Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curing 200+ pounds of pork 3 different ways. Dry cure, wet cure and salt only cure.

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    bob.bud said:

@darby_crenshaw, you my friend, should teach a class to free the paranoid from their fear of food. 
    If you read his posts with an open mind, the class is here, although disjointed. I know he's saved me some time/money with stuff I would have thrown out. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    @SGH my apology for threadjacking!

I propose a new forum handle for @Darby_Crenshaw ... @Doctor_Cure ;)
    canuckland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH my apology for threadjacking!
    No need for a apology my friend. I'm the guiltiest person on the forum when it comes to hijacking. I'm a professional at it ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    although thermometers and hygrometers aren't anything new, they likely didn't measure anyway.  
    Most of the time my grandfather did not measure temp or humidity. The closest I ever came to seeing him measure humidity was in the late winter when he was salt curing hams. While he could not get a actual "percent" or number reading, he gauged the humidity and his next step in the curing process by how much water built up on the glass windows when the inside of the house was 70 degrees. Crude? Absolutley it is. But it worked for him. I don't even pretend to know how he made his determination. But I saw him do this many times when I was a young lad. I never asked him, but looking back I wish that I would have, he only done this when salting hams. He never concerned himself with it that I remember for anything else. I know that he had a reason, I just don't know what it was. And all kidding aside, the above is honestly true about him reading the water on the windows. It's not some of my made up horseplay.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    @SGH gotta love how our elders did things in the bygone days ... you just reminded me of my mom making homebrewed sticky rice wine, to test for level of fermentation she would stick a lit candle near/over the pot and see how fast the flame extinguished!
    canuckland
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @SGH gotta love how our elders did things in the bygone days ... 
    Agreed^^^^^^^. All this has me thinking and reminiscing about some of the stuff I remember seeing my grandfather do. I'm going to do some research and ask some of the old timers that I know about the window/water trick. It was always this month and next month that I helped my grandfather. Sure wish I could see the old rascal just one more time. I really miss him to this day. Like myself, he was a uneducated man. But he could have written volumes (if he would have knew how to write) on meat processing and curing and held his own with even the most respected meat processors and curists. 

Status- Standing by.

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Scottie, you seem pretty educated to me....
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • SGH
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    Scottie, you seem pretty educated to me....
    Brother that's mighty kind of you and I really appreciate it. But I have never tried to hide the fact that I left school in the 9th grade. I probably project a illusion of being educated because i possess a decent working knowledge of breaking and processing meat. However the truth is, the little that I know comes from hands on experience and years of working with meat and out of redundancy. I have no formal training or education at all my friend. Pretty much everything that I can do (and it's not really that much) comes from working with my grandfather when I was a kid. When the other kids were playing sports or games, I was forced to cut meat or help with the slaughter. Not that I'm complaining, quite the contrary, but I had a rough start in life. Things didn't turn good for me until I was in my late 30's. Most of things that I do know a little about is because i spent years actually doing them as a child. By the time I was 10, I had already slaughtered more hogs and goats than most people will slaughter in their entire life. We all have certain strengths and weaknesses. I can help people with breaking and processing meat simply because I have a lifetime of experience doing it. Not a education though my friend. But again, I truly appreciate the very kind and thoughtful words my brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    unfortunately the buffalo has struck the slaughter thread. Must have been little steven's salad tossing that did it.

Disappoint

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

"@darby_crenshaw, you my friend, should teach a class to free the paranoid from their fear of food"

He has been. On here. For 10 years. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Yeah, that one ended up coming off the rails.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah, that one ended up coming off the rails.
    I do have it bookmarked to get the "imitation calamari" recipe though.

• SGH
    Options
    I can't believe that they buffaloed my slaughter thread. Should I post another one?

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I can't believe that they buffaloed my slaughter thread. Should I post another one?

It's totally Little Steven and Stike's fault. If they didn't get in their little lovers spat I think all the other stuff was fine.
  • SGH
    Options
    I do have it bookmarked to get the "imitation calamari" recipe though.

It irritates me that they buffaloed my slaughter thread. You have to admit, it was very unique and informative to say the least.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Fellows I just discovered that it wasn't the imitation calamari that got my slaughter thread buffaloed. A few people complained about the head shot and the cut throat pics. Oh well. I forewarned of graphic images in the title. You would think that folks would just bypass it instead of reporting it as abuse. 

Status- Standing by.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @SGH  didn't they give you the ok to post the slaughter pics? I thought you contacted them and everything was cool?

Hell, didn't even have the slaughter in the pics. I tjought it was pretty tame. Meat and blood on a barbecue site? Wasn't like you had a gif of slitting the throat for crine out loud
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    Options
    @SGH  didn't they give you the ok to post the slaughter pics? I thought you contacted them and everything was cool?

Yes sir, they did. But it came with restrictions. A few people complained about the head shot and the cut throat pics. Oh well, I may try it again. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    what a bunch of wusses. I'm sure they are vegan and would never eat an animal treated in such a way. Certainly not commercially processed meat. Jeez.

Still blame stike and steven

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Why the hell would anyone read a post titled: 

Butchering a Hog. The Kill and Slaughter. Warning: Disturbing and Graphic Images.

and complain the images were too disturbing and graphic?

seriously- whoever that was, I hope they go away. I know we have to think of the children who frequent this site but sombitch this irritates me.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    this stike person you talk about has always been a problem on the forum. I didn't see him posting in here though 

i met him at an eggfest once. Arrogant, spiteful, angry person

but incredibly handsome. My wife found him attractive, but i think he bats for the other team. He was there with his diminutive canadian manservant. I think they were 'together'. The short guy had what looked like salad dressing in his wavy thick luxurious toupee
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    this stike person you talk about has always been a problem on the forum. I didn't see him posting in here though 

i met him at an eggfest once. Arrogant, spiteful, angry person

but incredibly handsome. My wife found him attractive, but i think he bats for the other team. He was there with his diminutive canadian manservant. I think they were 'together'. The short guy had what looked like salad dressing in his wavy thick luxurious toupee
    He is an agitator to be sure. I did hear he had a penchant for Canadian imitation calamari but he preferred it on the hoof and very much alive. Earthy but heavenly.

Oh well, he's gone now. sorry for the confusion.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Crap, I just said salad dressing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Stike doesn't like canadian calamari

• Little Steven
    Options
    That's not what you said in Georgia.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You were so uptight and nervous it was like a pencil sharpener 

• Little Steven
    Options
    That's about the size of it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Sorry guys. I didn't think I had that much pull.  ;)
  • SGH
    Options
    Sorry guys. I didn't think I had that much pull.  ;)
    Well now we know ;)

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    It was because @JohnInCarolina called me an anus man and I have very thin skin.