Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Meets Joetisserie - A New Dimension In Egging

Options

Comments

• Grillfittiguy
    Options
    The real advantage would be if you were thinking about buying a KAB ... currently going for $59.  Then the Fire Box would be a viable choice ... currently going for $79. 
    The KAB would not be necessary if the "JOE-Spin" heat deflector portion of the Joetisserie was included in future designs or as an optional extra (like the baskets will be offered).  It controls all heat control functions of full open, full closed and anywhere in between open/closed for full direct, full indirect or partial direct cooking.  See the picture posted above.
  • Grillfittiguy
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @Photo Egg no apology needed. I understand your concern about the unit you saw. From what I have found, this product has had a three year journey to get to market, so there were probably many variations on display at dealers for potential users to see. Don't know. I am just very happy that the unit we have works well. I am also not bashing KJ in the least. We had even considered a Joe Jr., but opted for the Smoke Vault. It's been really cloudy today with a few snow flurries, but I will try to get some interior pics if its sunny tomorrow that may be a little clearer. I think these threads are important for all of us to field questions and look for answers, so your input is important IMHO.
    It had longer than a 3 year journey (when you take in account research and design development) and yes there were earlier versions of different material but the end results remained the same in the end. i.e., that no matter the "play" for versatility in fitting a slew of kamados and not just one brand, that the slope would still have gasket coverage to eliminate smoke and heat leakage.  The end results are:  You can maintain the heat at 350 degrees which is perfect for rotissing for as long as you want with only a small burst of smoke escaping via the one hole that allows the spit rod to penetrate and be attached to the motor.  Now I'm wondering how long before BGE takes off of their site the answer to the question poised: Re:  Question # 5:  "Do you need a rotisserie on a BGE"  Well NO you don't but as us JOEtisserie users know, it's the best damn chicken you're ever going to taste cooked on an Egg or kamado.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @Photo Egg no apology needed. I understand your concern about the unit you saw. From what I have found, this product has had a three year journey to get to market, so there were probably many variations on display at dealers for potential users to see. Don't know. I am just very happy that the unit we have works well. I am also not bashing KJ in the least. We had even considered a Joe Jr., but opted for the Smoke Vault. It's been really cloudy today with a few snow flurries, but I will try to get some interior pics if its sunny tomorrow that may be a little clearer. I think these threads are important for all of us to field questions and look for answers, so your input is important IMHO.
    It had longer than a 3 year journey (when you take in account research and design development) and yes there were earlier versions of different material but the end results remained the same in the end. i.e., that no matter the "play" for versatility in fitting a slew of kamados and not just one brand, that the slope would still have gasket coverage to eliminate smoke and heat leakage.  The end results are:  You can maintain the heat at 350 degrees which is perfect for rotissing for as long as you want with only a small burst of smoke escaping via the one hole that allows the spit rod to penetrate and be attached to the motor.  Now I'm wondering how long before BGE takes off of their site the answer to the question poised: Re:  Question # 5:  "Do you need a rotisserie on a BGE"  Well NO you don't but as us JOEtisserie users know, it's the best damn chicken you're ever going to taste cooked on an Egg or kamado.
    how do you know so much about the product?
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @RRP, I think your thoughts are spot on about applying the gasket to the Joetisserie instead of the dome. @SMITTYtheSMOKER, can't wait to see your results and good luck in the competition. @Grillfittiguy, thanks for your input. Have I said we love our Joetisserie? 
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    Options
    As promised, pics of chicken pot pie using leftover rotisseried chicken.

Fit to eat.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Agree with the flat Rutland or other gasket on the Joetissorie. My question would be on the possible expansion of the cast aluminum causing premature failure of the binding adhesive. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Handcyclist
    Options
    Two things--this forum is getting to be expensive to read and follow!  Second, the Joetisserie was ordered yesterday afternoon from Yard and Pool with the 5% discount and free shipping.  It arrived less than 24 hours later --300 miles from their location.  Wow--what customer service! Now to get rid of the -20 wind chills here so the egg can be fired up and begin cooking! 
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Dredger
    Options
    @DaveRichardson, to me, it would be worth the trial because the cost is only $10 to $15 for the gasket material. If it works, you're golden, if it doesn't, simply peel it off and clean it with alcohol or acetone. We're all in uncharted territory here. Maybe someone else can chime in regarding using the Joetisserie with a Rutland gasket after a trial. @Handcyclist, very glad you had such good service. I agree about the weather. Looks like our standing rib roast will stay in the fridge until next week too. Bummer.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    If the motor is as solid as my Weber Kettle Rotisserie which I've done 23 pound turkeys on, I might get this unit too.  The one for the Weber totally changed the way I cook with it....completely, 100% satisfied with my Weber Kettle rotisserie....The only thing I worry about is the leverage on the hinges being only partially open.  I paid $179 I think for my weber one, and don't think the $250 tag is out of order for the egg cooker version....and I need an XL version ;)

