved can be transferred into some wicked good proteins from Wassi's. Have them throw in a bag of lump and break that MM in right in the parking lot :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    blasting said:
    The way I think.  

First, the dollars and cents.  3 hours to save a hundie.  Since it's after tax dollars, that's the equivalent of about $150 of earned income or about $50 per hour - compared to whatever you usually make.  

If you like driving, or you get to see something else on the trip, that would add value to the the dollars saved.

If you hate driving, the traffic is terrible, or the scenery is boring, that would reduce the value of the dollars saved.

I would like to add that I consider my personal time to be more valuable to me than my work time, so If I make $50/hr at work, then it's more like $100/hr (or at least $75/hour for overtime).  After adding cost of gas and wear & tear on the car (tires, oil changes, etc), I would probably spend the $100 and enjoy saving myself 3 hours.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    If you want it, do it. Eff a bunch of financials. Life's too short for all this analysis. Do what you want to do. 
  • Zmokin
    If you want it, do it. Eff a bunch of financials. Life's too short for all this analysis. Do what you want to do. 
    I don't slander your decision making process, why are you slandering mine?

• theyolksonyou
    Zmokin said:
    Seriously, did you even read everyone's opinions?  You really think I'm singling you out?  Don't flatter yourself. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Zmokin said:
    It's okay....now play nice you guys. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin said:
    Seriously, did you even read everyone's opinions?  You really think I'm singling you out?  Don't flatter yourself. 
    No, I didn't feel you singled me out, but your post was right after mine and I feel you slandered all of us that make decisions based on cost.  You could have posted your opinion on decision making without cussing at those of us who do. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Zmokin said:
    It's okay....now play nice you guys. 

Wait, who's Taylor and who's Kanye???
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited March 2016
    A.  I would travel $75 worth of gas to save $100.  B. Wassi is a great place and you will buy something else plus drink some free beer, say hi to Jan the queen of the Sunshine Eggfest.  Wassi always greets me with Hi Doc! and makes me feel like a celebrity.  Bought a Kickash Basket for my Medium just last weekend.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Not sure the route you are planning but if you are taking the turnpike across to 528 you will hit like $15 in tolls to cross to Melbourne faster. Central Florida tolls are crazy. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I would really, really like to visit the Dichicko's Cafe in Augusta, but OMG Augusta is out of the way from any trip. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    I agree with most people who say an hour. I'd try to find something else nearby to do, to make it more worthwhile. But if I was just going to burn a couple hours, it would still be okay.

For those arguing about decision process, remember the original question was phrased as a value equation.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I would inversely ask yourself the question:  Would you pay $100 NOT to make that drive?

Whatever you decide, you're going to end up with a Mini Max.  Enjoy!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    edited March 2016
    What are the Mini Maxes going for on average? I bought a large BGE about a month ago and I'm wanting the Min I Max for our RV. Local dealer wants $703 for the MM, place setter, and taxes included. Sounds a little high to me but I'm not sure what they go for. 

We are gong camping for Spring break so I'm probably going to buy one this next week. It's a lot of money but after using my large for a month I don't want to go back to a regular charcoal grill. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I would try to purchase somewhere close to me, because when I need warranty service I would feel uncomfortable asking the local guy for help if I didn't purchase the egg from him.
  • thetrim
    Thanks for all the great input!  One more reason I love this group. 

I typed my first message while roaming Highway 27 heading north from Miami earlier today, so I wanted to expand a little more.  I'm looking to host a pool side SV steak cook for some buddies coming in to help with a project down in Miami.  Rational Trim says, pack up one of your current Mini's w the new SV machine (purchase motivated solely from input given on this forum) and be done with it.  Irrational Trim says, why don't you give Wassi's a call.  And @Doc_Eggerton I have been there before and bought some righteous Prime Ribeyes.  Wow!  That's a whole other story there.  Find out they have them for $499 and $540 something including the platesetter and ashtool (have one of these already, so I'm sure they'd work with me for something else). I'm headed back Monday morning and thought it added about 3 hours to my trip but doing a google search tonight, it only takes my 4hr, 8 mins drive to 4 hr, 55 mins.  I've been drinking but I only think that adds 47 mins to the trip.  Any chance Wassi's is conspiring with Google maps to make it seem shorter????  I'd also add I'm the proud owner of two Mini's (one I haven't taken out of the box yet), and I always had the plan of dropping one or both of those on Craiglist and use it towards a MM.  Of course I'd be buying the MM first and dumping the minis later.
    Does this change your recommendations or should I just plan on heading to Melbourne first thing Monday morning?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    C130 said:
    What are the Mini Maxes going for on average? I bought a large BGE about a month ago and I'm wanting the Min I Max for our RV. Local dealer wants $703 for the MM, place setter, and taxes included. Sounds a little high to me but I'm not sure what they go for. 

We are gong camping for Spring break so I'm probably going to buy one this next week. It's a lot of money but after using my large for a month I don't want to go back to a regular charcoal grill. 
    Pricing for MM is $598 everywhere else I checked.  Not sure about all the accessories
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95