Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My trailer smoker has started being built!

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    @Thatgrimguy - where will you be cooking this weekend? Perhaps I can persuade the wife to take a road trip...
    New Orleans LA
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    That's a good looking cooker grim. Can't wait to see it in person someday. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited February 2016
    Dondgc said:
    @Thatgrimguy - where will you be cooking this weekend? Perhaps I can persuade the wife to take a road trip...
    @Dondgc  Algiers. With Nola and SGH tomorrow.  Fat Tuesday in Biloxi for Parade. Corner or Howard and Seal ave.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Brother Grimm, I sent you a PM.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Just ow. This sucks.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Ugh...what happened?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Did the hitch pin come out? That sucks, man.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Wow- this really sucks. I hate what happened to your brand new toy as I know how much you, and the rest of the collective group, have been looking forward to seeing this one in action.

I can only imagine how crushed you are right now but, on the only bright side I can think of, in 5 or 20 years when the pain slowly begins to fade you will have a great story. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • No say this isn't true...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • What a beautiful setup.  I hope there was only minor scrapes and bruises to the new rig.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    NOOOOOooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope that it was relatively minor!  I see the one front support wheel and it looks like the one burner is banged up, but it could have been a lot worse.  At least it did not flip!!!

Sorry man. That is all I can say...  sorry to see that.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Please keep us posted. Hope there isn't much damage.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm glad no one was hurt. Hoping your pit has a speedy recovery
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @Thatgrimguy  My heart is hurting for you. This SUCKS. Hope you can get her up and still make it to the event today. Wish I was closer as we would bring the ladder truck out and help you get it back on the road. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Yeah I definitely cried. No one was hurt. Looks like the trailer pin worked  itself out. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Owchy ow owwww owwcchh
    Great news about Tyler- that's why you do business with people that understand great customer service. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Damn dude so sorry this happened. Just thank god no one was hurt. Could have been so much worse then scratched paint.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited February 2016
    I made it home... I can't tell ya'll how lucky/blessed I am. This could have been horrible and it's going to be like it never happened within 48 hours.  Had it happened a couple minutes earlier it the trailer would be in Lake Pontchartrain right now. Had it happened 20 minutes later it could have caused an incredible wreck in NOLA traffic. Where it happened it just pulled itself over to the side of the road. Amazing.

I have a few ideas to make sure it never happens again. Starting with a locking pin. (i'm also going to add a 2nd locking pin and have secondary safety cables connected to the trailer in addition to the ones on the removable tongue.

I got to say on the construction of this thing... ITS A TANK. It hit a side wall coming off a RV going 70mph. Outside of some paint, 2 new jack stands and 2 new burners and a slightly curbed up rim. It's like it never happened.

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    That first picture made me think it was stolen .... Broken and scratched parts can be fixed and they add character.  Still a great looking rig man! 
    Hermosa Beach CA 

• Oh man that sucks! Glad to hear it wasn't any major damage. Hats off to Tyler for getting you fixed up.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Ugh.  I can only imagine how sick you must have felt.  I'm glad Tyler can get you fixed up.  This has been quite a rollercoaster ride for you.  Best of luck Grim.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited February 2016
    Grim I can't fukking believe what I'm seeing. That makes me sick for you. First and foremost, I'm glad that you and your family are ok. But that still sucks. Have you considered a swing away tongue instead of a removable? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I am sure I would not have been so level-headed had it happened to me (not that it ever will).  Hope it is restored to new condition with time for your various events on the schedule.  Dang is a polite way of expression.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Perspective....it will all work out glad it was all minimal. Material....it will get fixed up and back up and running. Thanks for sharing!
    Seattle, WA
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    DAm dude. Im sorry you have had to experience this. I know I would be livid!!!!! 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2016
    Good golly!  That could have been crazy bad.  I'd turn that locking "pin" into a BOLT.  Welded.  Sure do love the rig, though!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    edited February 2016
    As a future lawyer, my first thought was "who installed the tounge?"

now even knowing these people will take care of you. I can't help but wonder whose fault it was.

but I'm really glad evryone is ok. And I'm glad you were smoking a bunch of briskets on the road, not that would have been Devistating