1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Why would leakage matter? 350 is 350... Right? 
    Seattle, WA
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Grillfittiguy said:Re:  Question # 5:  "Do you need a rotisserie on a BGE"  Well NO you don't but as us JOEtisserie users know, it's the best damn chicken you're ever going to taste cooked on an Egg or kamado.
    Geez, kamado-grilled chicken is already the best damn chicken I ever tasted, I might need rehab after getting a JOEtisserie!
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    I agree.....my rotisserie has made some of the best chicken, pork and turkey I've made....and it wasn't in my egg.  Can't wait to get one for my egg...
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • Dredger
    Options
    @VooDuuChild, maybe someone knows when the one for the XL will be available. @SkinnyV, I agree. Even if some smoke comes out using a Rutland, how hard would it be to maintain 350 degrees. @Mosca, I have had chicken on the egg and a smoker as far as cooking outside and the difference using the Joetisserie is amazing.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @VooDuuChild, maybe someone knows when the one for the XL will be available. @SkinnyV, I agree. Even if some smoke comes out using a Rutland, how hard would it be to maintain 350 degrees. @Mosca, I have had chicken on the egg and a smoker as far as cooking outside and the difference using the Joetisserie is amazing.
    I may have to get one of these.  I also love rotisserie cooking as it really prevents over cooking/charring when cooking with direct heat.  Right now, when i want to rotisserie, I use my gasser.  If I want smoke, I use a smoke box and smoke in my gasser when I start, and then after the smoking is done, fire up the back heater for the finish.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Dredger
    Options
    @Zmokin, we went the gasser/rotisserie/smoke box for years until we got the egg in 1998. Absolutely no comparison with the Joetisserie on the egg.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @DaveRichardson, to me, it would be worth the trial because the cost is only $10 to $15 for the gasket material.  We're all in uncharted territory here. Maybe someone else can chime in regarding using the Joetisserie with a Rutland gasket after a trial. 
    I am shipping a Rutland on Monday for this very purpose. I don't feel right saying who the buyer is - I'll let him come forward.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @RRP, that's great to know. I sure hope it works. Can't see why it wouldn't though.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • RRP
    Options

Agree with the flat Rutland or other gasket on the Joetissorie. My question would be on the possible expansion of the cast aluminum causing premature failure of the binding adhesive. 
    I'm not sure if it would be an issue. It's an automotive gasket material which is also used on car engines with aluminum blocks. Also I know people who have applied Rutland gaskets using Permatex on their SmokeWare caps and it doesn't fail there at even higher temperatures. Guess we'll have to get a report from the field!
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

I'm not sure if it would be an issue. It's an automotive gasket material which is also used on car engines with aluminum blocks. Also I know people who have applied Rutland gaskets using Permatex on their SmokeWare caps and it doesn't fail there at even higher temperatures. Guess we'll have to get a report from the field!
    Furthermore the Permatex Technical Data sheets state that the cured Permatex will stretch 3.5 times its length before failing.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @RRP  my main concern is the amount of expansion and contraction at every cook cycle. I know you would be able to answer the expansion question with the permatex. 

Be be looking for a message from me soon for some gasket material. Just noticed a fair amount of smoke leakage on old #19. Looks like Agnes will need a new gasket soon!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP  my main concern is the amount of expansion and contraction at every cook cycle. I know you would be able to answer the expansion question with the permatex. 

Be be looking for a message from me soon for some gasket material. Just noticed a fair amount of smoke leakage on old #19. Looks like Agnes will need a new gasket soon!
    I guess I question just how much a 350º fire will tax a 700º Permatex which is applied on the side opposite the fire anyway. BTW is that ring solid aluminum or hollow? Either way even that serves as a thermal barrier.
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    The joetisserie is $239.99 at hydropool.com and free shipping
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Paralysis by Analysis.....
    Seattle, WA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:by

I guess I question just how much a 350º fire will tax a 700º Permatex which is applied on the side opposite the fire anyway. BTW is that ring solid aluminum or hollow? Either way even that serves as a thermal barrier.
    Not solid, cast aluminum. I bet 700 is safe.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Dredger .. do you get a lot of black smoke when doing a chicken?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Dredger .. do you get a lot of black smoke when doing a chicken?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Dredger
    Options
    @SoCalTim, no black smoke at all. At 350, it burns very clean. Not much smoke at all.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I really dig the Joetisserie. It's set it and forget it style. The chicken results are tender and juicy just as expected from a rotisserie style.

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I am really intrigued by this... Really want to give it a go.   But, (lol) everytime I think about this I remember that I can get a rotisserie chicken for like $4.99. Even cheaper than a whole uncooked chicken a lot of times.
  • Dredger
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig, yep, I've seen a chicken like that before, lol. It does a fantastic job. What are you cooking on it next? I have a standing rib roast waiting in the fridge for this week.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC