Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Meets Joetisserie - A New Dimension In Egging

Options

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Admittedly didn't read all comments. Looks great! I assume the coinage is worth it compared to a standard egged yardbird? 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    If this gains momentum on the BGE circuit, I wonder how long it will be until the mothership puts out their own "Egg Spinner" or the like...
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @chrisc133, where did you get the extra baskets? I didn't see them on the Fireside website. Also, do you know if you can get an extra set of tines? That would come in handy for multiple chickens at the same time. I know you could just slide them together, but would prefer to double tine them if possible.

@lousubcap, I understand thoroughly. We are rotisserie junkies, so it was a done deal for us. You're welcome about the documentation. It took us about three days researching and not finding much except the statement that it would work on an egg. Now we know for sure.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Dredger said:

@Photo Egg , it fit on our large BGE, but we've had it since 1998, so not sure if anything has changed with the egg design since then. We had a scant 1/4 inch of gasket showing all the way around on ours. It seems to have more gasket contact on our egg than what we have seen on the KJ video and pics. Our experience only. Weber makes a great grill too.

My issue was not the 1/4" of gasket showing around the edge. It was the slop of the inner lip holding the rotisserie centered.
    On the KJ in the showroom you could slide the entire unit back so much that it creates gaps in the front before the inner lip created a stop. This would be true for any direction the rotisserie moved on the cooker.
    It might never cause issues but it might allow the rotisserie to slide/move with a worn gasket with vibration and such. There is really no reason I can think of for such a poor fit? This is my only issue, and maybe it's not an issue at all. Just my observation after playing with the rotisserie at the store.
    Really like the use f the baskets in the above post as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dredger
    Options
    I assume the coinage is worth it compared to a standard egged yardbird? 
    @Chubbs, for us it is. Moisture and flavor was outstanding. You can use this for a lot more than chickens too. Prime rib is on deck this week. Pics to follow.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Dredger said:
    I assume the coinage is worth it compared to a standard egged yardbird? 
    @Chubbs, for us it is. Moisture and flavor was outstanding. You can use this for a lot more than chickens too. Prime rib is on deck this week. Pics to follow.
    Awesome. Thanks for the review. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @chrisc133, where did you get the extra baskets? I didn't see them on the Fireside website. Also, do you know if you can get an extra set of tines? That would come in handy for multiple chickens at the same time. I know you could just slide them together, but would prefer to double tine them if possible.

@lousubcap, I understand thoroughly. We are rotisserie junkies, so it was a done deal for us. You're welcome about the documentation. It took us about three days researching and not finding much except the statement that it would work on an egg. Now we know for sure.
    The rod in the Joetisserie is the standard size (5/8") so any baskets or other types of mounts will work as long as they are not too long to fit in your egg.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• chrisc133
    Options
    Dredger said:

Here are several basket options:

http://www.onegrill.com/Universal_Rotisserie_Spit_Rod_Rotisserie_Baskets_s/129.htm

I got this tumble basket:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JMKYQA?keywords=fill it and grill it&qid=1455041030&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

As for more more spit forks...can get them from onegrill too.

http://www.onegrill.com/Universal_Rotisserie_Spit_Rod_Forks_s/121.htm
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • chrisc133
    Options

Photo Egg said:
    Dredger said:

@Photo Egg , it fit on our large BGE, but we've had it since 1998, so not sure if anything has changed with the egg design since then. We had a scant 1/4 inch of gasket showing all the way around on ours. It seems to have more gasket contact on our egg than what we have seen on the KJ video and pics. Our experience only. Weber makes a great grill too.

My issue was not the 1/4" of gasket showing around the edge. It was the slop of the inner lip holding the rotisserie centered.
    On the KJ in the showroom you could slide the entire unit back so much that it creates gaps in the front before the inner lip created a stop. This would be true for any direction the rotisserie moved on the cooker.
    It might never cause issues but it might allow the rotisserie to slide/move with a worn gasket with vibration and such. There is really no reason I can think of for such a poor fit? This is my only issue, and maybe it's not an issue at all. Just my observation after playing with the rotisserie at the store.
    I'll look at the fit on mine again...but I haven't noticed any issues with the fit.  There is some nice weight to the cast aluminum ring--I've experienced no movement in the ring due to the vibrations from the motor nor have I had any issues controlling temps due any extra air getting in. I've cooked at 300 and 350 degrees and have been able to lock the temp in no problem.

But that said I'll look again and see...
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    It's amazing to find out I need something that I didn't even know existed.
    That's a cool accessory.
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    GregW said:
    It's amazing to find out I need something that I didn't even know existed.
    That's a cool accessory.
    This is EXACTLY me. Stupid forum.  
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Oh, man. Next question has to be, why NOT get one. Other than money, that is.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    I'll look at the fit on mine again...but I haven't noticed any issues with the fit.  There is some nice weight to the cast aluminum ring--I've experienced no movement in the ring due to the vibrations from the motor nor have I had any issues controlling temps due any extra air getting in. I've cooked at 300 and 350 degrees and have been able to lock the temp in no problem.

