Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I may have a coffee problem.

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Grind my own.....single cup brew here at my house. Wife takes her caffeine via the Mountain Dew. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I brew a pot and drink it everyday.  The problem is I use five scoops to make it.
    What's the problem? Five scoops per pot makes a weak coffee, but some people like it that way.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I cant stand Tim Hortons, to me its like coffee water, its so weak.

We don't drink coffee that much. I only have 1 on my way to work and only in the winters.  SWMBO has started the Keurig thing but doesn't like them like I do.

I have  Keurig and I only get the extra bold ones and I add a hint of sugar to cut the usual bitterness. Anything less for me is weak.

I bought a Nespresso for my wife as she WAS into Lattes etc. She doesn't use it anymore and we had a bunch of pods left so I have been brewing a couple pods, (Lungo Style,) into my Yeti for the ride into work.

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Dark roast, burr grinder and French press for me. No cream or sugar. I love coffee.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just curious, am I the only one still using a percolator? I still have a old Pyrex Dripolator as well.  

Nope @SGH we're still OG coffee percolator at our home. We looked at getting a fancy fancy unit but, bottom line ours works and I like it strong & black. Also have an espresso machine that gets used occasionally. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Mom told me if I was going to learn to drink coffee then I should learn to drink it black.  Just another in a long list of sound advise.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Mom told me if I was going to learn to drink coffee then I should learn to drink it black.  Just another in a long list of sound advise.
    Same advice for chocolate.  If you say you're a chocolate lover, you need to eat dark, not milk.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just curious, am I the only one still using a percolator? I still have a old Pyrex Dripolator as well.  
    I remember my parents had an electric percolator.  They then had the one that brewed straight into an insulated pot, and are now at the K cup stage.
    Member since 2009
    Options
    I've dropped artificial creamers and white sugar in my K cup brew.  I'm down to a half teaspoon of raw turbinado sugar per cup.  We have varieties of K cups. 
    Member since 2009
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    500 said:
    Same advice for chocolate.  If you say you're a chocolate lover, you need to eat dark, not milk.

And never white. It isn't even real chocolate.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Grind my own.....single cup brew here at my house. Wife takes her caffeine via the Mountain Dew. 
    I used to only have Mtn. Dew or Coke for breakfast, never coffee. Now it is coffee every day, sometimes two to three times per day since I had to give up sugar-filled soft drinks.
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    I've been making my own creamer lately. 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk + 16oz half & half + 2(ish) teaspoons of hazelnut extract/oil in the blender for 30 sec. It's awesome! It's actually milk unlike the Coffeemate crap that's not even from dairy and it tastes really good. My wife loves it too! 
    And since I've been cutting back on the sugar in my coffee anyway it's perfect with a couple spoons of this and no sugar. 
    Give it a try! 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am halfway to work and my coffee is gone. Now that's a coffee problem.
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Dark roast, burr grinder and French press for me. No cream or sugar. I love coffee.
    Sub light roast in for dark roast and you get my daily process. We will occasionally grab a darker roast to mix it up but definitely prefer the light.

Got a auto drip coffee pot for our wedding, tried it for a week, it now lives in the closet and only comes out when we have company and need volume.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    French press makes good coffee.  Auto drip can also make good coffee.  Problem is that most of the manufacturers have gotten into the price war approach to selling their product.  Almost all of the drip machines available do not produce the proper temperature of water for really good brewing.  Costs more to make a drip machine that produces the proper temperature of water. Last time I bought a drip machine there were only two manufacturers making machines for home use that had the proper brew temp (and one has since moved it facilities and has cheapened up the internal workings).  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    I really like the simplicity of a French press and the ability to see all of the internal bits. I'm always afraid that the inside of a auto drip is all funky mildewy or something. Hot water and plastics also sketch me out.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Lit said:
    I am halfway to work and my coffee is gone. Now that's a coffee problem.
    Yes, that is a problem.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    i for one can't stand the stuff in any form except around Christmas with the blends that are mainly milk, flavourings and sugar. I don't know if I've ever had a full cup of the normal stuff??? can't stand it, but I do like the smell in the mornings
  • Lit
    Options
    Anyone try the ninja coffee bar thing? I have been watching videos on the french press but it seems like work.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I never drank coffee until about 4yrs ago when I went to Brazil for work.  These people are serious about their espresso. Every factory that we went to they offered "coffee"(espresso). I was told that they offer coffee like we shake hands, it's a sign of friendship.  That trip got me hooked so I got an espresso machine to sit beside my wife's coffee maker. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I never drank coffee until about 4yrs ago when I went to Brazil for work.  These people are serious about their espresso. Every factory that we went to they offered "coffee"(espresso). I was told that they offer coffee like we shake hands, it's a sign of friendship.  That trip got me hooked so I got an espresso machine to sit beside my wife's coffee maker. 

That looks like a nice setup. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    French Press, 5:3 ratio of DDBB and Dark French Roast. My Beautiful Wife and I drink the pot, every morning, and it is always delicious.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    French Press, 5:3 ratio of DDBB and Dark French Roast. My Beautiful Wife and I drink the pot, every morning, and it is always delicious.

I went and bought a French press today. It says 1 scoop of coffee per cup of water is that about right? 
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Yes.  Scoop being 2 Tbls. and a cup being 6 oz. Water 200º. Brew for 5 minutes.  Thats the basics.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Lit said:
    YukonRon said:

I went and bought a French press today. It says 1 scoop of coffee per cup of water is that about right? 
    Use very coarse ground coffee. 1scoop per cup would likely work. That is a little light for us. We use 7 to 8 scoops/pot. Boiling water, stir, and let steep for 4-5 minutes. Press then Pour through a small (fine) kitchen strainer, into the cup, if you do not like sediment. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @Mattman3969 we make white russians using espresso. Talk about a kick. Great after a couple, er, 6 beers. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• epcotisbest
    Options
    My kcups are kinda weak. I don't even know what a white russian is.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I just looked it up. Don't drink. Never, ever tried vodka. I'll stick with coffee.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited February 2016
    Options
    White russian is vodka, milk and kahlaua but we some times add espresso for an extra kick. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• epcotisbest
    Options
    White russian is vodka, milk and kahlaua but we some times add espresso for an extra kick.

Sounds awful.