Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Forum terms defined please.

Options
Last nights now deceased "Debate" thread has caused me to ponder the definitions of some commonly used forum terminology. 
1.   Just what is Buffaloed?  Is that when a thread is no longer allowed to be bumped to the top of the latest posts, or is it when it gets totally zapped,  i.e. the "Debate" thread?
2.   Is being sunk the same as buffaloed or is it the precursor to the full buffalo?  Or are the two mutually exclusive?
3.   Does causing a thread to be buffaloed have repercussions for the instigator of the buffalo?  If so, what are the levels of being buffaloed?  None? Time-out? Banishment?  Does anyone have any guidelines here?
4.   Does it do anything when you "Follow" someone?  I thought I could use that to find the posts of members I wanted to read, however not everyone I have "Followed" is listed in my "Follow" list.  And when I see their list of posts, I can't click on them and go there.  So what is its use?
5.   And lastly, I think "Powered by Vanilla" should be changed to "Powered by Bland".  Vanilla is a flavor and the flavor is quickly disappearing from Friday nights.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @FarmerTom - All of your questions are those many have and would appreciate answers.  That said, I will only offer what I have observed by the way the forum reacts/responds.
    1. Buffaloed-  to me means gone and to be forgotten-no easily traceable record of the highly intelligent and entertaining commentary.
    2. Sunk- no longer able to surface to the top of the active thread list.  Can be found and will accept comments but always going lower in the thread food-chain.  
    3. No comment on the line between sunk and buffaloed.  But usually a thread gets handled with only one major penalty-sunk or buffaloed.
    Regarding the recipient of the buffalo penalty flag-no clue to whom that is awarded although sometimes it is obvious based on the language or posted pics/threads of the flag winner.
    4. No idea with the "Following" deal.
    5.  No comment.
    And all the above are personal opinions and we all know what those are worth-regardless, have a great Saturday PM and weekend.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Know clue what you mean by "following" people. I just click on "home" or "active posts" and see those that are active. Never even seen this follow feature. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @FarmerTom - Brother Farmer, as the fellow who started the use of "buffalo" or "buffaloed", I have always used it ambiguously. Thus, it applies to both, at least on my part when used. However for clarity, when a thread will no longer bump, I use the the phrase "The buffalo has struck". When it is deleted, I use the term "It has went the way of the buffalo". 
    As far as repercussions for enticing the buffalo, it depends on the offense. If you do something that draws negative attention to BGE, the penalty can be severe. Example- My slaughter thread was food related, however a few folks complained of the brutality of it. As such, it sank with no repercussions towards me as I had permission to post it. On the other hand, MikeHaucheritz drawled direct attention to BGE it's self with his vulgarity and filth. A reflection of their site if you will. As such, the user himself was buffaloed. 
    Also there seems to be a trend in buffaloing topics that are religious or political in nature. In the politically correct world that we live in, sadly this trend will probably continue with the passage of time. Personally I don't care what anyone posts. I'm a big boy and can chose to read it or not. However a lot of folks get their little feelings hurt and cry like a school yard sissy to the moderators/buffalo. As such, he strikes to make amends for the offended.  
    There has certainly been things posted on the forum that I do not condone or like. However I simply ignore it or try to make a fool out of the person who posted it. Just depends on my mood at the time. However, as of late I have tried to stay out of the bashing all together be it political, religious, or cooler related. Why? Because I turned a lot of folks against me. Even though I did it in fun or jest, I offended several folks who actually liked me at one time. My Yeti songs really hit a cord with several people.
    As such, since New Years I have went back to solely answering questions and posting cooks. I still cut up and carry on, but I have refrained from singling out democrats, yeti owners and Muslims. I still hate them all, and I always will. I just chose to let them be. 
    At the end of the day, this forum belongs to BGE. They can run it any way that they see fit. As such, the buffalo will remain ever watchful and ready to strike at will. Just some random thoughts on my part my friend. May the Thunder Gods keep us all in their good grace and the buffalo quietly pass us by..............

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For all of the above reasons this forum pretty much sucks anymore. Q is Q and we all share that passion. But, now Friday's are like the night of the walking dead!  Ever since first JIC & then Nola had their winky's slapped (not by each other either mind you)!  So now it's a PC BBQ forum? :confounded: Either way the only reason this all started (at least this is my firm belief) is because one or more people got their panties all in a bunch and began writing letters (emails).  It used to be we'd self police ourselves and flag etc. The t-shirt etc peddlers knew better than to try to creep in. We took care of our own. Somewhere that's been lost.   Now it's a kinder gentler forum. You can keep it!  And as my good bud once said before getting banned. You can go Fu¢k yourself if you don't like it!  I fully expect the crowd that believe in pu$$y ass participation trophies to write more emails. It's their nature. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Chubbs , if I click on your name, it takes me to your profile page.  I can see some info about you, posts, discussions, if you are online.  On the right, under the forum description, there is a message box where I can send you a private message not displayed on the forum.  And beside that is a box that says "Follow".  You will notice under your forum pic, it says you have 8 people following you, but it only lists 6.  What this means is absolutely foreign to me.  I can't see that it means anything, however it is there and you have 8 people following you for some reason that I fail to comprehend.  No offence to you, I just fail to understand the purpose of this option.

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    If Blake is bugged that's a sure fire signal that things have gone too far.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Thanks for your explanation SGH.  I haven't put the effort into this forum that you and many others have.  I have really enjoyed (when I had time) reading the BBQ info and getting entertained at the same time.  Some of the threads have been more amusing than any movie I could have payed to see.  That "Devastated" thread this spring was classic.  Some of you folks are on a plain way above me.  I never got around to posting as there were always 10 new pages of hilariousness to read.
       It is sad that some can't just skip over what they don't like, but feel so self-righteous that they are compelled to force their morals/likes/beliefs on everyone else.  I understand there may be kids reading this stuff, but if that is the rationale, then folks best stay glued to those kids side, cause this is nothing compared to what is easily accessible in spite of any filters/blockers.
      But that seems to be the American way these days.  He who screams the loudest gets the attention, right or wrong.  

Tommy 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    What?! Points mean nothing? I thought they were like frequent flier miles... ;)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH- I have no issues with the difference between sunk and buffaloed.  (I spent many years making sure the surfaced piece of the equation always equaled the sunk side ;) ).  Given the once near extinct state of the buffalo I appreciate its exalted standing on the forum-as it should be.  

To try and put the randomness of the lightening buffalo strikes into perspective-I saw a thread commenting on the challenges FedEx was having meeting delivery commitments buffaloed-no posts off-track and no four letter words or pics contained within the dialog.  Underwear in a knot I guess.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    What?! Points mean nothing? I thought they were like frequent flier miles... ;)
    No kidding.  @henapple told me they could be exchanged for sexual "favors".  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - I guess you and @henapple will have to take this way off-line at butt blast.  Sounds fitting  ;)

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I guess you and @henapple will have to take this way off-line at butt blast.  Sounds fitting  ;)

All I know is that at Salado he offered to trade me some of his forum points if I could lend him a hand, so to speak.   Glad I didn't believe him - dodged a bullet there!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here is the thing, and it is simply this. It is a guessing game, when it comes to what or when the Buffalo roams. Dumping a topic with a thread, yeah I get it. Banning someone, what is the point? Ban me, fine, but I will not change. Nor do I think most others on here will either.
    There are a couple of azzhats on here, and I am one, I am sure, but generally we all get along and lookout for one another. 
    When the tirades are done, we are big enough to move along and try and have some fun on another thread food or fallacy. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    tldr
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Pqwg