Cool, thank you.
    Like I said, might never be an issue. It might have been a past issue that has already been adjusted. I have no idea how old the store demo was either.
    The fit was poor enough that it made me not want to buy it and wait for the Big Joe version in hopes the fit was better.
    Thank you for all the information.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I almost wish I didn't open this as well.  The food looks awesome both both @Dredger and @chrisc133.  Knowing me I would leave it sitting in the rain and I'm not sure how the motor would fare.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chrisc133
    Options
    I almost wish I didn't open this as well.  The food looks awesome both both @Dredger and @chrisc133.  Knowing me I would leave it sitting in the rain and I'm not sure how the motor would fare.  
    The motor slides in and out of the base...yeah, definitely remember to take that in! haha
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • HeavyG
    Options
    chrisc133 said:

Photo Egg said:
    Dredger said:

There's basically zero chance the Joetisserie is going to move around especially with the dome closed.

If I recall some of the posts over the past year on some KJ oriented forums part of the "sloppiness" of the fit was due to allowing for some size differences in the base (not all come out perfectly round/flat), rates of expansion of aluminum vs. ceramic, and alignment of domes/lids (not every kamado is going to be perfectly aligned) to allow for some wiggle room.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Dredger said:

http://www.onegrill.com/Universal_Rotisserie_Spit_Rod_Rotisserie_Baskets_s/129.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JMKYQA?keywords=fill it and grill it&qid=1455041030&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

what would you cook in a tumble basket vs flat basket?
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I don't have one ... I'm devastated.  Now, where's that GoFundMe site?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @Mickey, I get that, but I told hubby that I didn't care if it was $500, if it would work on the egg, I wanted it and badly. He spoils me terribly, lol. If someone is not a rotisserie lover, they probably won't understand. Heck, we have the AR with R&B combo, Grill Grates, Spider, various stones and racks, cast iron, and ........ In the overall scheme of things, $250 ain't that bad. After it's solo run, to us, it's well worth it. To us, it's an investment just like the egg.
    Looks good and interesting, but do they make one for the XL?  If so it will be $350 or more.  My son loves rotisserie chicken, but I can't justify that much when I can go buy one for about $6 at the store.  I know it can do more, but would be a while tell I got one.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • chrisc133
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Dredger said:

what would you cook in a tumble basket vs flat basket?
    I think a lot of things can be cooked in either..but I'm planning on wings and other things like vegetables.  I haven't used the tumble basket yet--but it's super well made.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:

There's basically zero chance the Joetisserie is going to move around especially with the dome closed.

If I recall some of the posts over the past year on some KJ oriented forums part of the "sloppiness" of the fit was due to allowing for some size differences in the base (not all come out perfectly round/flat), rates of expansion of aluminum vs. ceramic, and alignment of domes/lids (not every kamado is going to be perfectly aligned) to allow for some wiggle room.
    Like I said, I understand there is a need for some "slop" but this just seems very, very excessive, at least on the showroom model I saw.
    Have you cooked with one?
    I will be back to the store this weekend that sells the rotisserie and I will look at it again.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

Like I said, I understand there is a need for some "slop" but this just seems very, very excessive, at least on the showroom model I saw.
    I will be back to the store this weekend that sells the rotisserie and I will look at it again.
    Don't have one as I don't have a KJ Classic or Large Egg. When they release the one for the Big Joe later this year I'll definitely get one.

I'd have to look it up but I'm guessing the expansion of aluminum is much greater than the ceramic. If they make it too snug you risk cracking a base which would be far worse than just having some sloppiness in the fit when cold.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    You might be able to reduce some of the slop by running a Rutland gasket around the flange ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

Don't have one as I don't have a KJ Classic or Large Egg. When they release the one for the Big Joe later this year I'll definitely get one.

I'd have to look it up but I'm guessing the expansion of aluminum is much greater than the ceramic. If they make it too snug you risk cracking a base which would be far worse than just having some sloppiness in the fit when cold.
    Have you even "hands on" looked at the KJ Rotisserie on a ceramic cooker to base any of your comments above regarding the fit? Or are you just guessing based on photos and posts from others?
    chrisc133 and @Dredger are helpful because they have used and cooked with the product.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    This looks awesome!!!  Where did you purchase this awesome toy!
  • chrisc133
    Options
    This looks awesome!!!  Where did you purchase this awesome toy!
    We both got ours from Fireside Grills 

http://www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com/shop/accessories/kamado-joe-joetisserie/
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Eggaroo said:
    Maybe RTIC, Smokeware, or some other company can copy this design and sell it for 1/2 the cost of the Joetisserie.  =) Just sayin'...
    And would they mods allow the topic to stay on board?

• Dredger
    Options
    Sorry guys, I'll catch up in a few. Had to do something with that leftover chicken in the fridge.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    $250 Free shipping and no tax. Sounds fair.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    I have to admit this looks pretty cool - I had not seen this before. Thanks for sharing!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE