Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight Butt

Options
Spaceman
Spaceman Posts: 78
and we're off--

Norwell, MA. LBGE

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Standing by... Looks like you are in for some great swine eats.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Update. Pics to follow

I was shooting for 250 grid temp. When I fell asleep, Grid was about 260 (down from 273).  When I awoke, grid was 270 and IT was 170. Surprised that temp rose overnight, but I somewhat overshot at the beginning. Minor adjustments and grid is at 250.

The rub was heavy on the paprika and celery salt

the sauce is East Carolina.  First time, I did not cook/simmer the sauce.  Just mix and refrigerate.

Pics in about 4 hours. 
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Sounds good. Off to a great start!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Grid at 235. IT is 187. Perfect

Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Going to sleep at 260 and waking to 270 is nothing to be surprised about.  +/- 10 degrees overnight is what some people live for.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Lookin' good right there.  And as above, a 10*F temp change over-night is about as good as it gets.  Definitely had it dialed in.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Finished about 5pm. Brought it to 203. FTC for 2 hours. Now I have a very happy wife. 

Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Stellar cook and always a favorite. Presentation is killer Cap! Nice finish and a delicious lolling dish. Curious about the celery salt, add good bark?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    Outstanding looking cook there brother. And congrats on nailing the temp. If you did that without the aid of a temperature controller then you da man. You da man anyway with that cook. Thanks for sharing. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas