Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 day 3 course

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
A slow fuse was lit courtesy of Overdone Ozzie.  Although I'm not competing(for several reasons), I wanted to push myself and have some fun with the small.

Menu for tomorrow:
Appetizer:  Mallmann's  Burnt Tomato, Goat Cheese, and Anchovy Bruschetta

Main:  Lasagna inspired by Molly and Enrico, with Big Italian salad
http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1304753&catid=1
http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/03/big-italian-salad.html#tabreviews

Dessert:  Ree Drummond's Skillet Cookie Sundae
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/skillet-cookie-sundae.html

So grab a glass, a knife(preferably in that order), and let's roll.

DAY 1:  NOODLE
My "Turnspit" helped with Chef Marc Vetri's Egg Yolk Dough from Mastering Pasta.  A great resource I found at the local library on everything pasta.  
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Pasta-Practice-Handmade-Gnocchi/dp/1607746077

I took over on the KA, using 3oz pieces, rolled to #5 setting.

Cut into 8" pieces for the 8x8 cakepan and placed in the freezer.  
Scraps are the best.  Turnspit was eating them raw. 

On the way to my dad's, his neighbor had free wood at the end of the road.  My little guy was a good help, loading, and unloading after getting diagnosed with a broken second toe last week from dropping a log on his foot at his mom's helping gather wood for their woodburner.  Took him to Lagomarcinos in Moline, IL for a hot fudge sundae, and grabbed some ingredients you will see later. The wood will come in handy with plans this Spring to build a Neolithic hearth design from an archeological site report.  Anybody who could help with species identification out of curiosity would be greatly appreciated.  As you can see, the bark was already removed.   

DAY 2:  RAGU

Removed all the used charcoal from both larges for replenishing this 12ish hour total cook at 300-350.  Decided to break out the good stuff for this project.

While cleaning out the small, I found an exact 1/2 lb souvenir

"O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; and I direct my prayer to you and watch." 
Psalms 5:3

"At dusk I strike silently, with my carbon Hoyt Bone Collector, offering You the main local ingredient."  
Focker 24:7

The ragu:

50 oz Nina's San Marzano's from Costco
1C Carrot
1C Celery
1 Med Yellow Onion
3 Large Garlic Cloves
1T Graziano Bros Italian Seasoning
1T White Pepper
1t Fleur de Sel
1t White Sugar
2T Colavita Red Wine Vinegar
1t Amore Anchovy Paste
1/2 Jar Bomba
2 Bay Leaves
2C Water
3lbs ground venison

The venison being lean, opted to sear in a screaming hot 12" Lodge CS pan with Berkwood Berkshire lard in one lb batches.

Instead of adding everything to the pool from the beginning, I felt adding the meat 3 hours in would be best.  And do NOT strain fat.

Took an hour to cook the deer and prep.
A moment of silence at the altar.

While slicing and dicing, got a ring on the doorbell.  Walked out to my $110.71 Pelican!

Will be nice to have a dedicated beverage and food cooler camping iceless this year with 4 XL Chillin Brews.  

Now that the egg is preheated, I went indirect at a slow simmer for 5 hours.  Added charcoal at the halfway point, fire seemed to be fading.  

While that was going, I installed a Truxedo.  A 3 Bud project.  Came out really clean.  Will be another great addition while camping, keeping my gear high and dry.  Also a theft deterrent.  The Pelicans are a perfect fit.

Alright, enough of the nursy multi-tasking.  lol
Back to work.
Second batch is about to go on.  You can see it really thicken up in the cooked batch below it.

While that was going, I cold smoked some Kerrygold for a couple of hours in the small with Peach dust.

Chef Marc Vetri's Bechamel, and possibly assembly, are tonight.

Stay tuned, there is more to come.  
Wish me luck. 

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments