Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I may have a coffee problem.

OK, so it is kcups and not real coffee, but I like my coffee weak. I also have to add creamer. My wife says I have a little coffee with my cup full of creamer. I am a little concerned about the artificial ingredients in the creamer but giving up the sugar was the real hard part. I do like variety as you can tell by the photo.

Comments

• Haha. I just bought 7 lbs of the Starbucks Christmas blend...I'm with you there 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Trying to wean off sugar myself...rough. Straight up coffee is pretty good. While I love the convenience of Kcups a good grinder for beans is so much better. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I would say I have more of a tea problem.  I will have to take a picture of my pantry when I get home.  I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning on weekdays, but drink hot or iced tea almost every day.  My brother is a district manager for the Chicago area for Teavana so he is always giving me new teas to try.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• chrisc133 said:
    Haha. I just bought 7 lbs of the Starbucks Christmas blend...I'm with you there 
    I just bought 15 pounds of the same blend. Super deal.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I brew a pot and drink it everyday.  The problem is I use five scoops to make it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • You are OK, if they were Irish coffees you might have a problem. Years ago, when on the six to eight cup habit and gaining a little middle aged weight, I decided to drop the sugar and cream. For Canucks, giving up the Timmy's double double was not easy, but to echo a rather politically incorrect phrase of the day, once you try black you'll never go back...

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Sounds more like a creamer problem.

Have you tried more natural choices like almond milk?  My wife also adds coffee to her milk and uses unsweetened vanilla almond milk that she puts in a frother like this:

Capresso frothPRO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LXY2HA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_sylUwbCHN4QSZ

It has cold and warm settings, works well.  A bit of real milk and it gets even thicker, still much healthier than creamer.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    You really should buy one of the refillable cups . I have one for my keurig and it saves me a ton of money.

if you aren't aure what I'm talking about, I can post a picture of it
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    slovelad said:
    You really should buy one of the refillable cups . I have one for my keurig and it saves me a ton of money.

if you aren't aure what I'm talking about, I can post a picture of it
    I have one of those and do use it some with some Kenya AA beans I grind myself, but I usually wind up using the French press when I grind my own. Guess I am a lazy coffee maker and mostly prefer the ease of the kcup.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    I have similar issue and two years ago went to one pack of sweet and low per cup instead of sugar and splash of half and half.  Once you get used to it, it isn't bad and while I'm aware of the evils of artificial sweeteners, that with more exercise and better food choices and my A1c has fallen from 7.4 to 5.8.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I brew a pot and drink it everyday.  The problem is I use five scoops to make it.
    You need a bigger scoop. I took one from an old protein container I would guess it's about half a cup. Works great.
  • I got 99 problems, but coffee ain't one. 
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    edited February 2016
    Wife bought me a nespresso virtuline for Christmas (in place of the 5k expresso maker I wanted).  The thing is pretty legit, certainly at least equal to Starbucks, but now I have a coffee problem too, as I need at least 2 shots of expresso a day!

• saluki2007
    So I forgot to take one during my lunch. But here is my tea collection so far. Yes each tin has something in it. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• epcotisbest
    So I forgot to take one during my lunch. But here is my tea collection so far. Yes each tin has something in it. 

Now that is a nice setup. Thanks for sharing the pic.
  • epcotisbest
    J-dubya said:
    Wife bought me a nespresso virtuline for Christmas (in place of the 5k expresso maker I wanted).  The thing is pretty legit, certainly at least equal to Starbucks, but now I have a coffee problem too, as I need at least 2 shots of expresso a day!

I looked at one of these but decided the capsules were a bit too pricey.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I brew a pot (OG Style) and prefer it Black. On rare occasion a touch of turbinado sugar. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Kona coffee is our weekend vice around the he house. During the week it's whatever, but the weekends always have Kona. 

I dont see a coffe problem with the pic. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    J-dubya said:

I looked at one of these but decided the capsules were a bit too pricey.

Ya, that's the one I have, capsules are really expensive. There are going to be aftermarket ones at some point. 
  • saluki2007
    @epcotisbest Thanks. We bought them from amazon. We two that size on one wall and two bigger ones on the other side in our pantry. 

Whitmor 6054-268 Supreme Bakers Rack, Chrome and Wood https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014QS1XC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_JpuUwbYZD5DSJ

Whitmor 6060-267 Supreme 5-Tier Shelves, Chrome https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BDP674/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_AquUwb2PRN5B2
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Kona coffee is our weekend vice around the he house. During the week it's whatever, but the weekends always have Kona. 

I dont see a coffe problem with the pic. 
    My brother recently visited Hawaii and sent me back 5 (2 lb) bags of Kona beans. Been loving life.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Yeah creamer thing is no good. I splurged on a breville espresso machine with the burr grinder. I drink long blacks, basically espresso and hot water. A couple doubles in the morning maybe a single at night. No adding anything 0 calories.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Just curious, am I the only one still using a percolator? I still have a old Pyrex Dripolator as well.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Man, I was up to ordering freshly roasted beans from Sweet Maria's, and I was considering buying a roaster and roasting my own. I was into weighing the beans and measuring the filtered water and all that stuff.

And then the heart flutterings at night started getting worse, and then I started getting them during the day. And although I only drank one 20oz travel mug a day, and only in the morning, I had to give up my exotic brews and switch to decaf.

Decaf is not really coffee, it is just an excuse to drink something hot and brown in the morning. But if you have to drink decaf, McDonalds brand is actually pretty decent. For decaf.
  • epcotisbest
    SGH said:
    Just curious, am I the only one still using a percolator? I still have a old Pyrex Dripolator as well.  
    Never tried a percolator.
  • SGH
    The coffee is much stronger out of a percolator than from a press or drip. At one time, percolators and dripolators where about your only option.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• epcotisbest
    SGH said:
    The coffee is much stronger out of a percolator than from a press or drip. At one time, percolators and dripolators where about your only option.  
    I vaguely remember one at my grandparents house when I was a kid. Seems like it had a glass knob on top of the lid and you could see the percolating.
  • SGH
    I vaguely remember one at my grandparents house when I was a kid. Seems like it had a glass knob on top of the lid and you could see the percolating.
    You are correct about the glass knob. The new electric percolators do a fantastic job and take most of the work out that is associated with the traditional stove top models.  

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    We use percolators when camping - strong brew.