Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Superman and the Super Bowl.

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    It amazes me that we've come to a point, in this country, that if you're white and dislike someone of color you're automatically labeled a bigot and racist.
    Truth is the guy has a polarizing personality.  It's more of an old school vs. new school thing for me.  I liked football more when guys got out on the field and beat the tar out of one another but drank beer together afterwards.  You did your job to the best of your ability and let your play speak for itself.  It was about TEAM.....not "Look at me and my dance moves".  Gimmicks were for snake oil salesmen.  Now it's about being known as an individual so you can get endorsements and make $$ 1st....then team a distant 2nd.  Now days when someone makes a great play (or even average) they jump around like a carnival barker on crank.  It's a turn off for a lot of folks.....me included.  
    I was taught that you win as a team and lose as a team.  Cam's antics on the field and after the game say to me (and a lot of others) that Cam plays for Cam.  Maybe he'll grow out of it?!?!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • scottc454
    Options
    The issue isn't disliking Cam.  It's calling him a thug. If you think he's a thug, you either don't know what a thug is or need to take that sheet off your head. 

Vontaze Burrfict - thug
    Bill Romanowski - thug
    Cam Newton - not a thug
    Aqib Talib - kind of a thug 

He's cocky and everyone likes to see a cocky guy fail.  I don't see anything wrong with how he acted on Sunday, though.  Who cares if he walked out of an interview?  It wasn't like it was interesting.  You missed questions like "was it tough playing under all that pressure?"

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My respect for Cam as a person is pretty thin since that "African-American Quarterback" crap he was selling.  In the days of Doug Williams, Warren Moon & maybe even Randall Cunningham I could see that comment being relevant. 

If a white point guard in the NBA made similar comments, he would get roasted.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    @Foghorn , I wish I could agree and like your comment.  You're right, the article is deeper than face value.  My rub is with some of the comments like "thug", "hooligan", "scam", and even "boy".  However, lets face it, Peyton doesn't have an empty closet, which I know you know.  Some of it is self inflicted, but there are deeper issues than what some shed light on.....

Fair enough @tarheelmatt.  I was going to add to my previous post that those whose views are most influenced by racism can usually be identified by their verbiage.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     The article by Shaun King is not completely factual. At least not here in the greater NY area. Sports talk radio and most pundits based here skewered Manning for his walk off after the Superbowl loss vs Saints. This was expounded upon again today on the Boomer(Esiason) and Carton(Craig) Show on WFAN when that article was mentioned.

As far as the college sexual harrassment deal? I think it went mostly under the radar and time has healed that wound. It was stupid and crass. The only defense beying young and stupid. Peyton has definately not shown this side of him in a very long time, so it is forgiven. Cam can recover from this negative reaction by being a bigger man in the future. I think he is smart enough to at least try to fix his public perception. It would make life easier and endorsement $$ grow significantly. And as a leader of Men, taking the heat and deflecting the credit is usually the way to go. Makes teamates want to play hard for you.

The black QB thing is really no longer relevent.(at least to MOST society) We have had black QBs win Superbowls. Win league MVP awards. Make the Hall of Fame! Cam is just a young talented QB with some things to learn, both on the field and off.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • WyBBQer
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    If Cam was a thug he would've jumped on his fumble instead of tiptoeing away from the ball... A punk maybe, but definitely not a thug... Brady is more of a thug than Newton.
    That fumble and Cam's reaction almost looked like he reacted to the fact that his lineman was lunging for it and he was anticipating for it to come forward.  Very weird play and reaction for sure.  

I thought it was weird that others indicate his ability of a QB.  The same dominance was done to Brady two weeks prior.  But then those others comments are "well, he's won four Super Bowls and that's okay".  No, it isn't okay and that's not a great statement to apply to the scenario.  Again, there lye the double standard, read the article above, and he's scrutinized on every little thing.  
    Don't mind the disagree @WyBBQer , but would like to know what you disagree on?  The obvious double standard?  
    I disagree bringing double standard up, especially when racial innuendo are also present.  We live in such a time of PC that I don't like it.  As far as my disagreement of this statement goes, I live in Bronco Country and I personally saw Brady shutdown, locally he was demoralized and ripped to shreds, But what I saw on the field and is a class act in getting stopped and He took responsibility of His actions, another difference and a big difference is that Brady has earned the right to brag.  Now for Cam I would like to see this very talented YOUNG player mature to be everything He thought he was, and if he does that I would welcome Him to the Broncos even.  Lets not feed more into the PC and Racial sh it then there already is.  Okay I took the bait.

1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    WyBBQer said:

I disagree bringing double standard up, especially when racial innuendo are also present.  We live in such a time of PC that I don't like it.  As far as my disagreement of this statement goes, I live in Bronco Country and I personally saw Brady shutdown, locally he was demoralized and ripped to shreds, But what I saw on the field and is a class act in getting stopped and He took responsibility of His actions, another difference and a big difference is that Brady has earned the right to brag.  Now for Cam I would like to see this very talented YOUNG player mature to be everything He thought he was, and if he does that I would welcome Him to the Broncos even.  Lets not feed more into the PC and Racial sh it then there already is.  Okay I took the bait.

So riddle me this, didn't Cam congratulate Peyton on the field?  Cam answered the questions and took ownership of how the "team" played?  Yes, emphasis on team.  Cam, who folks claim is immature, didn't say his O line failed him nor his receivers missed balls.  They, team, simply didn't play to the intensity of the Broncos, period.  

Again, why say Brady has the right to brag?  Why can't someone else brag?  Isn't a Heisman trophy winner a great honor?  Isn't a college national championship winner an accomplishment?  Isn't leading a team without a top tier WR an accomplishment?  

So in your words, since Peyton won one SB, it was okay for him to walk off the field after losing to the Saints?  You know, because he's earned and stuff.... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited February 2016
    Options

Ah, well.
    The mods have decided. 

Discussing the truths about the OP's comments and "bringing double standard up . . . when racial innuendo are also present" (WTF?!  :o) is a little
    too  Off Topic for their purposes.

It's their party, so . . .
    Back to spatchcocks.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• tarheelmatt
    Options

Ah, well.
    The mods have decided.  

Discussing the truth in "this day and age" and "bringing double standard up . . . when racial innuendo are also present" (WTF?!  :o ) is a little
    tooooo Off Topic.

Back to spatchcocks.

What's the big deal about bridging mankind these days anyway?  Hey the Broncos won and he watched it.  To hell with double standards.... 

Now, what should I cook tonight!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WyBBQer
    Options

So riddle me this, didn't Cam congratulate Peyton on the field?  Cam answered the questions and took ownership of how the "team" played?  Yes, emphasis on team.  Cam, who folks claim is immature, didn't say his O line failed him nor his receivers missed balls.  They, team, simply didn't play to the intensity of the Broncos, period.  

Again, why say Brady has the right to brag?  Why can't someone else brag?  Isn't a Heisman trophy winner a great honor?  Isn't a college national championship winner an accomplishment?  Isn't leading a team without a top tier WR an accomplishment?  

So in your words, since Peyton won one SB, it was okay for him to walk off the field after losing to the Saints?  You know, because he's earned and stuff.... 
    WOW so that is what you got out of my answer, I am so sorry Mat that I am such a poor communicator but I leave this alone, because I do not know you other than the respect I have for your egging, I would rather end on that.
    Thanks
    1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    This:

"It’s bigger than race," Newton said. "It’s more so opening up a door for guys that don’t want to be labeled."

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    A young dude having fun in the no fun league
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    A young dude having fun in the no fun league
    Out of all the crap I have spewed Jason and I'm sure most is tired of me posting crap, you summed my thoughts up exactly in that short sentence.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sardonicus
    edited February 2016
    Options

Everyone is 'allowed' to be themselves.  And without pretense, too.

Thing is, there are costs for certain levels of self-expressive derring-do.  It depends upon your . . .  um . . . caste.

(Those costs are often levied by the same folks who are hyper-quick to proclaim that there are no costs.)

:| 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I think too many comparisons are being made between cam and peyton. 

Compare cam's actions to this guy. 

http://m.thepostgame.com/men-action/201602/luke-kuechly-panthers-tough-loss-super-bowl-50-interview-video

Or even this guy (this one is heartbreaking but honest)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4694203-josh-norman-crying-emotion-cam-newton-panthers-super-bowl-50

Little Rock, AR

• Sardonicus
    Options

Everyone is 'allowed' to be themselves.  And without pretense, too.

Thing is, there are costs for certain levels of self-expressive derring-do.  It depends on your . . .  um . . . caste.

(Those costs are often levied by the same folks who are hyper-quick to proclaim that there are no costs.)

:| 

You don't have to take my word for it.  Ask Beyonce.

I just don't understand why Those People won't just stay in their place!
     B) 

• Sardonicus
    Options
    I think too many comparisons are being made between cam and peyton. 

Compare cam's actions to this guy. 

http://m.thepostgame.com/men-action/201602/luke-kuechly-panthers-tough-loss-super-bowl-50-interview-video

Or even this guy (this one is heartbreaking but honest)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4694203-josh-norman-crying-emotion-cam-newton-panthers-super-bowl-50

Yep, that's a legit and reasonable perspective.

• Sardonicus
    edited February 2016
    Options

Great interview.  That was a Grown Man speaking.
    That was a grown man successfully defying the best efforts of those attempting to define him as less.

• CtTOPGUN
    Options
     It is too bad that this Forum, as well as a lot of society, can not have a civil discussion of a topic that includes racial bias. It is sinking. For some reason we are afraid of broaching the topic. I know my sports views were shaped by the Men that coached me. Unfortunately that long list only included one black Man. Therefore my own views probably lean towards tradsitional(and white) thoughts. I try to ignore color. But I am aware that it does always exist. Whether reality or perception. Most people favor those like them, or that do things like them.  I try to keep an open mind as difficult as it is. Sometimes I succeed. Other times I am sure I fail to understand another view.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

Jim
  • Sardonicus
    edited February 2016
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     . . .I know my sports views were shaped by the Men that coached me. Unfortunately that long list only included one black Man. Therefore my own views probably lean towards tradsitional(and white) thoughts. . . .

Jim

You know, Jim - I'm not so sure that the basic elements of sports' traditions can be defined as white or non-white.

I'd be interested to hear how the traditions displayed/taught by your one black coach were different from the others on "that long list".

Thanks -

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    How many African American people were pulling for Peyton? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Cam.jpg 99.7K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    How many African American people were pulling for Peyton? 
    Zero. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The buffalo has struck. Imagine that.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CtTOPGUN
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     . . .I know my sports views were shaped by the Men that coached me. Unfortunately that long list only included one black Man. Therefore my own views probably lean towards tradsitional(and white) thoughts. . . .

Jim

You know, Jim - I'm not so sure that the basic elements of sports' traditions can be defined as white or non-white.

I'd be interested to hear how the traditions displayed/taught by your one black coach were different from the others on "that long list".

Thanks -

Sports traditions are certainly shared by most athletes no matter color. Playing football from Pop Warner thru high school the rules really discouraged individuality. This promoted team concepts. Most of these football teams were mixed racially, but heavier on white members due to location. When I gave up football and played college basketball, the racial profile changed to greater than 50% black. I don't remember any of my teamates(and very few opponants) that had the "look at me" showboat mindset that I see in today's NFL. (and NBA/NCAA hoop to a slightly lesser degree). So maybe it is more a product of the times than of race.

John Washington was my first and only black head coach. This was as a 12 year old. My 5th year of organized tackle football. His teachings were not really any different than any of my white coaches. My lament was that I was not exposed to more diverse mentors. Things may have been the same. They may have been different in ways. I know that on certain issues I have had lengthy conversations with black men and there are some things I will never truly understand not having walked in their shoes. I try. I like to think I am open to learning. But life's experiences have been different for me than for some others. Especially if from different cultures. So, like in politics, we may see things differently. Since I coach high school athgletes currently, I like to stay up on the sentiment of the athletes, the sponsors and the public. It helps me shape the young athlete's future. I want that to be as positive as I can make it.

Jim